Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2409056 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #7470 on: July 24, 2014, 03:04:08 am »

In the chest.
Remember kids: flesh is beautiful.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: July 24, 2014, 03:10:46 am »

In the chest.
Remember kids: flesh is beautiful.
None know that more than I.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:24 am »

So... what's stopping people from instead of using a hyper sharp sword with no advantage and just making the Tesla Saber sharp without the special metal that's probably causing the issue?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:41 am »

I have a sword. Never used it though.
That reminds me, I should whack someone with my cutlass if I get the chance. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: July 24, 2014, 03:32:01 am »

So... what's stopping people from instead of using a hyper sharp sword with no advantage and just making the Tesla Saber sharp without the special metal that's probably causing the issue?

The Tesla Saber has no blade. Just lightning enclosed in... a force field, if I remember it right? A blade put in there just melts from the heat given off from the current running through it.

Most of all I guess the problem is that there's no point to putting a blade in there, and then the problem that it's slightly difficult functional design-wise to put a blade in there.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:52 am »

So why is it called a Tesla Saber when it's just a giant cutting torch in a hilt?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: July 24, 2014, 03:41:46 am »

So why is it called a Tesla Saber when it's just a giant cutting torch in a hilt?
Because it's shaped and swung like a sword. The same reason the Lightsaber is called a saber, and not a "limited-range cutting laser in a hilt".

Plus, y'know, less of a mouthful.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:43:19 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:01 am »

The armoury description for the sabers sheds a little light on the situation. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:49 am »

(( Congrats on that feat. It's quite a trek, though definitely an amusing one :P
Feel free to at this point make a character. PW is always happy to entertain new meat.

Also not entirely sure what you mean by hiding game mechanic info and people not using it? At least for this game, he's very transparent with the mechanics. He's stopped showing the rolls, but I really wouldn't say he's obscured or revealed any mechanics. The system is a basic RTD, we all know how it works.
If you'd like to elaborate, I recommend we take this over to the OOC thread :P ))

It took about 3 weeks of intensive reading.

Aww cute, another one!

You have to remember though, that there are several reasons why we wouldn't use that kinds info. For example, keeping OOC and IC knowledge separate to prevent meta.

But hey, tell me, what kinds of 'gamemechanic information' we have missed, with examples and links to the relevant posts if possible.

I wouldn't even call it meta. Here is the most obvious ones where it would have made difference. Maybe. And few less obvious ones: first, second and third. Although here it almost looks like pyro has right idea about it.

But I'm pretty sure piecewice would make a roll for attempting it.  :)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: July 24, 2014, 05:46:26 am »

(( Congrats on that feat. It's quite a trek, though definitely an amusing one :P
Feel free to at this point make a character. PW is always happy to entertain new meat.

Also not entirely sure what you mean by hiding game mechanic info and people not using it? At least for this game, he's very transparent with the mechanics. He's stopped showing the rolls, but I really wouldn't say he's obscured or revealed any mechanics. The system is a basic RTD, we all know how it works.
If you'd like to elaborate, I recommend we take this over to the OOC thread :P ))

It took about 3 weeks of intensive reading.

Aww cute, another one!

You have to remember though, that there are several reasons why we wouldn't use that kinds info. For example, keeping OOC and IC knowledge separate to prevent meta.

But hey, tell me, what kinds of 'gamemechanic information' we have missed, with examples and links to the relevant posts if possible.

I wouldn't even call it meta. Here is the most obvious ones where it would have made difference. Maybe. And few less obvious ones: first, second and third. Although here it almost looks like pyro has right idea about it.

But I'm pretty sure piecewice would make a roll for attempting it.  :)
If you're talking about weaponizing manipulator overloads, then you haven't been reading all that thoroughly. It's been attempted several times, with the general consensus being "not reliable enough to use". The parameters of the manipulator's input are reliant on a lot of variables, and a manipulator can't really be preprogrammed.

The only way to achieve a reliable output is to use an automanipulator, and those require development. And it's uncertain that it'll be possible to reliably and predictably overload one on purpose.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: July 24, 2014, 06:14:24 am »

To me it looks like you don't actually have to hit "EXECUTE?". Like the manipulator is asking "are you sure?", last change to back off if you feel like you fucked up.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7481 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:27 am »

@Sean: He might be talking about not doing the calculations the manipulator requires yourself, which I think is also not possible, because the manipulator requires you to calculate it and type it yourself. Probably for the same reason amps convert part of your brain into a calculator temporarily. Ah, nevermind.

