Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97714 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2016, 10:11:31 am »

Indeed. I second that on Vanessa. If you're not feeling with her, you've got another option later as well. Technically, two, but we don't talk about the third option round these parts.

Gilliam however is never a bad idea. Axe dudes or not, I've always had a soft spot for Knights and Generals. Because sometimes, the only thing between you and the enemy is that wonderful 'No Damage' sign!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2016, 10:37:20 am »

I dusted off my old Awakening cartridge to flub around with it while I amass funding to purchase Fates. Any idea how I'm supposed to cap RES?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2016, 10:38:23 am »

Find/buy a shitton of permanent RES bonus items?
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 23, 2016, 10:41:15 am »

I dusted off my old Awakening cartridge to flub around with it while I amass funding to purchase Fates. Any idea how I'm supposed to cap RES?

Keep restarting your characters from level one because the game lets you do that? That's honestly another feature I hated about Awakening, cause now whether anyone maxes out their stats is not a matter of 'if' but of 'when'.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2016, 11:11:38 am »

I just completed Conquest Chapter 15... MAN that was cool as hell. That was one of those "Eh? What's this... Oh woah WOOAAAH!" moments.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2016, 12:23:11 pm »

Keep restarting your characters from level one because the game lets you do that? That's honestly another feature I hated about Awakening, cause now whether anyone maxes out their stats is not a matter of 'if' but of 'when'.

Oh, because RNG if a character becomes strong or not is fun.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2016, 12:33:35 pm »

That little bit of RNG is something that I've both resented and appreciated as a staple of the series, because sometimes your efforts are squandered, and sometimes you hit a jackpot, but overall the stats averaged out, barring extreme RNG bad/good luck. Giving all characters infinite level ups removed that moment of excitement from leveling up from the game, ontop of the thought and care you'd normally put into carefully rationing the available enemies to level up your guys, because in the end it doesn't even matter, your characters, all of them, are destined to become godlike. The only thing the game asks is the time investment spent grinding, then re-grinding your characters. Even if it's entirely optional, I feel the game as a whole was much poorer for simply having it included.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:39 pm »

Honestly one of my favorite level up systems for Fire Emblem was in Radiant Dawn (though the overabundance and constant switching of character teams was not that much fun). For anyone who hasn't played it, in Radiant Dawn you had a pool of "bonus experience" that you could spend on your characters. Unlike previous games with bonus experience, in Radiant Dawn any level up triggered by bonus experience was always guaranteed to get exactly 3 stat upgrades (unless you had less than 3 stats that were not at maximum already). As a result the general idea was to level the character up normally until they capped their more common stats, then near the end dump bonus experience into them in order to level up the stats that they wouldn't normally level up in. It also led to some little tricks like giving bonus EXP someone to 99 EXP, then getting the last point normally (thus making it count like a "normal" level up), or level someone up as close to 99XP as you could normally, then dodging combat with them so you can drop the last point in with BEXP in order to get the guaranteed 3 stat points.

It seems like it might be a little annoying at first, but I found the system did a really good job of striking that line between still having the random effects of EXP and needing to somewhat manage who gets it on the battlefield, but while still giving enough control to players that having totally maxed out stats isn't just limited to the realms of RNG abuse or that one character with the incredible stat gains; you could reliably max out at least a few characters to guarantee that you get some by the end game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 23, 2016, 02:20:59 pm »

That little bit of RNG is something that I've both resented and appreciated as a staple of the series, because sometimes your efforts are squandered, and sometimes you hit a jackpot, but overall the stats averaged out, barring extreme RNG bad/good luck. Giving all characters infinite level ups removed that moment of excitement from leveling up from the game, ontop of the thought and care you'd normally put into carefully rationing the available enemies to level up your guys, because in the end it doesn't even matter, your characters, all of them, are destined to become godlike. The only thing the game asks is the time investment spent grinding, then re-grinding your characters. Even if it's entirely optional, I feel the game as a whole was much poorer for simply having it included.

