Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98409 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #720 on: March 22, 2016, 12:20:33 pm »

Why use them on someone I stopped leveling? Besides, you only get a few of those and I'd rather save them to fix any weaknesses in my mainline units.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 22, 2016, 12:24:17 pm »

.....OH. Right, Nix... Nix isn't... Birthright...
Black lives matter.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 22, 2016, 01:13:15 pm »

Groans of increasing discomfort.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 22, 2016, 08:07:19 pm »

Groans of increasing discomfort.
People hate on the the localization, but this subtitle pretty much made the entire game for me. :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »

Oh my god, yes. That subtitle needs to become a meme.

I wasn't entirely sure why he was so uncomfortable when I first heard it, but I assumed it was because his pants were feeling a little tight, if you get my drift.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:09:57 pm by Nighthawk »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 22, 2016, 09:13:23 pm »

It's because [Garon is actually being controlled by a higher dragon, Anankos, that you only find out is the big bad in Revelations, which is why Azura's purifying magic spell makes him increasingly discomforted]. But it's a pretty good cover.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 22, 2016, 09:18:49 pm »

I suppose if I could get my magic user to temporarily spend 3 levels as a sniper, I could get them +2 Skill, +hit when initiating, and +damage when initiating abilities... or I could just continue to use the sniper, cause there's even a magical bow with a 1-2 attack radius. IntSys REALLY wanted to avoid a repeat of the 'Wind God Sety' of Fire Emblem past.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 23, 2016, 01:32:41 am »

I found my magic user (Orochi?) to be mediocre, but not useless. Hits hard, but too fragile and slow to be better than Felicia with a flame shuriken. Still, useful enough to have tag along.

Spoiler: Birthright Ending (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:36:48 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 23, 2016, 02:48:56 am »

Hot damn, I've been leeching Oboro to Takumi, who's utilizing a Deathblow Killer Bow combo, and I'll be damned if I said Oboro's on par with Xander now in tankiness, at level 13 Basara (who will be reclassed to Spear Master once i get the skillsets).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:39 am »

I found my magic user (Orochi?) to be mediocre, but not useless. Hits hard, but too fragile and slow to be better than Felicia with a flame shuriken. Still, useful enough to have tag along.

Spoiler: Birthright Ending (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 23, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »

Oh my god, yes. That subtitle needs to become a meme.

I wasn't entirely sure why he was so uncomfortable when I first heard it, but I assumed it was because his pants were feeling a little tight, if you get my drift.
Spoiler: It already is. (click to show/hide)
I might as well link this Serenes Forest thread dedicated to jokes and memes about Fates. A fair bit of cringey and samey stuff but there's a lot of really funny stuff too; a lot of it is, more or less, picking through the KYM image page and only posting the good material.
Spoiler: One of my favorites. (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 26, 2016, 01:32:13 am »

I got a Gold Marble Prize out of the lottery! Finally! ... and it's a Battering Club, the Hoshido Tomahawk equivalent. I'm actually kind of salty about that mediocre prize.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 28, 2016, 04:49:23 pm »

I watched a recent Jimquisition and it reminded me so much of this thread and of Fire Emblem I felt I had to revisit it, because my feelings about this game are something I've been consciously exploring for a little while now, and while I stand by my previous argument 100% still, I want to add that I feel a lot of the features are poorly integrated into the 'core' of the game experience.

Now, my reservations about disliking so many features and purposefully abstaining from them is NOT that I dislike those features, in fact I WANT to enjoy the DLC and the multiplayer and the crystal ball and whatever the hell might be hiding inside the challenges and scouting, I just feel that if I do then I'll be accepting, even if in only some small part, an unfair advantage against the core storyline missions, which is the metric I'm judging the game's difficulty overall with. Plus, and this is just my own biases here, but I just feel guilty, like I'm a cheater, and that just ruins the experience for me. I was made to stop and think though, when I noticed a hypocrisy in my actions, in that I disliked the DLC and Grinding missions for offering the free handouts of EXP, but I LOVED the random gifts from characters and the Lottery, and that's what gave me the idea of some elements of the game simply being more poorly integrated into the core experience than others.

What I mean by that is, the small gifts contribute feel like they belong in the game more than the DLC or Rando-missions do. The random gifts are very unique, and so often feel very sentimental and precious, and inform you a little bit more about the characters since some are named expressly after some. In rando-missions you're just beating up strangers for their sweet exp nectar at the active detriment to the game's core challenge, as even playing on hard classic my first time through each route, the game is honestly still kinda easy and I feel the game gives you ample experience and items just through main story missions without having to engage in any of this side-shenanigans. Some features just feel like the game wasn't designed with them in mind, they were just tacked on.

I want to use Dark Souls 2 as an example, where calling in random people to come help you is without a doubt subtracting from the game's difficulty, which is the draw of the series, but I never felt guilty about using that feature, because it was so tightly and closely integrated with the game and designed around it. Calling in strangers not just helped with the difficulty, it served so many other social functions it honestly felt like a shame to NOT use it. Calling in and offering my own help became my favorite part of that game, even though you'd never guess that if you just looked at my opinions about Fire Emblem.

So in summary, it's not that I didn't want these features (DLC, Grinding, Castle Visitations, Crystal Ball Rewards) in the game to not exist, it's that I wanted them to be even more tightly woven into the game's design, so that using them would actually feel natural rather than as actively cheating myself out of my own fun. Earlier in the thread, I feel I left you guys with an unsatisfying answer when I wouldn't shut up about this topic, so I wanted to return to the topic after I'd explored the idea inside myself some more, and I hope this was more satisfying.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:54:04 pm by JoshuaFH »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 28, 2016, 08:24:54 pm »

If anything, much as IS wants to include casual mode for people (like me) who don't have time to reset every single death due to personal obligations, there should also be an option that toggles 'No EXP' from DLC, and a toggle to prevent Rinkah from gifting me every single time I meet up with them post-mission.

I like loot, but I hate clutter a lot. And trying to farm the requisite VP/BP means you're probably going to get at least 9999+ give or take amount of items, which your convoy won't accept in full.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 30, 2016, 02:35:19 pm »

Just for the curiosity of it, I paired up Arthur to grab his son Percy, who's character is that of the boy wonder from all-American hero type shows of TV's past. Gee whilickers I hated doing his mission though. TONS AND TONS AND TONS of enemies, all rushing you down in a fairly open map without any chokepoints to abuse. There's a mechanic to mitigate them, but damn am I just EXP hungry though, since I'm nearly at the end of the game, so I don't have much more in the way of story enemies to suckle off of to raise my weaker characters. Weirdest thing in the game though: Percy acquired an ability from his mother that she learned DURING that paralogue. Percy for time lord confirmed.

I kinda wanted Arthur's son to be a thinly veiled Communist though, since that would have been a goddamn hilarious foil for his character.

I'm thinking after I beat Revelations, I'm thinking I'm gonna delete it from my 3DS to make room for the inevitable purchase of Bravely Second, as Bravely Default still holds my recommendation for best game on the 3DS. Then after that, maybe I'll return to Fates in order to *attempt* a Lunatic run, but I'm not counting on my success there, that's when the Devs take the gloves off and crank up the bullshit to unprecedented levels. Just speaking from my attempt at Lunatic in Awakening, that's when the game balance is tipped firmly into "Fucking Jesus Please Stop Game this is Unfair!" levels of difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 70