Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97704 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:09 pm »

JoshuaFH, I'm a bit confused as to why you're working yourself up so much over things that are completely optional and don't affect your personal gameplay in any way unless you choose to make use of them. So what if someone gives their Awakening characters those legendary weapons? So what if people grind to a silly degree? That's their choice, and if that's how they choose to have fun then more power to them.

I have a buddy whose first action upon getting a new game is to look up cheats and hacks for it. I don't agree with that sort of thing, so you know what I do? I let him go ahead and break his games. He paid for them, he can do whatever he wants as long as he has fun with it. There's nothing wrong with live-and-let-live.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 23, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »

Still, if any of you folks are going through Conquest right now and plan on playing Birthright? Play Hard mode. Normal is faaaar too easy.
Adding to this, speaking as the kind of guy who played the older games on Normal: Conquest Hard is somewhat BS, in my opinion. I don't know if I've just had really bad luck with the RNG or what, but I found it literally impossible to finish Chapter 10 and had to tone it down to normal, and everything leading up to that had this nasty veneer of requiring near-perfect play to stand a chance. Seeing as I think they took True Hit out, the dicey RNG doesn't always help matters, either; sure, Arthur manages to get crits on 14% chances now, but the generally lower accuracy rates tend to lead to an unbelievably irritating number of misses on your side (most notably on the formerly practically-guaranteed 80s and 90s range) and a suspiciously large number of unlikely hits for the enemy.
I'm pretty sure I heard Casual was added before awakening, but in a japan-only game. Does that actually count?
It was New Mystery of the Emblem, a remake of the 3rd game's Book II. That one also introduced the avatar mechanic. It wasn't released overseas due to Shadow Dragon bombing so badly, and I'm not 100% sure but I think not releasing it overseas threw a lot of their revenue out, which led to the possibility of Awakening being the last game.

I don't think they thought their strategy out very well there.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 23, 2016, 04:33:52 pm »

JoshuaFH, I'm a bit confused as to why you're working yourself up so much over things that are completely optional and don't affect your personal gameplay in any way unless you choose to make use of them. So what if someone gives their Awakening characters those legendary weapons? So what if people grind to a silly degree? That's their choice, and if that's how they choose to have fun then more power to them.

I have a buddy whose first action upon getting a new game is to look up cheats and hacks for it. I don't agree with that sort of thing, so you know what I do? I let him go ahead and break his games. He paid for them, he can do whatever he wants as long as he has fun with it. There's nothing wrong with live-and-let-live.

Well, it's not about how other people enjoy it, because honestly that doesn't effect me at all. What it boils down to is an idea I've been ruminating on for a long time now: the idea that every game, regardless of genre, is a puzzle game. The definition of puzzle being that there's some problem where you have a definite goal that you'd like to reach, but the path to that goal is not immediately obvious, you have to think about it. The only factors that change is the complexity of the puzzle and the time you have to complete it. A JRPG? A puzzle game, just with the puzzle being the game world and your character building. An RTS? It's a puzzle, just with your AI or Human opponent being the puzzle to overcome. A Call of Duty-style FPS? That's a puzzle game, just with each 'puzzle' being the moment to moment instances of decision making that leads to your victory.

With that in mind, anything that clearly makes the 'core' of the puzzle more worthwhile to solve is innately good, while anything that trivializes it is innately harmful. To use another example: there's alot of games that have segments that if you fail at it, the game just gives you the option to skip it, which I massively resent, cause the game itself is admitting that it is not worth playing. If the game is willing to undermine itself and it's own core engagement, why should *I* feel the game is worth playing?

I'm thinking I'm just severely jaded from being a gamer since a young age, and I tolerated a lot of bullshit growing up, and I look back on it and I wonder why the hell I was spending my time on shitty games so often, and nowadays if I even catch one whiff of it, I'm turned off. It's just the kind of laziness in design that I feel nobody should tolerate, it's condescending to players that are honestly capable of more and better.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:00 pm »

It's fair to for you yourself to be sensitive to it due to your past poor experiences.  It seems odd to condemn others for playing the game in a different manner than you, however, or to condemn the game for offering settings to permit people to play in alternate ways.  Not all players play games as puzzles, after all; for some hypothetical Fire Emblem game (to avoid debates on the merits or lack therein of Fate's story in particular), let's say as an example, story may well be a strong draw.  To this person, a puzzle is not something that is inherently worthwhile, any more than setting up a whole bunch of soup cans in a particular order might be considered inherently entertaining to someone whose sole goal is to pass through a door that this act unlocks (for some reason); someone who values the end result more than the puzzle would likely prefer the door to be unlocked in the first place (by analogy, Phoenix Mode), or at the least that it use a more conventional key (by analogy, Casual Mode).  Forgive me if it seems trite, but it seems to introduce a small gap in your analysis that all games are puzzles played for the sake of the puzzle to neglect in it that not all people are you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:49:40 pm by Culise »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2016, 05:10:05 pm »

-everything is a puzzle-
More seriously:
To use another example: there's alot of games that have segments that if you fail at it, the game just gives you the option to skip it, which I massively resent, cause the game itself is admitting that it is not worth playing. If the game is willing to undermine itself and it's own core engagement, why should *I* feel the game is worth playing?
The implicit idea that something skippable is not worth playing is... misguided.

