Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Iron Diadem, Night One: Things Said Behind Bars - [ABORTED]  (Read 72137 times)

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem, Day One: Rex Danorum
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2014, 03:44:48 am »

makeinu:
Imp:
Is that a platypus rampant on your emblazon?
No, its a star-nosed mole.

Okay, that's even more odd.

Your colors speak of peace, innocence, joy, hope. How do the charges you selected relate to that?
What charges I selected where now?  I don't understand what you're asking me, explain/link?

The charges on an emblazon, the shield part of a coat of arms, are the decorative bits, such as your garlic, and my dragon. As opposed to the field, or background, or the border, et cetera.

Your choices, and those of several others, have no meaning in heraldry, which in and of itself means little. So, I merely wondered at your choices.

Mine have personal meaning to me, all relating to my own family name and it's pronunciation as that relates to two wildly different languages. It's an in-joke, if you will, just for me. But, they also have, from the colors to the charges, even the field, actual heraldric meaning, and Vector did a splendid job of capturing that in my role.

In this format, however, the King is the only kill. His is the lynch vote, the only one. And, by the nature of the game, he's confirmed Town.
I understand that the KingMaker is Town for Sure.  What proves that each and every King is Town?  I understood that the King is whomever the KingMaker selects, and the KingMaker can select anyone alive?

Ah, you're right. I misread. It's the Kingmaker that must be Town.

ooh.  So now that you understand this - does that change your answer to the King/vig question at all?

Actually, yes, it might. I'll have to think on that. One thing still stands: at least that isn't on top of the lynch and a scum night kill. I'll get back to this after I've had the chance to cons...

Actually, no. It doesn't really change the answer. Because in that case the killer is known, it's perhaps easier to use that information to assess whether the King-for-a-day might be scum, whereas the Vig is still killing anonymously. My Vig hatred runs deep, but it's more nuanced than it seems on surface.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2014, 04:06:03 am »

Your colors speak of peace, innocence, joy, hope. How do the charges you selected relate to that?
What charges I selected where now?  I don't understand what you're asking me, explain/link?

The charges on an emblazon, the shield part of a coat of arms, are the decorative bits, such as your garlic, and my dragon. As opposed to the field, or background, or the border, et cetera.

Your choices, and those of several others, have no meaning in heraldry, which in and of itself means little. So, I merely wondered at your choices.

Mine have personal meaning to me, all relating to my own family name and it's pronunciation as that relates to two wildly different languages. It's an in-joke, if you will, just for me. But, they also have, from the colors to the charges, even the field, actual heraldric meaning, and Vector did a splendid job of capturing that in my role.

Ahh, thank you.

My charges relate to the actual colors incidentally or not at all.  My charges related to the meanings you attribute to those colors incidentally, but there is a connection. I would ascribe more perseverance, endurance, and being what one is, no matter what or where one is.

Would you explain the captured meaning that your own Coat of Arms displays?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2014, 04:19:21 am »

Would you explain the captured meaning that your own Coat of Arms displays?

Not entirely, as it would be tantamount to a role claim to explain it all.

The Fleur-de-lis is the heraldric symbol for France, but also represents a sixth son. Black represents constancy and grief. Silver, peace, wisdom, innocence. The dragon is a guardian and seeker of treasures. Sanguine, or red, military strength, the warrior's color.

So, a faithful knight, born of a noble line, but not in line to rule, plagued by grief for a lost love, loyal to the last. Very well captured from a simple blazon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:37 am »

Kinda busy, writing this while eating breakfast, sorry haven't been participating much etc. Should clear up over weekend.

Cheeetar
I rule only as regent in these stressful times to resolve our current crisis. I have little doubt that once the traitors have been exposed, my duty will be lessened by abdication to the rightful heir. In what capacity, that you claim to wish to continue, did you serve?

The rightful heir? And who might that be? One proven to root out the traitors at this very table? Who is there better-suited?

I have done all *cough* tasks appointed to me by the Queen. I don't think it's the time to quibble over exact trifles while there is such an important issue at hand. *coughs again and loosens his collar*

Imp
*Leans forward, her face scrunched into a squint as she gazes directly at, or perhaps through, Vivianus*

Your words form discordant patterns.  There is naught but cutting, severing, and pain in your speech.  Does grief so rule your mind that agony and despair is all that remains known to you?  The world has evil, yes, it may always have had evil.  But it still has much that is good.

