Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169453 times)

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 15 - Beta V0.3 - Warlock Overseers
« Reply #555 on: January 15, 2014, 06:56:58 pm »

So now I need some warlock to patrol the fort to keep my skelly working, yes Dark mistress I'm talking about you  ;D.
Will there labor reset after they turn oppost to life? Cause it will be PAIN to assign there job everytime it happen.

Next question, how can I enable necromancy job? cause I can't find it in labor menu. I'm building a lot of graveyard and plan to set some skelaton a full time grave digger.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:05:22 pm by Nuttycompa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #556 on: January 15, 2014, 07:03:34 pm »

Praying = Necromancy.

Remember that autosyndrome doesnt work if set to 'R' repeat. If you use the graveyard a lot, I am afraid you will have to add the jobs manually. If you have more suggestions for the graveyard, let me know. :)

Maybe I can use the praying labor for actual praying... Anyone has anything about dark gods, evil churches, etc, he wants to add? Some cuthulhuian cult maybe? Or several conflicting ideas, giving them access to 2-3 types of religion, but they exclude each other? (or no religions/beliefs?)

Will there labor reset after they turn oppost to life?
No - At embark skeletons have no labors assigned at all, but if your miner skeleton with active mining labor goes opposedtolife and turns back normal, he will still have the labor assigned and goes right back to work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:14:25 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - NOW WITH POLL - Day 15 - Beta V0.3 - Warlock Overseers
« Reply #557 on: January 15, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »

- sorry, double post -
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »

Some cuthulhuian cult maybe?
Doing something of the like with the goblins. Sort of merging that with the demon cults.

Of course, I don't mind if you do some chtonic stuff too.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #559 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:35 pm »

Its just that I love Lovecraft. I have read every single scrap of text he wrote, and play Arkham Horror/Mansions of Madness now and then on weekends. ;)

MDF has a lot of it already. the Shoggoths from mining non-euclydian rock, the Cult of the Carp god, which is clearly Innsmouth-inspired, the deep ones, cavern creatures in level 3....

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 15, 2014, 07:38:41 pm »

Which reaction use auto syndrome. Cause I can find a lot of old corsp by repeat just fine  :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:42:09 pm by Nuttycompa »

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 15, 2014, 09:00:47 pm »

Does the philosopher's stone require just the base metals, or all of them? Do you need
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for it?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »

About the poll:
You only list 'more xy' options.
What is imho most important is the balance between more and less ;) Reduce at one end, add stuff at the other one to keep everything manageable. After all it should still remain playable. So I really like steps like the much simplified materials (by grinding down everything and using souls in phylacteries) and similar stuff.
So I don't think that warlocks need every option he other races have under a different name (like a warlock copy of the embassy). Actually not giving them certain options would imho just make them more special. It was discussed earlier, but I felt the idea of just restricting them to melee only + magic quite interesting. Skip any defense turrets/siege engines and you have some interesting change compared what everyone does in a dwarven fort. At the same time you have cut down complexity by a bit, and can in return add it again with the magic system.
Similarly cut some other stuff to put other new systems in. This is not directly aimed and what you have presented thus far, most things I consider quite interesting and fun, but reading all the suggestions here sometimes really hurts my head, when thinking how anyone should manage all that feature/number bloat.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:20 pm »

If I could vote for "more lovecraft" twice, I would.

This should be Lovecraft Fortress, Blood of Arthomokh

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 16, 2014, 01:34:01 am »

Any thoughts on tying the soul item to the hearts and/or brains of creatures and having some spells which can potentially cause damage to an opponent by tearing at their very soul?

Since souls are a very useful commodity for warlocks it would have a somewhat built in detriment against over use if killing a creature by tearing out its soul destroyed the usable soul in the process.  Probably a bit beyond scope, but it seemed warlocky enough to mention.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #565 on: January 16, 2014, 01:42:24 am »

I love where this is going right now! But if I had to choose things to improve.

1) Warlock specific versions of many of the workshops and buildings. They shouldn't be cribbing off of anyone else for the most part.

2) I won't go into the details all over again with ideas, but you know I'm rooting for skeletons whose skill levels, both combat and regular skills, are based around a crafting type mechanic, not one where they level up. Make those suckers more like tools!

edit: Also if we're going to do cross overs. Do vampire counts. Not necrons or tomb kings.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:27:09 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 16, 2014, 02:57:52 am »

Not sure if I over look it or something, is there a way to increase skelaton skill other than combat ?
Cause it hard to satisfy harby with all the crappy grade furniture, engrave and food I have ::)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #567 on: January 16, 2014, 04:16:28 am »

Not sure if I over look it or something, is there a way to increase skelaton skill other than combat ?
Cause it hard to satisfy harby with all the crappy grade furniture, engrave and food I have ::)

No way currently. You have to tech up and get the stuff through other methods.

Which leaves me baffled personally, since why the heck would Warlocks have ultimate cosmic power just to live in squalor?

edit: Also just hit me. Wouldn't the lack of quality items play merry hob with the progression of sieges due to wealth?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:43:29 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Three Blind Mice running on a keyboard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:27 am »

With the Monolith, does that mean you could simply wall off a skeleton and a monolith and have an immortal fort (however boring)?

Sorry, not trying to poke holes, just trying to see exploits to close up.

Also; has anyone else had the old corpse from the graveyard attacked by the various opposed to life zombies? no damage, 3 month long combat before my ghoul got around to butchering the old corpse.
RegalDoom! The Little Warlock Who Could!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137494.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #569 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:38 am »

The old corpses I want to insta-kill when I get around it. They spawn, die, and you butcher the corpse.

The dark crystals/Pylons that control undead are powered by warlocks. If all warlocks die, the pylons dont control the undead anymore. No worries, I got that exploit covered. ;) I will write this today, I really like the idea. I will make them use a radius that goes through solid rock as well, so pasture a pylon and get a 25-tile radius of control, regardless of line of sight.

Skeleton and Warlock skill learning in workshops will be added as well. :)

there are not many copied workshops, only basics. The 4 crafters, the pottery, the sawmill, the slaughterhouse. Thats it. All just for crafts and furniture, wood and meat.

I cant do the "tear out soul" thing, but I can certainly remove the soul by using itemcorpses/destroying the corpse. If you cant bring it to the butchers, you wont get any souls. Using fire magic already does that. And something you might not have considered: Reanimating corpses to fight for you also makes their corpses/souls unavailable. So you have to decide between getting free meat shields running around, OR the resources in terms of souls, bones and meat.

mahrgell: Balancing and no-bloat is not on the list, because thats something I do anyway.

Dox: Lovecraft it is. :)

EDIT: Oh, and about the traps: Warlocks only have the bare mininum. One pump mechanism, one spike, one sawblade. So you can build screw pumps, upright spears/spikes, and sawmills. Thats all they are used for.

In theory I could take the entire mechanic skill set away from them. No siege engines, no mechanisms, no traps. But that would also mean no pumps, no wells, no screw pump, no levers, nothing that requires mechanisms. Thats overkill. If I could only remove traps I would even do it,but I can only remove the entire group of labors.

And my idea of creep-spawning doesnt work. I wanted to cover entire areas with contaminants that help warlocks and hinder invaders, but the damn civ-members and their hardcoded AI... of course they want to clean it. -.-
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:27:35 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 110