Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98445 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: oh yeah, Fates is about to come out
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2016, 04:02:08 pm »

Lyn's was also pretty cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2016, 04:23:55 pm »

The paladin's crit animation was one of my favorites. Relatively simplistic but oh so satisfying.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2016, 12:22:30 pm »

Speaking of ludicrous animations, does anybody else think that the cutscene in Awakening where Chrom fights "Marth" looks ridiculous?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »

It could be better.
Aether looks completely and utterly ridiculous, though.
Black lives matter.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2016, 02:39:36 pm »

Speaking of ludicrous animations, does anybody else think that the cutscene in Awakening where Chrom fights "Marth" looks ridiculous?
Indeed. The spinning thing he does is especially hilarious.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2016, 02:41:14 pm »

I do think that's Aether.
Black lives matter.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »

I do think that's Aether.
Welp, my bad. I totally missed that post about it. I feel stupid now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2016, 10:58:01 pm »

Since we're on the topic of bizarre things in Fire Emblem, I have to draw your attention to the talksprites from Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Man, the first game was weird. Like, for starters, half the classes couldn't promote. You know how Leif doesn't promote until the game's almost over? Marth can't promote, period. There's no warriors, Bord and Cord are fighters forever. You got two units whose entire purpose was using ballistae, because ballistae were their own class. Weapon Level went up like a regular stat--one of Jeigan's flaws (aside from the fact that all his nonzero growths were 10%) was that he could never use better weapons because his weapon level couldn't go up.

Perhaps worst of all was that practically half the units in the game were throwaway units with no characterization at all, and to whom other characters were objectively superior. Like, you know how Radiant Dawn has a lot of crappy units who you couldn't use or weren't worth using at all, like "I joined nine levels too low!" Fiona or "My sister has better starting stats and growths than me!" Lyre? At least half your army in Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light was like that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2016, 11:07:27 pm »

Maybe they were afraid that people would lose a ton of units, and thus wanted to provide backups?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 11:22:40 pm »

Well, that's understandable, yeah. But there's just so many of them. You got Wolf and the same-class but objectively-worse Sedgar in the same level; you never got any more bow knights after that. But then, you got eight different Social Knights, and 5 different pegasus knights. Bord and Cord were two out of three fighters, and two of four axe-users. There were 6 different mercenaries and 8 different possible magic-users, but you only got 2 thieves and 2 ballista-ers.

Not that it's bad, of course, it was just sort of bizarre compared to the later games' tradition of having 3 or 4 of each class at most and almost never less than 2.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:23 am »

It's almost as if it's the first game in the series and its mechanics haven't been refined or improved yet, huh? Being on the NES certainly wouldn't help things, but at least they had significantly improved the formula by the third game (seeing as FE:Gaiden was its own little thing). Once you've released the game and gotten feedback from a wider audience I would hope imagine that that'd make future installments less weird.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2016, 12:03:11 pm »

It's almost as if it's the first game in the series and its mechanics haven't been refined or improved yet, huh? Being on the NES certainly wouldn't help things, but at least they had significantly improved the formula by the third game (seeing as FE:Gaiden was its own little thing). Once you've released the game and gotten feedback from a wider audience I would hope imagine that that'd make future installments less weird.
Thank you for the sarcasm. >:I (although, admittedly, my post was a bit unnecessarily antagonistic)

I'm well aware that the first game wasn't as refined as the later games, and I don't blame them for it. I simply find it kind of amusing to look at how far the series has come since then and how weird the first game is in hindsight.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:10:55 pm by Tawarochir »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2016, 12:34:24 pm »

Oh yeah. It's definitely interesting to see how far games have come since their first installment. I completely agree with you there. And I didn't think that I was that sarcastic, was I?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2016, 08:13:26 pm »

I have sour memories of awakening due to the "ennemies spawn from this random edge of the map and immediately act, say goodbye to your healer hahaha". Made the hardcore mode kind of a pain, reloading from the start because of no fault of your own is not a fun mechanic.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:51 pm »

Fire Emblem Fates is now available for pre-loading from the Nintendo E-Shop, if anyone's interested.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 70