The good will only prosper if we cut the evil out as quickly as a healer cuts a rotting wound.

If there is a hand of evil overstretched across the realm, it is not in me to fight it.  I lack even the eyes which can see such a distant thing.  I can but support and serve as I can.  I asked you before, who you were to view as evil what the queen chose for herself and loved.  I ask you now, who, and what, are you that you believe yourself fit to judge and limit our Queen, to redefine her from what she actually was into some... other... as you would say she was, lessening her to all who hear the falseness you speak?

It is you that accuse me of this. If you are unable or unwilling to fight the scourge around us now, what use were you ever to the Queen? Why are you still at this table?

*An arm is lifted, the hand slowly turning to point towards the black-clad servant*  The Queen chose as the Queen chose, and she decided what she did from a wealth of many options.  What right do you claim to reinterpret the Queen's perceptions and intentions?  She stood against evil - true.  She viewed darkness as evil - false.  That is sister to calling the Queen herself evil; for our Queen chose to wear the Black and nothing any could offer her, though she welcomed her court graced with color, nothing could tempt her to enclose her Person in bright color.
More twisting of words. Is all red fire, or blood? Is the whiteness of chalk inherently holy by colour alone? No sooner is darkness the same. The Queen's fashion choices and the state of the realm are far-removed from each other in discussion.

I'm saying it stood out because it's the only shield with a clear meaning so far. The others, I don't know. The garlic? Why with the garlic?! It's good with cheese, yes, but on a shield?

Garlic is what garlic is; distinctly so, explicitly so.  To know garlic is to know garlic.

Why would garlic not be on a shield?
Will you not answer one question straight, woman? Tell us about the garlic. Do you use it for cooking, or darker deeds?

Caz: What's all this talk about vampires?
Caz
....Were you serious about the vampires or are you pulling it out of...literature?

I do not know if the bloodsuckers have reached Denmark, but the threat of any unholy force remains a constant. Just last night I heard a wailing from a chamber pot, and you try to tell me that this castle isn't haunted?

Caz!

We meet again on the field of wits. Well met.

An ankh is an unusual cross variant for an emblazon. What is the significance?
Hello again. *scratches his flowing moustache* Have we met? In the hallway, perhaps.

The ankh is a symbol of my house, of brighter and darker times. I won't tire you with the details.

b-by the way I am not sure I have said how awesome and inspiring you guys are enough times recently... *_*  I'll have to keep working to make better and better games!
Thanks for your hard work on this Vector.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2014, 04:48:51 am »

Cheeetar
I rule only as regent in these stressful times to resolve our current crisis. I have little doubt that once the traitors have been exposed, my duty will be lessened by abdication to the rightful heir. In what capacity, that you claim to wish to continue, did you serve?

The rightful heir? And who might that be? One proven to root out the traitors at this very table? Who is there better-suited?

I have done all *cough* tasks appointed to me by the Queen. I don't think it's the time to quibble over exact trifles while there is such an important issue at hand. *coughs again and loosens his collar*

Very well,  you may attempt to keep your petty secrets. There are other ways of finding out what you've done. The rightful heir... I'm not quite sure. Although it is true the Queen dictated us to rule in her stead, I'm not sure she meant for a council ruled Denmark indefinitely, certainly not one which consisted partly of foreign interests. The prospect of the throne falling entirely onto me if this crisis is resolved is... troubling.

Manservant! The Queen must have left some sort of notes, a long term plan in the event of her death. Am I right in assuming this council is for the short term stability of the nation, rather than a long term prospect?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2014, 04:55:15 am »

Cille opens her mouth, then subsides, her attention clearly upon the new King while he speaks.  Once attention shifts to the black-clad servant hurrying on this new errand and the King appears to have spoken all he now meant to, Cille turns back to Vivianus and answers.

blather and insults

I serve in my capacity.  You insult, even the very will and choices of our Queen, and in more ways than one.  In what capacity had you served?  Why did she welcome you within her Council?

I do not see what you claim is.  This 'hand of evil', these 'vampires', the 'haunting' you now speak of.  I do know the task before me, I have worked to read the documents and seek to expose all traitors among us.  That is the task before us all, and you speak of night terrors fit to frighten a child, with a story always changing.

