Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1765 1766 [1767] 1768 1769 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2415161 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #26490 on: January 14, 2016, 05:45:35 pm »

specific brand of dark humor.

Interesting game mechanics and depth of world settings.

Being better GM than pretty much everyone else.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26491 on: January 14, 2016, 05:46:30 pm »

Waitlist interaction works really well, though obviously you have to be sure someone'll post. I don't like to wait about doing nothing, or forget something then be told I can have it six months later.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26492 on: January 14, 2016, 05:49:06 pm »

Mind control rays.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26493 on: January 14, 2016, 05:52:11 pm »

consistent updates, great gm'ing, well build worlds/themes, since you can make a new character at any point I don't feel too scared to do more dangerous stuff with my character since if it fails I can just jump right back in.

Nunzillor

« Reply #26494 on: January 14, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »

Great setting and tone, and the game is incredibly quickly updated (especially considering its scope).  I like the NPCs, which are interesting and well thought out.  The writing is also quite good in general. 

My only complaint would be the level of detail in each post, which you... touched upon in the latest ER Talk.  However, since the current post sizes are a necessity in order to accommodate the number of players, it doesn't bother me too much.  The game is still compelling and entertaining.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:33:58 pm by Nunzillor »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26495 on: January 14, 2016, 06:12:07 pm »

Worlds that are what they are - nonadaptive difficulty. no penalties for doing well and the danger is real when doing poorly.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26496 on: January 14, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »

specific brand of dark humor.

Interesting game mechanics and depth of world settings.

Being better GM than pretty much everyone else.
+1
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26497 on: January 14, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »

I've only played this one, and only a mission or two. I have enjoyed the challenge and the other players, as well as the freedom to try things different ways. Gm Responsiveness, a complex world, a mix of serious and silly in tone, ... lots of stuff.

minor negative one: sometimes there is a possibly unnecessary level of vagueness to replies, which can carry over from round to round, requiring certain questions to be repeated several times in a mission. Sometimes, of course, this vagueness is appropriate (and often vagueness comes from the players' side), but sometimes it deels like the answer is available to the Gm and there is no significant reason we don't get it, and it can hinder an action or course of action.

minor negative two: from reading a lot of ER, I've seen a tendency to respond individually to everyone who posts a "follow the herd" action, which, added to the tendency to quote entire posts which contain an action, thereby copying all the quotes and RP within, can clutter a post pretty good.

minor observation, neither inherently good or bad: Often, missions seem to start out slow and detailed, and they get to a certain point where the action gets condensed, or people start milling about without any clear objective, and then the mission seems to truncate at the end and resolve much quicker than they get started.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26498 on: January 14, 2016, 06:41:08 pm »

Hmm.  Most notable thing would be your excellent settings.  They're dark (without being soul-crushing like WH40K), deep and complex, and internally consistent/logical.  "Good GMing" is something I'd strongly agree with too, though it's sort of nonquantifiable.

Something I like which is actually a flaw would be your consistently unbalanced systems, which are always interesting AND appeal to my munchkin side.  Also, I really love the sheer volume of players, although that was much more of a draw for Perplexicon, rather than ER, because there were more interactions available.  In ER, since we're all one team, I feel the need to avoid killing other players.

The biggest things I dislike about some of your games would be... weird randomness, I guess.  Poison (and Infinite Heavens, to an extent) share the trait of just a whole bunch of random weird sillyness everywhere.  I liked it in Perplexicon, because it was well structured, understandable, and consistent, but I really hate it everywhere else.

Full agreement with Ozark, too.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #26499 on: January 14, 2016, 06:44:24 pm »

I've enjoyed the game so far. Like others said, the universe is relatively more logical than many and even the illogical bits are consistent with themselves, and when they aren't it's a sign that your character's brain is getting screwed with.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26500 on: January 14, 2016, 07:12:20 pm »

1: Your a damn good GM
2: ER anyways has managed to create a good setting where you can fit anywhere on the alignment spectrum and still habe it make sense that you are part of the team
3: The ER world is incredibly detailed, it has enough details to get immersed (I spent the whole work day today thinking about how the mission I'm on will go)
4: You've consistantly had this RP going for a while, there is little worry about getting absorbed in it only for it to be abandoned
5. I like the difficulty balance. If I play smart, I can reasonably protect my survival, but there is still inherent danger in screwing around with what you aren't ready for, and the occasional danger that we couldn't prepare for (to be fair though half of the un-plannable dangers come from fellow players >.> aka the entire STAN mission (Stan wasn't even the only player created danger, we were already in a mexican stand-off before that event)
6. Inclusiveness, I had tried like 5 or 6 other RTD's and attempted to become more involved with the bay 12 community a few times, but it never really stuck until this one

Cant really think about any negatives... I guess Im sad that the original death/game show thread got ax'd as soon as my character made it in xD
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:46:53 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26501 on: January 14, 2016, 07:24:14 pm »

Your writing is very good and the consistant updates are a big plus.  Your imagination is also very impressive.

As a minus, I'm tired of how easy they seem to be.. whenever something challenging comes around, it disappears.  It's like you're afraid of creating worlds that don't mold to their players, and because of that, there's no such thing as doing well.

In general, I wish I could feel like I was in a world that wasn't of my own devising.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:28:07 pm by Devastator »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26503 on: January 14, 2016, 07:41:05 pm »

Okay I've read a few of your games and I've liked what i saw but i can't judge them well but i believe you've done an amazing job good enough that in my obssesion with joining this game i spent months on writing a backstory for my character and where they came from so you do a great job in gact reading this caused me to become a member of the community and now I'm in tons of games and having fun.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26504 on: January 14, 2016, 07:49:23 pm »

I dunno, for me the only real problem with piecewise's games is that he lets too many schmucks in and the updates grind to a near halt.

being forced to wait two weeks to complete an action in a game that updates daily because you werent quite clear enough is a right kick in the pants.
Its a slight exaggeration, but you see my point.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 1765 1766 [1767] 1768 1769 ... 2205