Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169725 times)

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1140 on: February 09, 2014, 09:09:13 am »

So how to Warlocks play in adv mode (if they can)?
Also can someone direct me to a good tower building strategy thread?

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:05 am »

Yeeeah Skeletons are annoying. I have a bunch of them, but none show up in the military screen, so i cannot use them in a squad. The Inscriptor reaction for Skeletons does not make them appear on the list either.

If the control thing is the problem, wouldnt it be best to just remove it? Its a great feature, but if there is no fix then it kinda ruins Skeletons. Using a Warlock for a squad leader is ok, but id rather have the ability to make junk squads of skeletons to throw at invaders, whilst keeping my precious Warlocks out of combat.

Could you not remove the control feature, and instead make Skeletons weak and slow when away from a Warlock/Pylon for too long? Not sure if that is even possible.

and once again, screw Vampires. So many Ghouls/Locks have died to these stupid guys even when i have over 100 units of blood and bloodwine.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 09, 2014, 10:31:42 am »

Honestly I have to agree. I have to dump pylons in every single room for every single individual workshop, just so that I don't constantly need to send a warlock to control them. I've NEVER once lost a skeleton because they wandered too far away; they always just get stuck in various spots with pylons just a few squares away. That nuisance combined with how my dreadnought skeleton wasn't able to become a cryptlord (because going opposed to life even for just a second removes them from the civilization) makes me hate the control mechanic.

Vampires annoy me as well, but at least there are a few solutions for them, like segregating your fort or eventually curing them with the lair. IMO both of these features should have toggles.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 09, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

I think dazbuzz's idea of massively debuffing them instead of removing them from civ when not under control is a really good solution to the problem.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 09, 2014, 10:41:44 am »

7 years into my fort and I'v noticed some rather odd bugs.

Mindless dead will not attack invaders. Nor will invaders attack them. This also includes my own skeletons that get stuck outside of the fort and I lose control of. They will only go after wild animals. They won't even attack animal mounts. I had a small army of animated corpses from the necromatic circle path *through* the invading army just to kill monkeys. I suspect invaders are receiving the same syndrome buff that warlocks receive.

Cannot appoint a cryptlord. (I think this one is known).

Skeletons that are in the military, do not stay in the military. Even surrounded by pylons and warlocks, they still disappear from the cryptlord squad I stick them in. I used therapists assign unit to military function as a workaround for inability to appoint a cryptlord noble. (They pop out of the squad within 1 - 5 minutes. I never lost control of them). Interestingly enough, they tend to hold onto their equipment even though they aren't in the military. My ironbone skeleton archers, JFK and Elvis will shoot at any enemy that wanders to close despite no longer being in a squad.

I have a theory. It is only based on how I think I understand how you made all this work. I suspect it has to do with the overlapping syndrome buff that keeps them controllable. Even though they are controllable, the act up updating the state of the skeleton from when one buff wears out and a new one is applied does it. If this is the case, then I also suspect building the skeleton banner will fix it, since then there will no longer be a state change. I'm a hellava long way from testing that theory.

Torture Chamber: I've been having lots of fun using this one on the random things that invade me. A were-dwarf-gilla monster got stuck in my cage traps. I turned him into a ghoul. However, this doesn't cure the were monster curse, and he transformed and attacked later. (Not really a bug, I was just curious how they would interact). However, all my ghouls created from invaders get attacked by some members of my fort and killed. I turned a number of goblins into ghouls, and my own skeletons beat them to death. Not sure why. I'm assuming it has to do with the invader performing a hostile action while in life and thus is still viewed as hostile as a ghoul.

Fort wealth. My wealth has overflowed into the negative integers....then magically became positive normal wealth numbers later. I don't mind, except it has my fort a free for all for invasions despite being nowhere near the population requirements. I had my first invasion before I hit 20 civ members. Now I'm at 34 and I have massive 100 man armies of dwarves, drow, orcs, and goblins beating down my door at all times.

Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:42 am »

The Race is incredibly fun to play, but I also have major problems with early sieges. I was just completely annihilated by humans sieging me in the very first summer, shortly after the first migrant wave. The game before that had Dwarves appear first autumn. They destroyed me pretty quickly. If this is intentional, can someone provide some directions for what to do first? I was barely done with my first few rooms and building Workshops, and was jsut getting to Necromancy Cirlces to create more Skeletons.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1146 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:40 am »

The Race is incredibly fun to play, but I also have major problems with early sieges. I was just completely annihilated by humans sieging me in the very first summer, shortly after the first migrant wave. The game before that had Dwarves appear first autumn. They destroyed me pretty quickly. If this is intentional, can someone provide some directions for what to do first? I was barely done with my first few rooms and building Workshops, and was jsut getting to Necromancy Cirlces to create more Skeletons.
I noticed that. Just open the GUI, races and set their siege and trade times to late or very late, then gen a new world.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:27 pm »

I had assumed it was intentional. Ive almost always had enough time to set up walls and a bridge before a siege hits. I recommend you guys embark with some stone blocks and 4 Hourglasses, along with alteast 2 Warlocks. With one Hourglass and some blocks you can instantly set up a Soul Syphon, then butcher 3 of those minions your Warlocks bring for souls, which allows you to create 3 Phylacteries and set up an Ethereal Gate. You can then pump out an unlimited amount of blocks and build your walls fast.