You fear fear itself, perhaps.

I have already answered you about garlic being upon my shield.  I have cooked with it, and rarely used it in dyes.  What is your fixation with garlic?  What is your fixation with insulting our Queen?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2014, 09:39:50 am »

Persus13:

If your shield is, as you imply, not related to this situation, then why 13 golden crowns?
Because that was on the shield I submitted, that as I've said before, was an artist's depiction of a medieval king's shield. I didn't even realize it had 13 crowns on it until the game started.

Persus13:
Can you tell which names are Danish and which aren't?

Danish naming traditions actually were very tightly connected to use of the datter/søn(sen in more recent years)  I wouldn't be surprised to find that only those of us with a patronymic paired with datter/sen are actually of typical and pure Danish ancestry, with the others actually being from other European countries or having somewhat exotic family situations. (though there are Danish surnames which do not follow that pattern).

'von' is commonly part of German names, and 'heim' as part of a surname is very often German or Norwegian.

Brzęczyszczykiewicz is almost certainly Polish.

Gwenhwyfar is usually Welsh.

More details on Danish surnames for the interested:  http://www.lenekottal.dk/artikler/artikler.php?aid=20&lang=en  (about datter and sen)
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dnkcen/FAQ/1000surnames.html  (modern-day 1000 most common Danish surnames)

I am Gwenhwyfar, who was found in a forest with a shield by the queen and became her advisor.

Were you still a child when you were found?  Do you know who named you?
No, I was not a child, and the queen was the one who named me.

Also, thanks for the Danish name information, it seems good.

Jim:
How long do you think this day will last?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

Makeinu:
In this format, however, the King is the only kill. His is the lynch vote, the only one. And, by the nature of the game, he's confirmed Town.

This is not correct.  The KingMAKER is always town.  The king may very well be scum!  (Said, but it needs to be said again)

Toaster:

This is the first BYOR I've ever played, and the first actual Kingmaker. What, in your estimation, should I pay attention to as to differences due to those two factors, comparing this to a normal game?

The BYOR part is just fun.  Expect everyone to have multiple abilities, which can lead to night oddities.

Kingmaker is much more significant.  Primarily note the correction above as for differences, but also there's not much in the way of a vote pattern to track.  The hints are there, but it's not as obvious.  Non-king scum can lurk in the background more easily.  Scum kings are thrust into the spotlight where they don't want to be- but with great power they crave.  If popular position goes against a townie, they can easily take that lynch and get out, but don't put a bus past anyone.

Imp:
Do you know why you, of the various members of your family, was the one selected to serve the Queen's Council?

It isn't explicitly spelled out, but I believe I am the most prominent daughter (with no mention of sons) and I have a good sense of the financial ins and outs of the country.

Just last night I heard a wailing from a chamber pot, and you try to tell me that this castle isn't haunted?

Spoiler: Oh God I can't resist (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:44 am »

PFP
Manservant! The Queen must have left some sort of notes, a long term plan in the event of her death. Am I right in assuming this council is for the short term stability of the nation, rather than a long term prospect?
You..don't really want to do that. :x

Kinda busy, writing this while eating breakfast, sorry haven't been participating much etc. Should clear up over weekend.
[...]
Caz
....Were you serious about the vampires or are you pulling it out of...literature?

I do not know if the bloodsuckers have reached Denmark, but the threat of any unholy force remains a constant. Just last night I heard a wailing from a chamber pot, and you try to tell me that this castle isn't haunted?
Dear me, I wonder if this is a case of Caz' original comedy (stop hurting my ribs).

You do know that chamber pots are use for more..personal things, right? Natural personal things we humans do after consuming stuff.

I seriously doubt there'd be a way to out scum judging by heraldry because given my origin..yeah.

Sorry for lacking prodding. Sorta got emergency-ish busy in the past hours and catching up.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:55 am »

Jim:
Initially my question to Cheeetar was going to be something about the scales on his shield and ruling fairly and justly or something, but I decided to make fun of it instead since it does look there's a horse on a stick on it.

The question to Toaster is because I think I might know what he submitted as his image and because we are bros.

How come you ask me about questions over heraldry, when Imp asked a bunch more than me?

