Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317255 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Opposing forces
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »

Who are you still waiting for the update?
Bigf00t, who is arranging something with GWG.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 28, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »

F[Bleep] it. I'm as impatient as anyone else!
Sorry guys!

SCIENCE BRO!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 01, 2014, 08:17:54 am »

Expect a turn today, but don't expect it soon.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 01, 2014, 04:03:59 pm »

Turn 022

Say words while keeping a keen eye on the plants.

You look at the plants. Yeah, all of them are becoming more bloated each time. A particular one is getting to a point where it appears that it will explode. You go backwards and put your hands in front of your face, just in case they explode. Because if they happened to explode the room would be in perfect condition like it is now. Ok, enough sarcasm from the GM's part. You still cower your face in fear when the plant bursts open revealing... absolutely nothing. That's disappointing, really, no kind of necrotizing purple mist? Oh, well, you guess that you will have to do science yourself to find it.

[Pot:2]
A drop of something dark appears in front of you and falls to the floor. Examining it closely yields that it has no special properties, besides staining a really little part of the floor from black. You just guess that it was ink.

[Pot:4]
Nothing happens.

You notice that the plant that released absolutely nothing closed itself again, its leaves forming a small bulb-like shape, which is beginning to slowly grow in size again, much like the others.

Hey, someone else is coming:

Quote from: Rolepgeek
PM

You slowly begin to walk away from that thing. Unfortunately, to head to the NE hallway you have to go dangerously close to it. You decide to risk it and begin walking. The pigs have stopped screaming, and are just barely breathing. The drawings on their surface, now that you can see them clearer, don't look like tentacles. They look more like black veins, branching out from the place where the entity is grabbing each pig. That got you so distracted that you touched the spine scythe with your foot, producing a sound that is only audible now because the pigs have given up on screaming. The entity instantly notices that and turns back at you. His face has the general shape of that of an ordinary man, but lacking any features. Maybe the fact that it seems to be made from darkness itself is why you can't discern any kind of shadow while looking at it. While its barely human shape is what called your attention at first, the second thing that you saw were its eyes. Jade green eyes, or rather glowing eye sockets, which were staring at you. That was what kicked your subconsciousness into activating your self-preservation instincts, making you to run away. You managed to look back, out of fear, to determine whether or not it was following you. Luckily, it was not. The pigs being seemingly dead by now, the entity was reaching the floor to grab something, and the obsidian skull on the wall was beginning to open again.

You arrive to a room full of plants. Weird ones, considering that their leaves were arranged in a kind of bulb, and that said bulb was growing in size.

You backed away a little bit, but then an old man in green robes that was already in this place told you that they apparently didn't contain anything dangerous in those bulbs. With relief, you decided to try magic:

[Pot:2+1=3]
A small glob of ink forms in front of you, then falls to the ground.

[Pot:5+1=6]
A golden line appears and makes a drawing of a huge chair, before disappearing.

[Pot:1+1=2]
A droplet of something appears, but you can't quite discern what it is. You lean closer to the floor to examine what is left from it. May it be, booze?

Another golden line appears and forms a huge desk in front of you. You guess that if you keep getting things like these you will end up being able to set an office here.

Nothing happens this time.

[Pot:4+1=5]
A sizable glob of blood appears in front of you. You step backwards so that it doesn't ruin your clothes. On the other hand, ig you are covered in blood, maybe people will fear you? Either that or try to kill you for being a psychopath.

TREACHERY!

Action Now In Convenient PM Format!

BETRAYAL!

[Derm and Outcast spd:2+1-1=2/2=1] ((This is to determine if the DK would get in time to help with the wrestling or not))
[DK spd:4]

The Dragon Knight felt that someone was in danger, he suspended his negotiations with Bigf01t and went to defend his poor murderous friend who lacked a foot:

[DK dex:1]
[Outcast dex:6-2=4]

This causes The Outcast Wizard to let Derm go in an attempt to not be pushed by the Knight, who, by the way, was quite predictable.

((This is official, you have worse luck than Unholy. Even with the buff to wrestling.))

Derm, not happy with being prevented from falling into whatever is at the bottom of the chasm, tries to push The Outcast Wizard himself:

[Derm dex:2]
[Outcast dex:5+1-1=5]

But the Outcast Wizard is quicker than him and so bends his knees, achieving an overall more stable position, and thus tries to push Derm again!

[Outcast str:6]
[Derm str:6]

Unfortunately for both, none of them are achieving anything, they are just pushing each other without being displaced.

+1 Pot.

Science!

Quote from: Elephant Parade
PM

[Thrakor spd:5+1=6]
[Flimsy spd:2-1-1=0]

Thrakor aims his hand at The Flimsy Wizard and says some words:

[Thrakor pot:2+1=3]
[Thrakor dex:1+1=2]
[Beat your pot dex roll:6+1=7]
[Flimsy dex:6-1-1-1=3]

Unfortunately for him, the amount of magma produced by his spell is, well, disappointing. What is even worse is that that disappointment caused him to briefly forget that magma burns, and thus he pulled his hand away just in time.

