Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 224697 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »

I don't know what it is but I want to be one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2014, 12:52:50 pm »

Actually I lie, what's more I think I actually named the Sensei role.

You are BUDDY1's secret admirer. Each night, you give them a random gift.  You can recruit another player to be your pupil in the martial arts. If your target is protown, they will join you and gain the ability to kill. Else, you will die. Actions: (auto)gift recruit

It's clearly nowhere near as good as Lynchproof Super Vice Cop but I think I'd still pick it for the name.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:09 pm »

Might as well just run a Chaos or an Australian setup from Xylbot at that point.  That would at least make the game more varied rather than pitting a bunch of kill-immune killers against each other.
Yes, but part of the appeal is the chance of getting something horribly broken and insane.  At least it is in my mind. 

Like playing Pokémon with a randomizer.  You want to see just -how- crazy the set-up could be.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2014, 03:07:57 pm »

Heh. Wonder what would happen if I ran my Paranormal script without any weight balancing in it? The available powers wouldn't get too crazy, but the ratios of everything would be really out of whack.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »

Yes, but part of the appeal is the chance of getting something horribly broken and insane.  At least it is in my mind. 

Like playing Pokémon with a randomizer.  You want to see just -how- crazy the set-up could be.
That's what Chaos and Australian are - completely randomly generated setups with no attention paid to alignments, balance or sanity.  I once got Unlynchable Death Arsonist (sk) as a role in it  Your proposal would have less variety because most people would just send in very similar roles, and you'd end up with something like Unlynchable Jackie Chan vs Black Guard Chuck Norris vs Recurring Nightmare Commando.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2014, 05:29:51 pm »

That's what Chaos and Australian are - completely randomly generated setups with no attention paid to alignments, balance or sanity.  I once got Unlynchable Death Arsonist (sk) as a role in it  Your proposal would have less variety because most people would just send in very similar roles, and you'd end up with something like Unlynchable Jackie Chan vs Black Guard Chuck Norris vs Recurring Nightmare Commando.
Ahh, I now I get at what you're saying. 

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »

How about a Poker Chaos game then: you get a random selection of five roles and you can pick as many as you like and redraw up to twice. You get the chaotic element as well as a degree of self selection of powers.

Or maybe, Drafting Mafia: everyone gets three hyper-powered powers and they have to give one to the next player in the order at the end of each night.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »

I think hyper-powerful roles would most likely be less interesting, most players would probably end up immune to everything.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2014, 05:56:59 pm »

A drafting game in general could be quite interesting.

Everyone gets a set of, say, 5 roles at the start of the game. They pick one of those 5 as their role for the next day/night. The other 4 are passed to the next person in line to use the next day and the person before them passes them their unused 4 roles. This continues until the end of the game.

You'd start the game with no information about who was what role, but as the game went on you'd have more and more information about who could have done what.

You wouldn't be able to have any mafia/town specific roles, though, without giving clues as to who the Mafia are. Hmm...unless you just let the Mafia know that they convert X town role into Y mafia role if they select it. That could work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »

Not sure whether this I the right place to post this, but I feel some sort of mix between the two systems we tend to use for extensions is needed. From playing in the most recent BM (which is still going, so I can't talk much about it), I feel that a combination is needed, because sometimes you need an extend and everyone is lurking. Here's my proposes extend system.

1/3 of players who are active (have posted in the last 24 hours, as usual weekends don't count?) needed to extend
In addition, in case of RL issues, a player can PM the GM asking for a 24 extension and giving reasons.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »

I think that sounds pretty reasonable.

I also really like the concept that's been used a couple times where people have their own personal extensions.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »

I like personal extensions and short, snappy days. Keeps everyone on their toes.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2014, 12:11:28 am »

Spoiler: New Idea (click to show/hide)
Up to somebody else to balance the roles and run if they like the idea enough, based on the idea of a Tree Stump. Where everybody will be one at some point.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2014, 12:21:42 am »

Sounds like an interesting concept.

I may suggest reducing the number of levels, to keep the game from dragging on too long, however, although maybe that won't be a problem with the multiple night kills and lynches.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »

That seems ludicrously unwinnable for the town.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62