Ive tried fighting the sieges, but its always been suicide to take them head-on. The Dwarves will be using copper/iron level gear, along with a few steel level weapons. Even with just one or two steel weapons, they will chop up your Ghouls in no time. The only way i can imagine surviving is by making some Soul Wisps or a 1-tile wide corridor filled with atleast 10 cage traps.

Question though, if i set Goblins to "good", will they invade my fort?

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 09, 2014, 06:48:53 pm »

Anyone have any luck with the magma wells?  I can't get any of the reactions to spawn magma for version V4h.

I get the following output in DFHack in a red text:
...asterworkDF V4h\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/eruption.lua:69: attempt to perfo
rm arithmetic on local 'ry' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        ...asterworkDF V4h\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/eruption.lua:69: in funct
ion 'eruption'
        ...asterworkDF V4h\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/eruption.lua:125: in main
 chunk
        (...tail calls...)

My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 09, 2014, 07:28:17 pm »

Dazbuzz : You have to let skel keep running reaction until they create masterwork, I always give them 10 orders just in case, and goblin already invade warlock due to ethic difference.

hanspeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 09, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »

Debuffing Skeletons seems like a good alternative to them going opposed to life and out of the military forever. Maybe let them take periodical damage, lose limbs, fall apart and eventually die when out of reach of the pylons. One small thing, regarding pylons: could you set their range to 21 or 31, so we can set them up by shift-moving the cursor. Saves measuring distances all the time when setting them up.
Question: does the range of the pylons work in the z direction as well? Through walls/floor?

Regarding warpstone industry: perhaps remove the soul siphon buffs from ghouls entirely and move it to giving them buffs/mutations(?) via warpstones which, of course, can go horribly horribly wrong. Is it possible to randomly mutate a creature to get, say, an extra limb? Claws instead of hands?
Maybe that'd be a nice addition to the fleshsmith as well - tinkering with the ghouls, adding and removing appendages, sewing in metalplates etc. seems like a very warlocky thing to do.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »

I've got some issues with the raiding system. Putting them here because there's no sign of a [Warlock]-bug reports and known issues thread.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:37:13 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 10, 2014, 01:33:12 am »

I had assumed it was intentional. Ive almost always had enough time to set up walls and a bridge before a siege hits. I recommend you guys embark with some stone blocks and 4 Hourglasses, along with alteast 2 Warlocks. With one Hourglass and some blocks you can instantly set up a Soul Syphon, then butcher 3 of those minions your Warlocks bring for souls, which allows you to create 3 Phylacteries and set up an Ethereal Gate. You can then pump out an unlimited amount of blocks and build your walls fast.

Ive tried fighting the sieges, but its always been suicide to take them head-on. The Dwarves will be using copper/iron level gear, along with a few steel level weapons. Even with just one or two steel weapons, they will chop up your Ghouls in no time. The only way i can imagine surviving is by making some Soul Wisps or a 1-tile wide corridor filled with atleast 10 cage traps.

Question though, if i set Goblins to "good", will they invade my fort?

It may simply be because im still very noobish in terms of DF. I tend to play for a while and then get distracted by other things. Also, I dont like walling myself in from the get go, because it feels like cheating a bit, especially when playing a race where a substantial amount of your minions dont have to eat or drink.

Thanks for advice Meph, gonna gen me a new world and try it out this evening.

Also, one thing I wanna note. I find the Ghouls fighting Style incredibly entertaining. I browsed some combat reports while they were hunting (It gets quite boring in those initial stages, where everyone is either digging or hauling), and its glorious how they rip and tear everything apart, not to mention their incredible speed. Have yet to try out how they use Whips tough, im very curious how combat looks when you equip some of them.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 10, 2014, 09:56:18 am »

What am I doing wrong with military?  All I have is Ghoul master, which I have with ghouls training lashing. I can't use the 4 evils or crypt lord and can't yet afford the rooms for the overlord. What are people doing with the skeletons that can be in the military?  I'd like some to use heavy weapons like scythes and another squad for posioned arrows but even with a working crypt lord that'd just be one squad.

I don't mind the idea of ghouls or warlocks leading every squad, but they just don't seem to be available to create. Could the 4 evils be able to have 3-5 units each?

Right now my best military is the zombies. They clean the map of life well, but yet to face true invaders with those.

My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 10, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug, but has anyone else been having issues with Slag disposal? Ive been telling my guys to dump Slag in the Slag Pit thing, but its...producing Slag Doors at an alarming rate. Im talking hundreds of Slag Doors. I did order it to make some Slag Doors a while ago, but that order has long since been completed, and ive just been setting it to repeatedly dispose of the Slag since.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 110