And what do you make of all this RP?
You were the first one I saw. As for the RP, it's interesting because it adds another layer of interaction to the game.

Caz:
Caz

I do not know if the bloodsuckers have reached Denmark, but the threat of any unholy force remains a constant.
I guess zero is a constant...

The ankh is a symbol of my house, of brighter and darker times. I won't tire you with the details.
Yes you will.

makeinu:
Urist Imiknorris:

From a family of inventors comes a historian to the court. Underground inventors, nonetheless. Are you a gnome?
I see myself more as a dwarf, really.

PFP
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

ZU:  I meant to ask you- are you Danish?  The *heim says yes, but the "von" throws me.
Yep. ^_^

What are your thoughts on what might be gleaned from our heraldry, in game terms?
Nothing.

not-feeling-like-a-zombie-today urist
Imp: Why are almost all your questions flavor related when Vector said flavor isn't relevant to the game?
That's a very strange question, ZU.  The 'flavor' I asked about was primarily directly related to the shields - and those shields came from each player, for all the imagery has been filtered through another person's interpretation and artistic ability.  Asking about these shields, both from the players who picked the imagery to be used and asking opinions of preference about the shields overall is a way to attempt to ellicit information about others' thought patterns and intentions.  A successful way?  We'll see.  But psychologists play a little game involving ink blots and the impressions people get from such things... surely such a game doesn't only function through ink blots.
What purpose does a FoS serve in a kingmaker game, when you are not currently King?
The majority of questions I see are about 'flavor' of one taste or another, from character names to references of darkness and light, to the heraldry, to our character nationalities.
I asked the questions I did because they seem and feel appropriate to me to ask at that point in play.  I'll refer you to the concept of RVS questioning, and how we just passed a N0 where we recieved flavor PMs (some more than others apparently) and how we were invited to interact with our moderator in a flavorful fashion.  This game's flavor, one form of it or another, is very much on my mind now and when I selected those questions.  Personally, I've been swimming in the theme of this game for the last dayish, and I'm finding it refreshing and enjoyable - it's close to exactly what my real-life wearied, stressed, and hassled spirit needed at this time.  (Thank you, Vector and other flavor-and-other-game-content providers!)
Of all who ask about one flavor of the flavor or another, why do you focus on my focus upon it?
How does that help you find scum? We got roles from hearlds, not the other way around. (Though that would be kinda fun)
FoS is the same as every other game. Shows suspicion.
You focused the most on flavor.

Caz: Why are you so insistent on vampires?
UI: Why are you so against vampires?
Everyone: It'd be nice if you guys used blue as a make-shift vote so we can see your suspicions more clearly.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »

Jim: How long do you think this day will last?

Until Cheeetar executes somebody, of course.

I don't know how much time that's going to take. I seem like the wrong person to ask if you want an answer to that question.

unreadable
IC
speak

I'm not going to waste any time trying to decipher whatever it is you're talking about. If there are any obstacles between me and your point, then I'm going to quit trying right there.

As for the RP, it's interesting because it adds another layer of interaction to the game.

Are you learning anything useful from all this RP?

Is this additional layer of interaction one you're going to participate in?

Caz: Why are you so insistent on vampires?
UI: Why are you so against vampires?

Why is anybody talking about vampires in the first place?

Yes, I know, because garlic. But it's still dumb.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »

unreadable
IC
speak

I'm not going to waste any time trying to decipher whatever it is you're talking about. If there are any obstacles between me and your point, then I'm going to quit trying right there.

Sorry- I'm having perhaps a bit more fun with this than I should be. I'll be as blunt as possible when it comes to questioning and executing people.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »

Oh, I asked for a gift on my shield.

It's because in the Black Cat Manga, he refers to the killing as a 'gift of bad luck'. I'm not really sure if it really signifies anything, but the flavor text I've gotten seems to point to that it doesn't.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »

Oh, I asked for a gift on my shield.

It's because in the Black Cat Manga, he refers to the killing as a 'gift of bad luck'. I'm not really sure if it really signifies anything, but the flavor text I've gotten seems to point to that it doesn't.

Suspect, please introduce yourself. A name, an occupation, perhaps your reason for being gathered on this council today would all be basic elements of an introduction.
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32