Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 318036 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Remember the flammable stuff? GUESS WHAT?
« Reply #1530 on: September 29, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »

I should have gotten a +1 to str, but I failed that check hard enough it won't matter.

Keep trying!  Overdrive a point of dex!
Oops, I think that I rolled a d2 there the same way as with dex. I'm correcting it anyway.

About the overdrive, you will be able to do so in turn 70, as the 3 turns without an overdrive have not passed yet.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: September 29, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

No problem.  I would be doing the same thing with or without the overdrive, so whatever.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: September 29, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »

"Dammit Flimsy! This is why we can't have nice things!"
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: September 29, 2014, 03:59:00 pm »

Retry those words!
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 29, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »

Oops. I forgot that the flammable stuff was still there.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:54 pm »

I was considering running into that room and shooting fire and/or lava at the flammable materials, but that wouldn't have worked anyways...

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 29, 2014, 11:32:39 pm »

"Fire. Fire freaking tiger wasps. WHAT THE HECK GOSHDANG-NAMIT!"

Give the now-mobile and armed Planky a high-five. Ou rah. Slightly less dangerous than Fire Tiger Wasps, but not much. Think of a more fitting name... Manky? As in the Pokemon, not the smell.

"ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL U... Oh yea. Oops. I'll just... go somewhere else." :3

Go walkabout, do some science and get ready for the inevitable
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:23 pm »

Also, darn. I thought "wasp" was a different word. If it was the word I thought it was, that would've been much cooler.

Meh.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 30, 2014, 07:15:36 am »

Turn change

Zolond casted an electricity spell (instead of a fire one) which ended in both him and Systar with Paralysis, although Systar's lasts for 2 turns.

Also, darn. I thought "wasp" was a different word. If it was the word I thought it was, that would've been much cooler.
Well, you made them insectoid, and I felt like making them wasps. If you want an specific insect, better write that in the PM.

Slightly less dangerous than Fire Tiger Wasps, but not much.

There is a sort of idiom where I live that goes along the lines of something like "More dangerous than a knife-wielding monkey" (Alternatively, it can be more dangerous that a monkey with a switchblade, but the differences are not important.). Anyway, there is now the Ak-47 wielding monkey, so feel better! He is not going to murder you so quickly!

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:55 am »

"Well, at least that worked somewhat better than last time I shot lightning at you."

Somewhat smug.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 03, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »

Science is Hard

Requires diligence

And patience...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:00 pm »

Turn 069

I should have gotten a +1 to str, but I failed that check hard enough it won't matter.

Keep trying!

"Well, at least that worked somewhat better than last time I shot lightning at you."

Somewhat smug.

And the fight continues! It looks like this is going to be a matter of attrition here!

[Systar dex:1-1=0]
[Zolond dex:3-1+1=3]

But as Systar strolls in Zolond's direction, he slowly walks backwards, looking for an opportunity to strike. Systar jumps after Zolond's leg, and then he sees the perfect opportunity to make him fall:

Tripping:

[Zolond str:3-1=2]
[Systar dex:3-1=2]

But as soon as the Black Mage tried to pull one of Systar's arms to hopefully make him lose balance, he staggered backwards.

Hmm, not much progress here.

((If you want another counter attack, please tell me. I'm going with tripping most of the time))

Meh.

The scarred Wizard tries to focus his inner energies:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-it hurts-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Badass level: almost there.

"Dammit Flimsy! This is why we can't have nice things!"

Let's try again, and hope no more people go full retard:

[Pot:6+1=7]
You flash back to human form, and realize that your chest hurts, like if the hit against your wind had somehow transitioned into your torso. Your wrists also hurt. But you flash again, the magic not giving a shit about your reflections and transforming you back into a dragon, err, drake!

Now, let's test your breath! You move away from the diamond wall and try to fire it!

[Pot:3 (Fixed)] 7 pot/2 rounded down ((decided to change the criteria, one third was too restrictive))
[Dex:6] +1 protection from natural resistance!

You launch a small ball of the octariney substance, but it travels slower than what you would have expected, part of it dissolving in mid air. It still collides with the wall, leaving a hole the size of a soccer ball there.

You can see a wooden monkey running with a knife towards the northern hallway.

There is a flash of light nearby, and you notice that the arcane axe has gone back to its previous form. Not only that, but the previously arcane edge, having consumed itself before the change, has left the axe without an actual ol' choppy edge.

"What the hell are you bastards doing?"

[Derm spd:2]
[Planky spd:4+1=5]

Derm cursed, knowing that his team mates would be those who had almost blown themselves up. But he had to fix himself, so that had priority over getting angry at them. He leaves his spear against the wall again, and wait, what? What the freaking hell is that wooden monkey doing with that knife the size of its forearm?

