Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98430 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: what
« Reply #840 on: May 06, 2016, 11:02:06 am »

But you only really need one of them :P

Hector is one of the best lords in the entire series.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 06, 2016, 11:37:26 am »

This seems applicable:

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 06, 2016, 02:53:07 pm »

What kind of failure of tactics got them into that situation?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 06, 2016, 02:56:21 pm »

The kind where they want to make an image for a joke and know no better way of doing it?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 06, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »

So the team up mechanic in Fates makes the "can I die in one turn" math a bit confusing.  Its a big step up from Awakening's utterly broken win button, I'll give the devs that.  But it feels like I need to either dedicate a character on a chokepoint to tanking and nothing else, or do Xcom style "kill everyone in one turn or run away" tactics.

Put one of those "underleveled but high potential" characters, a mage, behind 2 other characters in a 2 tile wide hallway.  The only enemies are a mage and a cavalier who doesn't have a javelin.  Mage walks up, hits my weakling, and then the cavalier jumps forward 3 tiles to stab him with a lance and kill him.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 06, 2016, 03:11:43 pm »

Yeah, the best way to survive in Fates is generally to keep all your characters together in one big ol' clump and then use all of their combined attacks to annihilate everything within attacking distance in 1 turn.

If you leave more than 1 enemy still breathing your lower HP/Defense/Resistance characters will likely get prioritized and killed.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 06, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »

So the team up mechanic in Fates makes the "can I die in one turn" math a bit confusing.  Its a big step up from Awakening's utterly broken win button, I'll give the devs that.  But it feels like I need to either dedicate a character on a chokepoint to tanking and nothing else, or do Xcom style "kill everyone in one turn or run away" tactics.

Put one of those "underleveled but high potential" characters, a mage, behind 2 other characters in a 2 tile wide hallway.  The only enemies are a mage and a cavalier who doesn't have a javelin.  Mage walks up, hits my weakling, and then the cavalier jumps forward 3 tiles to stab him with a lance and kill him.

Protip: guard pairs completely nullify duel attacks. Make sure everyone in attack range is in one and you'll be ok.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 06, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »

But they also do it for MY duel attacks right?  I like duel attacks.  When I'm doing them.

...this is what you're supposed to be using your useless characters for isn't it?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 06, 2016, 04:21:57 pm »

But they also do it for MY duel attacks right?  I like duel attacks.  When I'm doing them.

...this is what you're supposed to be using your useless characters for isn't it?

Pretty much.

Guard pairs can still be the supporter in a duel attack, they just can't initiate them.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 06, 2016, 05:08:44 pm »

I actually love Fates' Pairing system so much that I wish IntSys would go back, patch and rerelease all the previous games to include it, and then retroactively consider it canon.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 06, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »

Unless you're on Hector Mode, then you're stuck with a level 20 Hector from probably around Dragon's Gate or so until Cog of Destiny.
Spoiler: Like so (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 13, 2016, 11:12:20 pm »

Finally got around to buying Fates; I'm starting with Conquest. Going with Hard/Casual, but the going has been pretty tough so far (I'm at Chapter 10); can somebody tell me (no spoilers, please) whether it gets a bit easier as the game goes on, as is typical for the series?

I remember Awakening Hard being crazy-difficult for the first several chapters and fairly standard thereafter, and Awakening Normal being pathetically easy near the end—if that hadn't been the case, I'd probably have already switched down to Normal.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 13, 2016, 11:14:30 pm »

conquest doesnt GET easy afaik, friend
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:28 am »

Fates probably has the most 'backdown' difficulty options of any game in recent memory though. If the game's too difficult, you can pursue DLC to train up your characters. If it's still too difficult, you can abuse Castle Visiting to get items that are otherwise off-limits to your route and get free stat boosting items if you visit enough castles. Then if you absolutely need to, you can buy the other routes which open up even more free (read: pay2win) stat boosting items. If that's still too difficult, you can crank down the difficulty, then if it's STILL too hard, you can crank down the death penalties all the way to phoenix, which revives characters almost immediately after they die, basically transforming the game into a bad and expensive visual novel.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 14, 2016, 09:34:44 am »

Finally got around to buying Fates; I'm starting with Conquest. Going with Hard/Casual, but the going has been pretty tough so far (I'm at Chapter 10); can somebody tell me (no spoilers, please) whether it gets a bit easier as the game goes on, as is typical for the series?

I remember Awakening Hard being crazy-difficult for the first several chapters and fairly standard thereafter, and Awakening Normal being pathetically easy near the end—if that hadn't been the case, I'd probably have already switched down to Normal.
Fates' difficulty has paranoid schizophrenia on a level rivalling John Nash. Chapter 10 is generally agreed to be the peak of the difficulty, but most of the game is pretty hard.

Chapter 11 is super-easy in comparison.

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 70