Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 223821 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2014, 10:36:26 am »

I'm in favour of giving players more agency over the roles they're playing: players already pick very disparate roles in BYORs, encouraging them to suggest how their submission be interpreted would seem to increase enjoyment: and players that want something completely random can just leave it entirely up to you.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2014, 12:31:45 pm »

I like how BYOR roles are already handled.  Limited player control already exists through the descriptions the players give with their submissions (I managed to get a medium through careful description of a Canadian Prime Minister back in BYOR 7, for instance), and that is much easier to balance than a bunch of different "I want to be a deadly investigator!" roles.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:54 pm »

I like how BYOR roles are already handled.  Limited player control already exists through the descriptions the players give with their submissions (I managed to get a medium through careful description of a Canadian Prime Minister back in BYOR 7, for instance), and that is much easier to balance than a bunch of different "I want to be a deadly investigator!" roles.
See, if everyone wanted to be a deadly investigator, they would regret it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2014, 07:52:04 pm »

Poison cops everywhere!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »

Poison cops everywhere!
Psh. More like kill anyone that was Town on investigation.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:39 am »

You are a Harsh But Fair Inquisitor. Every night, you may place live scorpions in someone's bed. If the subject is innocent, they will surely be slain by the vile creatures' venom and therefore exonerated. Should they be servants of darkness, however, they will surely find kinship with the wretched beasts, thereby revealing their true natures to you.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2014, 10:25:35 pm »

You are a Harsh But Fair Inquisitor. Every night, you may place live scorpions in someone's bed. If the subject is innocent, they will surely be slain by the vile creatures' venom and therefore exonerated. Should they be servants of darkness, however, they will surely find kinship with the wretched beasts, thereby revealing their true natures to you.
It's like the most horrible cop variant ever combined with the most horrible vigilante variant ever!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2014, 09:17:51 am »

It's actually not that much worse than a vigilante in most cases.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

The real question is what it does to third parties.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:11 pm »

The real question is what it does to third parties.
The harsh answer would be nothing, thus increasing the likelihood of false positives.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:11 am »

I kindof want to do a mafia game based on the cult so bad it's good movie, The Room. The scumteam would be Lisa and an ally, as they try to eliminate friends (players) of Johnny (the mod) until they win, causing Johnny to kill himself, or fail, causing Johnny to kill himself out of grief.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 18, 2014, 12:40:28 am »

Problem is that flavor claims would instantly out the scum team.

I'm still thinking about Dangan Ronpa mafia. But it will be after NQT does CYOM II.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 18, 2014, 08:39:02 am »

And hopefully after the other two games in the queue as well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »

Problem is that flavor claims would instantly out the scum team.
You can avoid this by giving the scum a safeclaim.  In this case you'd leave one of Johnny's friends out of the game and tell Lisa which one that was.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2014, 11:53:50 pm »

I have a vague kingmaker variant idea.

Instead of having one kingmaker, everyone gets to help decide the king.  Each night, each player sends in one vote for whoever they want to be the king.  Players cannot vote for themselves.  The living player with the most votes is the king for the next day.  If there is a tie for first place, a king will be randomly selected from those tied.

The only information made public about the vote is the winner.  (Giving the relative places of the players without a full votecount may also work)

Game starts with a 48 hour lynchless and kingless Day 0, to give some basis for the Night 0 king decision.

Scum has a team nightkill, to be used Night 1 and on.

Any thoughts?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62