And Flint did have a rather close and extremely dangerous encounter with a space wizard that ended very traumatically for him, so he has reason to avoid them. And I'm afraid of space wizards myself, so that might be my fear showing.

((Hey, I'm afraid from space wizards myself, so I can totally see why you'd want to avoid him. I agree that, taking into account all the relevant OOC info, this might not be the most optimal course of action. But it's what I think Miya would do based on what he knows right now. And yes, I admit Miya has not given certain info yet that would be important for Flint, but I also kinda chalk that up to not having had the time yet. Because Miya isn't sure that his conjectures and guesses from his quick skimming the video are fully correct, and he would want to avoid giving out false or contradicting intell.))

We have a slight problem now though. Mainly, that people might not get to alter their actions in time. So, should we just keep going with Flint's original plan, or hope people can adjust their actions on time?))
There isn't really a need to alter their actions. Pancaek already has the right action for any situation. The only one who would have his action invalidated is Alarith, but that just means he will stand around in the diner, doing nothing. And anyone else helping me probably won't be necessary, although they are welcome to try. As long as they don't end up shooting me.

And the reason Flint is doing that is because he listens to his feelings first and his logic second. If you haven't noticed, because Flint's background says "he's an actor", I've been assuming that he gives greater weight to his feelings. Don't know if it's right or not, but I believe many actors force themselves to believe they are in a situation and feel like they are in a situation and express those feelings as much as they can, so that they can act natural and stay in character. So it would make sense for him to act based on his feelings and on his instincts first in a high pressure situation. Add to that that he is highly idealistic and you get his full behavior, a man that puts his feelings and ideas above logic.
For example, look at the following actions: When he speech rolled the crew of that bridge instead of shooting it. When he decided it was better to risk loosing a highly valuable sample, something he had lost his legs to retrieve, if it meant giving him a chance of helping him help his friends survive. When he was so afraid of being alone and dying that he launched a ship with limited fuel. When he tried to convince an UE to surrender. All those actions and more were in situations where he put feelings and ideals over logic.

And right now he feels like crap because he feels like he betrayed a friend and feels like he has to make up for it. So it's the only course of action he can take.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: July 24, 2014, 09:12:27 am »

To me it looks like you don't actually have to hit "EXECUTE?". Like the manipulator is asking "are you sure?", last change to back off if you feel like you fucked up.

We aren't asked whether we want to hit execute, because it's in the turns themselves.  And putting a clause in your action like "If I roll less than  two, or over six, don't hit execute" wouldn't work because it would be meta.  And if you said "Don't hit execute if I mess up some equations" just means that instead of the flavor text being "You type in something completely stupid like 'Heat sand plz and thank U'", it would be "You enter your equations, and the manip starts beeping and buzzing'

As far as not doing stupid things like heat a millon cubic meters, well, the first time we didn't know that would happen (and people still were telling Pyro it was a bad idea), the second time it was a typo, which was pointed out, and just not fixed in time.  And there have been several cases where someone typed in outrageoua parameters, and editted it out when somone said that was too big.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7483 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:13 am »

And large parameters don't always mean disaster. They just have a higher difficulty rating (meaning you have to roll higher) and require more mind points (if you run out of mind points actions become even more difficult). For example there was one guy who froze an enormous area because he rolled well. But even then he got a nose bleed because he almost run out of mind points.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: July 24, 2014, 09:44:51 am »

We aren't asked whether we want to hit execute, because it's in the turns themselves.  And putting a clause in your action like "If I roll less than  two, or over six, don't hit execute" wouldn't work because it would be meta.  And if you said "Don't hit execute if I mess up some equations" just means that instead of the flavor text being "You type in something completely stupid like 'Heat sand plz and thank U'", it would be "You enter your equations, and the manip starts beeping and buzzing'

As far as not doing stupid things like heat a millon cubic meters, well, the first time we didn't know that would happen (and people still were telling Pyro it was a bad idea), the second time it was a typo, which was pointed out, and just not fixed in time.  And there have been several cases where someone typed in outrageoua parameters, and editted it out when somone said that was too big.

I would put action like "If I can't keep up with math, stop the math." Most likely this would require will or int roll to work in first place (possibly leading even greater problems such as "[int:2] Nope, not gonna work. Clearly the best course of action is to destroy the manipulator!"), but my point is that in many cases wording implies possibility.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:47:17 am by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 2205