[Planky dex:1+1-1=1]
[Derm dex:5+1-1-1=4]

Derm grabbed again his spear and went for the thing he knew he would do best in that situation: poking the animal wildly:

[Derm dex:6+1-1=6]  ((You rolled 3 sixes in a row, two of them for the endurance checks. The RNG is favouring you))
[Planky dex:1+1=2]

[Derm str:6+1+1=8]  ((And another 6 for the endurance check, dammit))

And, while the monkey looks surprised for Derm's reaction time, he proceeds to stab and pierce the wooden creature's chest pretty badly, the spear coming from the other end. The monkey just wiggles uncontrollably, trying to break free. Oddly enough, you hear a voice in your head:

"Aaaaaaaaa, no,no,no, please, don't kill me! I was just trying to survive, aaaaaaaaa"

It is pretty irritating, to say the least.

Planky is pinned! He will suffer a -2 to dexterity rolls, and requires him to beat Derm in an opposed Str roll to break free! Derm can move him around if he rolls enough Str.

Retry those words!

The dice say that you don't want to throw up again, so you do science:

[Pot:2+1=3]
You get the mental idea of a beak and many feathers.

[Pot:2+1=3]
[Will:2-1=1]
A green smoke begins to erupt out of thin air in front of you, as a soul-crushing wail slowly intensifies. As the smoke pours, it seems to take a distorted shape. A face. It stares at you, and you suddenly feel like if you are ceasing to be, like if you were beginning to lose contact with everything, just an initially low but soon intense pain is what remembers you of being alive, but maybe not by much longer. But it soon ends, and you are left staring at the place where the incredibly elongated face used to be. The only thing that remains is that slight sensation of you being somewhat away from here, from your body.

Soul meter:4/6

A big mass of an octariney substance appears in front of you. Heat and light come from it, like if it had been consuming itself slowly. It fluctuates, becoming more concentrated in one point and...oh, fuck.

BOOM!
[Dex:4]

You jump backwards covering your face and crawl up to a ball over the floor, but the explosion still reaches you anyway. You find that you are bleeding in your arm, and then you feel the pain. A portion of your arm is gone, some bone is exposed (and actually partially non-existent) in your forearm. Damn, this is bad.

Right arm: lacks a chunk! Chance of malus will persist even without the bleeding.
[Bleeding II]

You get the feeling that the words in this page are kind of dangerous.

Science is Hard

Requires diligence

And patience...

You wonder what could go wrong in your theories, you only have more questions! Just to be sure, you read again the papers:

Quote from: Page 1
The first three sections of the index are subject to Code P-235
The appendix is subject to Code 75-P32

Maybe that helps?

Well, meanwhile you do science:

[Pot:3]
A golden line appears and draws a curved object, like a a crescent moon.

[Pot:3]
Now two prisms, one shorter and attached perpendicularly to the top of the other, are drawn.

[Pot:1]
You grab a line, you take it this was, you make circle, then take it to the other side, and voilą, you have an undistinguishable mess.

[Pot:6]
A golden line appears and draws a pair of claws,each one capable of holding your whole head in its grasp.

"Fire. Fire freaking tiger wasps. WHAT THE HECK GOSHDANG-NAMIT!"

Give the now-mobile and armed Planky a high-five. Ou rah. Slightly less dangerous than Fire Tiger Wasps, but not much. Think of a more fitting name... Manky? As in the Pokemon, not the smell.

"ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL U... Oh yea. Oops. I'll just... go somewhere else." :3

Go walkabout, do some science and get ready for the inevitable

No matter how much you warn Planky, he just goes away. A pity for him. Anyway, better go away. Where shouldn't be any problems? Oh, you know, the Magma Room! You get there, and see some guy thinking carefully, like, a lot. Well, you have to do stuff:

A thick golden line appears and draws a big spiky demon head, but then you notice that it keeps drawing, now adding a grip to it. The head is bald with plenty of spikes coming from the upper part, some it it in horn form. Its mouth is almost closed, only a thick tongue coming out of it, as yet another spike. In fact, the only part without spikes is the grip, fortunately. With a flash of light, it becomes solid steel, and falls to the ground. Soft moans and wails can be heard, and a green vapour seems to be coming out of it. Upon closer examination, you notice that this also applies to the grip. Better not to touch it with your bare hands.

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

GM comments
Planky rolled a 5 in the d6 for risk taking. Guess where he ended.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Where Derm gets ludicrous amounts of sixes
« Reply #1542 on: October 05, 2014, 05:25:23 pm »

"Huh."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 05, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »

Continue the Science on a page less likely to kill me!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:02:09 pm by Lost in Nowhere »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 05, 2014, 08:07:57 pm »

Try again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 197