Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216067 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #465 on: May 23, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »

Otherwise you'd see a rather radical change in the personality of the subject placed in the body. You can turn them off manually though, if you want. Though doing so may have unforeseen effects.

Can they be otherwise tampered with?  For example, extra adrenaline, trigger a rush of dopamine, oxytocin to feel pleasure, etc.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 23, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »

Eh, no problem, that's fine. It was a cool idea anyways :P. Plus, if I ever get a cannon, I can just adapt the Mjolnir shell to it.

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »

I've got a very simple idea that I would like feedback on, for those of you reading.

Essentially, I want to create or manufacture a version of the M320 low-velocity grenade launcher that we have today (link) in ER. Materials and whatnot might be different because future science, but the design and basic functionality should be basically the same. The technology involved is relatively simple (doubly so by ER standards), and existing weapons should be able to be modified to mount this weapon (or any other number of rail-style attachments) without much labor or cost involved.

The way I see it, this development could give Con weapon users a lightweight and cheap to manufacture/purchase option that could easily be used to supplement a different primary weapon. As a bonus, different munition types ([link removed by request]) allow this launcher to have some degree of flexibility, if you have a reasonable idea of what sort of situation you are getting yourself into. As an example, for the Mission B that I am currently on, the buckshot style canister allows the weapon to remain viable in an indoor urban scenario against lightly armored targets. The (hopefully) low price point make the weapon readily accessible to newer players, and could give them that little bit of extra "oomph" they want/need to stay relevant. It's obviously not going to be very effective against any sort of heavily armored target, but it's not designed to.

I feel that this is a niche that could stand to be filled, but I'd like the feedback of those who have more experience than I before I put too much more thought into it. So, what do you think? Questions, thoughts, concerns?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:52:31 am by Toady One »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 23, 2014, 03:11:13 pm »

Well, PyroDesu's char has already created a very good stand-alone grenade launcher, but if you want to create a weapon attachment that shoots a grenade, that's not actually a bad idea.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 23, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »

Bring Halberd Mech design back up.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 23, 2014, 04:08:44 pm »

@hapah: interesting idea, you might want to coordinate with Hephaustus people since they'll be desiging new basic weapons.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2014, 04:30:32 pm »

@hapah: interesting idea, you might want to coordinate with Hephaustus people since they'll be desiging new basic weapons.
Oh sure, I probably will once the missions are over. At the moment I'm more interested in the feedback from the players if this is something that they think would be useful to have. Would it have been good in any past missions? I'm trying to avoid putting a lot of thought into answering a question that nobody's asking, you know? Does the idea have value?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 23, 2014, 04:37:26 pm »

Oh sure, I probably will once the missions are over. At the moment I'm more interested in the feedback from the players if this is something that they think would be useful to have. Would it have been good in any past missions? I'm trying to avoid putting a lot of thought into answering a question that nobody's asking, you know? Does the idea have value?
MLRS style launchers that can be attached to my Halberd mech design.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 24, 2014, 07:03:29 am »

replace the monofilament with a vibranium wire of equal size shaped like a gladius blade.
Vibrate the entire blade section instead of the wire itself.

Seems to me that a material that near instantly snaps back into its original shape would be perfect for a shaped monorazor.
Should be cheap too because youd only need like an Australian 5 cent piece worth of metamaterials.

new seperate project

Spawn a thin fibre obtic cable with a temperature threshold of 4000° Celsius or more.
Spawn a temperature resistant cable holder to hold the wire in a rounded rectangle shape where it feeds back into itself to form an infiniteloop but maintains a distinct laser seeding segment.
Spawn a laser rifle emmitter with no focusing lenses to serve as the hilt and feed its "beam" into the fibre optics seeding segment.
Place a thermostat in the crosspiece and connect it to the laser emmitter to regulate energy flowand coat the top of the crosspiece in that laser absorbing crystal to prevent heat reaching the hilt.
Run a power cable from the laser emmitter designed to connect easily to suit reactors.

Basic idea is that the light from the laser emmitter collects inside the fibre optics and heats it to 3500 degrees and is held at that temperature by the thermostat, then when you hit stuff with the cable it melts right through the target, or your leg if you screw up horribly.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #474 on: May 24, 2014, 08:45:02 am »

What's vibranium anyway? Searching the board reveals nothing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 24, 2014, 08:52:03 am »

What's vibranium anyway? Searching the board reveals nothing.
What Captain America's shield is made out of? I think he's referring to metamaterials of some sort, though. I'm not sure.

Piecewise, if I were to attach a sword point to a monoatomic razor, would the filament go to work on the stab just because of proximity, or would I have to move it once it's in the wound? Also, would makng a three-sided monoatomic blade allow me to 'stab' with the front filament?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 24, 2014, 10:03:25 am »

@U_P: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering_iron

This might be easier way to get that.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #477 on: May 24, 2014, 10:30:12 am »

Eh, I'm kinda out of tokens right now, but just to keep it in mind in case I do get some tokens, what kind of battery system could I get with 5 tokens? What kind of effect would it have? Use the data gathered during the defence of Hephaestus to extrapolate how much more  powerful it could make the cannon.

Also, would it be possible to bend a monoatomic razor's wire with centrifugal force or would the wire not be taut enough to vibrate and cut stuff?
I was thinking of having something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where the red is the monowire and the blue is the thing that makes it spin.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 24, 2014, 10:36:41 am »

Soldering iron =/= laser sword
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 24, 2014, 12:39:00 pm »

Soldering iron =/= laser sword

Indeed, but the principle behind a soldering iron might mean you can get a stretch of 'wire/cable' incredibly hot in an easier way. That's what you're trying to get, right? A stretch of very hot material to slice through things? Or is the usage of lasers absolutely critical to you?  :P

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 127