[Flimsy dex: 6-1=5]

The Flimsy Wizard, meanwhile, managed to don't fall into the abyss and tried to unleash his squidifying powers on his assailant:

[Flimsy pot:3+2=5]
[Flimsy dex:1-1=0]

But he ends up looking at the bridge, just between him and Thrakor. A sizable part of the bridge begins to glow, and with a sudden flash of light, everybody can see swirling stone tentacles protuberating from that place, which now has a beak on the center of it. The tentacles occasionally hit the bridge, causing some cracks, but mostly showing that they pack quite a punch. The creature appears to be mindless, or at least scared, because no eyes are seen on it.

Maybe squid magic is dangerous?

F[Bleep] it. I'm as impatient as anyone else!
Sorry guys!

SCIENCE BRO!

Okay, he loses it. If he prefers to go and help a crippled individual, it's his problem. You are fine with your precious science anyway.

[Pot:4+1=5]
You, you begin to glow for a moment, but then the glow subsides. You can still feel the magic, seemingly waiting for you to give it an order. You thought about what you want to be, and magic thinks about that as an order. Suddenly, your body is engulfed by a flash of light and you feel...odd.

You are taller, that's for sure, and you are now totally black. You begin examining your body, without really being able to keep a scientific attitude while doing so. The space between your waist and chest has become thinner, either that or your chest has grown. Speaking of your chest, your ribs are now seemingly showing themselves out of it, and they are black too. You look at your hands: they have become sharp claws. You almost scratch your head, but manage to stop before hurting yourself, and then attempt to do with the back of your hand. Your hair feels like little tubes of plastic. You try to flex your joints a little bit. You notice that you are lighter, and thus you can move faster than most.

Black Bio-Metal body:
[Light]
[Yields]
[Soft]
[Naturally sharp]

You also notice that your burns carried to this form too. Hmm, your leg is not as good as it would be if it had been healthy.

[Slightly mauled]

You then say a final spell:

[Pot:3+1=4]
A bunch of chitin chunks appear in front of you.

Hmm, these are useful:

[Dex:1]
But unfortunately you are not used to your hands, so you end up cutting yourselves with them.

The Elf and the Dwarf keep fighting:

[Dwarf str:4+1=5]
[Elf str:1-1=0]

[Dwarf str:5+1=6]

Actually, the Dwarf just kept bashing the elf, who went limp after the first hits against the rock, as his head caved in completely. The Dwarf kept doing it for good measure as a white smoke came out of the elf's chest and got into the Dwarf's chest.

He then stood up, grabbed his hammer, and begun to analize his surroundings.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Icefire2314 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unholy_Pariah. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RathofSTS (click to show/hide)

GM comments

Does someone remember the air squid? Well, it never existed. I wrote about it in one of my documents as a failed dex roll from one of the squidification attempts from the Flimsy Wizard, which was finally not a failed attempt, but forgot to change it back.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 01, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

Didn't I overcharge?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 01, 2014, 04:27:27 pm »

Didn't I overcharge?
No, because Unholy was on top, and thus you couldn't damage him.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2014, 04:29:52 pm »

*blink*

Overcharge increases a stat by one turn. That battle of strength at the end there should have been slightly in my favor. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by what you said.

Let's try this, then.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2014, 04:44:56 pm »

Prophetic.

And I'm really glad I didn't charge into the abyss. And sad that I have terrible luck.
If I rolled a 1 to not throw Outcast into the abyss, would I succeed?

Wonder if I slept with some vengeful deity's daughter or something.
Remove Derm from Outcast, toss the latter into the abyss.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2014, 04:58:38 pm »

You would have jumped alongside him there.

*blink*

Overcharge increases a stat by one turn. That battle of strength at the end there should have been slightly in my favor. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by what you said.

Let's try this, then.
In the dex roll, you had a 2 against a 6. Even with the wrestling buff, you failed, and a counterattack was allowed. As Outcast's action was to throw you into the abyss anyway, he just counterattacked by trying to push you. An overdrive in that situation wouldn't have any effect, as who was in condition to affect the other person was him, not you.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2014, 05:01:10 pm »

Ah, okay.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2014, 05:02:01 pm »

I was (jokingly) asking if I could game my bad luck by failing to fail at actions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2014, 05:05:27 pm »

I was (jokingly) asking if I could game my bad luck by failing to fail at actions.
I caught the joke back there, and if that was possible I would have done that. Because a 1 is always bad for you, even with reverse psychology (because it would become like a 6)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2014, 05:14:37 pm »

Escape to the room behind me!

Hah! You'll never get past my squid!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2014, 05:19:59 pm »

Minor corection without actual effect: Outcast Wizard has a -1 dex penalty in the last dexterity roll because he has already been attacked.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 01, 2014, 05:24:12 pm »

There's also all the alt text all over the place.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 197