Hmm, well said. Still, the units have hard caps, and for a lot of the DLC maps, you're absolutely going to need units that are totally capped to even have a chance. I'm of the opinion: Better a hard cap to a stat than a soft cap.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 23, 2016, 02:23:19 pm »

Just... Don't infinitely level them? There's nothing saying you have to do it?
Black lives matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 23, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »

Indeed. I second that on Vanessa. If you're not feeling with her, you've got another option later as well. Technically, two, but we don't talk about the third option round these parts.

Gilliam however is never a bad idea. Axe dudes or not, I've always had a soft spot for Knights and Generals. Because sometimes, the only thing between you and the enemy is that wonderful 'No Damage' sign!

Oh yeah, Gilliam was in there more for the axedude troubles early on than the hating him part, I like Gilliam.

Also, while obviously if you know the game then you can do that, I think the real problem is people coming in who haven't played before and getting a substandard experience.  The first time I played Sacred Stones all my guys were shitlers (I think my first promotion was on the mission with the pervert grado guy) cause I didn't realize it was a bad idea to let Seth gobble up all the experience every mission.  Then things got really hard for me once tier 2 enemies started showing up and my only tier 2 was Seth.
Shoes...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 23, 2016, 03:34:51 pm »

To be fair, Seth is good enough that he can solo the game. ^_^

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2016, 03:37:03 pm »

Just... Don't infinitely level them? There's nothing saying you have to do it?

It's simply my belief that even if something is purely optional, if it threatens what is obviously the primary engagement that the game is built around, then that optional thing actively detracts from the overall enjoyment of the game. I'm reminded of the Final Fantasy 7 port to PC, which explicitly allows you to cheat. You just have built-in cheat codes you can use to overcome basically whatever obstacle the game has. Now those cheats are optional, obviously, but just their existence is de-legitimizing the actual draw of the gameplay. It's like the game designers themselves are poking their heads through the computer monitor, and telling me themselves to not enjoy their game.

Actually, this reminds me of something else I want to talk about, that I'm actually REALLY on the fence about: There's free bonuses tied to the Social / Online Game Mechanic accessible through the crystal ball, atleast as far as I've explored it, it does give you free stuff, but it's just small stuff, that is one time, and it's not gamebreaking. Like, there's a bonus for purchasing both Conquest and Birthright, but it's some class change stuff, and two different stat enhancers, plus some more for when Revelations comes out. I'm extremely on the fence about that, cause it's not significantly game changing, but it's a purchased bonus, which is really hard to justify in my mind.

There's also bonuses for visiting castles, you get Dragon Vein Points to help you furnish your castle, plus the very act of visiting castles gives you access to weapons and staves that are simply not available in your route. I.e. you can purchase and upgrade Hoshido items while playing Nohr, and vice versa. Plus you can acquire more free gems and food. And while I wish that off-route items simply cost more, it feels alright because none of it ever adds to your main finite resource in Conquest: Gold. Everything still costs gold, which remains finite and valuable, so this perk isn't game breaking, but it's questionable.

The last thing is there's bonuses for visiting a lot of castles and battling players, so if you visit like 10 castles, or if you battle players, you get some free items that are redeemed from a list. They seem like really inconsequential items, but then again this list of free items is huge, and the possibility of grinding out visitations or battles to gain access to more of these items is possible, but the sheer number that you'd have to grind out makes it seem very unfeasible unless you've backed yourself into a very bad gamestate and you need every advantage you can get just to proceed with the game. Once again, I'm on the fence about it, in that it seems like it's fine, but there's still some friction with my personal game design scruples.

EDIT: But atleast it's not Awakening, which was just overt BS "Here's some free legendary weapons, have fun!". That was just garbage nonsense explicit cheating. God I can't shit on Awakening enough.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:52:47 pm by JoshuaFH »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2016, 03:57:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure I heard Casual was added before awakening, but in a japan-only game. Does that actually count?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 23, 2016, 04:04:34 pm »

I hear a lot of people talking about Birthright like it's "lol easy mode" but as someone who's playing it first, I can say that on Hard mode, it can actually be quite difficult.

I just played a map where every enemy was a flier. Sounds great for archers, right?

There are Dragon Veins you can use to slow them down. Sure it slows down your own fliers as well, but I think it's worth it anyway.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 70