Counterexample.

You can decline the special double-gaiden chapter in FE7. Does that make it not worth playing?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2016, 10:45:32 pm »

-everything is a puzzle-
More seriously:
To use another example: there's alot of games that have segments that if you fail at it, the game just gives you the option to skip it, which I massively resent, cause the game itself is admitting that it is not worth playing. If the game is willing to undermine itself and it's own core engagement, why should *I* feel the game is worth playing?
The implicit idea that something skippable is not worth playing is... misguided.

Counterexample.

You can decline the special double-gaiden chapter in FE7. Does that make it not worth playing?

It's not about skippable scenes, it's about encouraging the idea of avoiding failure that is...

Let me just put what I mean in another way: The idea that failure or difficulty is bad is simply an unhealthy mindset to have, so anything that fosters the idea that avoiding failure or difficulty is irresponsible at the very least. When you teach a child that failing at something is bad, you're implying that THEY'RE bad or stupid for failing, and so they become more afraid and frustrated with failure. The problem with that is that failing at things is truly the only way to stretch out what your limitations are, so when a game implies that just avoiding challenge and avoiding failure is acceptable, you're subtly sabotaging their mindset and preventing them from growing.

So the laziness in design I was referring to earlier, it's that when there's a section in your game that's obviously challenging, and your playtesters are not succeeding, instead of redesigning it and making that failure more fun and something to learn from, they admit that failing is bad and pander to that unhealthy mindset. That's basically what I'm getting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:43 am »

ARGH

I was so close to beating Chapter 11 and then a teamed-up enemy attacked one of my squishies that had moved forward to score an easy kill. I had calculated that she could survive an attack from the active enemy, but I had forgotten to check the other enemy. That one had more than sufficient attack power to kill her, meaning that I now get to start this long slog of a chapter all over again.

Dammit Azura, what do I have to do? Have you sing a million times before ending each chapter?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 24, 2016, 01:02:54 am »

Is there any penalty or anything like that for just parking guys next to each other at the end of a sieze throne mission to farm support points?
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:52 am »

In Fates? I don't think they gain any support points just standing around next to each other. Maybe they do.

I know in older games, where support was gained through proximity, standing around next to each other was the way to do it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:20 am »

I"m still playing sacred stones.  I was just wondering if scumming it by standing around when the mission's over would have some kind of penalty.  Turn limits or something.
Shoes...

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2016, 01:14:14 am »

I"m still playing sacred stones.  I was just wondering if scumming it by standing around when the mission's over would have some kind of penalty.  Turn limits or something.
Unless you consider "feeling bad when the game gives you your turncount" a penalty, no.

YaW

• Bay Watcher
  • CremaGames
    • View Profile
    • CremaGames
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2016, 05:03:40 am »

As a european, I'm really sad the game's not out yet. We don't even have a launch date...  :'(

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2016, 08:50:36 am »

ARGH

I was so close to beating Chapter 11 and then a teamed-up enemy attacked one of my squishies that had moved forward to score an easy kill. I had calculated that she could survive an attack from the active enemy, but I had forgotten to check the other enemy. That one had more than sufficient attack power to kill her, meaning that I now get to start this long slog of a chapter all over again.

Dammit Azura, what do I have to do? Have you sing a million times before ending each chapter?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2016, 01:31:30 pm »

ARGH

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2016, 02:04:48 pm »

ARGH

Good luck with Ch.12 Sirus :) :P

I tried out the prisoner system, and managed to persuade a Pegasus Knight named Mikasa (I honestly wasn't expecting a random name on them) onto my team, and because I love Pegasus Knights I decided to even give her a couple levels, and it looked promising at first, she learned a couple abilities and I thought she could 'possibly' be a useful member of the team... It looks, however, that generics have terrible stat growth, as well as obviously no Social Links. So sorry Mikasa, looks like you're goin in the trash. I'm honestly disappointed, I wanted a blank generic I could fully ascribe a made-up personality and history to.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:09:22 pm by JoshuaFH »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 70