Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216021 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #510 on: May 29, 2014, 04:48:31 pm »

I cannot watch videos ever due to miniscule data limit.
It's a red-hot sphere of nickel slowly melting through a stack of CDs. It has to be reheated partway through.
Whats the difference between the temp of the nickel and the melting point of the cd though, oh and my sword is self heating so that isnt an issue.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2014, 04:59:53 pm »

It didn't say, but going by the color it's probably somewhere in the region of 900 degrees Celsius (~1200 K). CDs melt around 600 degrees Celsius (~900 K). That's a solid 33% temperature differential, while your 3500 C (?) to 3000 C would be less than half of that.

My point was more that it took a long time to burn through just a few inches of CDs. Even longer, since the heat differential between the heat source and the melting thing is smaller.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2014, 05:13:02 pm »

It didn't say, but going by the color it's probably somewhere in the region of 900 degrees Celsius (~1200 K). CDs melt around 600 degrees Celsius (~900 K). That's a solid 33% temperature differential, while your 3500 C (?) to 3000 C would be less than half of that.

My point was more that it took a long time to burn through just a few inches of CDs. Even longer, since the heat differential between the heat source and the melting thing is smaller.

And let's not forget that most plastics melt really rather easily (from a point source, at least). Metal will melt a lot slower, even with the temperature differential being lower. See the example where he tries to melt into lead, which melts at 600K, and barely even marks the metal. Something like battlesuit plate would be even slower - it's designed to resist laser fire, and that means being able to take a massive temperature differential - even with the beam dispersed somewhat, you're still pumping the same amount of energy into the system.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:21:04 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 29, 2014, 05:30:28 pm »

Its not like i cant just charge the thing for longer, i wanted it to be able to reach at least 3500 degrees.

Theres the issue that those molten globules may have started at a high temp but they didnt maintain it, they would rather quickly cool because they are pumping all their heat into the air and each cd would be serving as a radiator, my tube however replaces that lost heat maintaining its temperature and battleplate is not really shaped to radiate heat.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 29, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »

You're missing several points.

First off, we're not saying it won't work, we're saying it won't work well.
Second off, take what Pyro said. High temperature difference between lead's melting point and the RHSN, and it's still slow. Slower than the much lower difference between the RHSN and the CDs, in fact. As Pyro noted, the battlesuit plate--designed to resist, among other things, lasers, which are all about transferring heat--would be even slower to melt.
Third off, the difference between the melting point of battlesuit plate and the heat of your sword is smaller still than the examples provided.
Fourth off, you're arguing with not only science but the GM. And two players who wound up on Hephaestus for a reason.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »

There was a robot from mission 7 that fought with a extremely hot club. It cut though metal like butter.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »

Firstly, im not expecting to actually use it against a battlesuit, i merely want the option. Its gonna be fine against the fleshy twats im generally gonna thwack with it.
Secondly, pyros example uses something with an initial temp not a constant temp, for all you know my tube might produce more heat than striking something takes away. Also battlesuits are designed to disperse lasers using refractive fibers which have no effect on pure heat.
Thirdly, minimum difference which i fully expect to be able to increase through overcharging.
Fourthly, You wound up on haphaestus because you wanted to be there and get free tinker prototypes, not because anyone said "hey go to haphestus because you know science".

And im not arguing with the GM about the light tube, he says itll work albiet slowly against some targets and i accept that.
Im aguing with him over my vibranium oscillation sword which i believe he is misinterpereting.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2014, 07:39:20 pm »

There was a robot from mission 7 that fought with a extremely hot club. It cut though metal like butter.
One, we don't know how hot it was. Two...wait, what effects did that have on the surroundings? It should have scorched any nearby exposed flesh basically instantly.

Firstly, im not expecting to actually use it against a battlesuit, i merely want the option. Its gonna be fine against the fleshy twats im generally gonna thwack with it.
Secondly, pyros example uses something with an initial temp not a constant temp, for all you know my tube might produce more heat than striking something takes away. Also battlesuits are designed to disperse lasers using refractive fibers which have no effect on pure heat.
Thirdly, minimum difference which i fully expect to be able to increase through overcharging.
Fourthly, You wound up on haphaestus because you wanted to be there and get free tinker prototypes, not because anyone said "hey go to haphestus because you know science".

And im not arguing with the GM about the light tube, he says itll work albiet slowly against some targets and i accept that.
Im aguing with him over my vibranium oscillation sword which i believe he is misinterpereting.
1. It's going to be extreme overkill, actually. And not very efficient overkill, either. Flesh tends to burn slowly rather than melt slowly.
2a. No, it doesn't affect it that much. Especially since no, it wouldn't, otherwise your tube would keep heating up.
2b. That doesn't actually affect things that much. The fibers are still heat-resistant, even if the heat is distributed over a slightly larger area.
3. If you're intending to make it reach higher temperatures, you should design it for that, instead of saying you want it to go to 3500 degrees Celsius and then hoping it can safely go higher.
4. Regardless, I do know science. So does Pyro. That's why we're going to be good at tinkering, and why we're able to explain this to you.
5. So, basically you agree with us.
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »

1. Overkill is best kill. Water boils at 100°C, tube is 3500+°C. Somehow i think if i hit someone with it the blood in their veins will instantly vaporise and cause their arm to explode in a cloud of steam.
2a. I have no idea what point you trying to make, especially seeing as you put my point of my light tube continually heating up on the end.
2b. The fibers are reflective, they are there to spread the heat over a large area and slow the rate at which the battleplate heats up, if they have no light to reflect or refract then they cannot spread the heat in any meaningful manner and my death tube retains its efficacy.
3. If i wanna set it low to begin with thats my decision, also fuck safety, if im forced into a melee fight with a battlesuit im probably screwed anyway.
4. You dont need comprehensive knowledge of science to be good at tinker.
5. I agree with piecewise that currently its not as effective as it could be, nothing more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2014, 08:31:24 pm »

1. No...no it really isn't. It's not only messy and PR-destroying, it's horribly inefficient. And don't get me started on collateral damage...
2a. I'm making the point that your tube would be losing heat. Not as fast as something that isn't being heated, but it would.
2b. Except that the fibers are still obviously heat-resistant.
3. Your design states that it's supposed to go to 3500. That's kinda my point.
4. Um, yes you do. piecewise requires that your designs work by science.
5. ...That's not what you said a moment ago. Or if it is, you're phrasing it in a way that's trying to make it sound like you're disagreeing with me without being wrong.
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 29, 2014, 09:09:34 pm »

1. Messy kill is best kill, any PR is good PR, collateral damage is best damage.
2a. And im making the point that my tube is hotter inside than it is outside therefore the heat inside trying to get outside makes the outside get hotter faster than the stuff its in contact with can cool it.
2b. Heat resistant because it spreads the light and makes it take more energy to melt, sticking it with a undispersable source takes fsr less energy.
3. That its baseline, not its intended maximum.
4. Work by science yes, have anything more than a basic understanding no. Inventiveness > hard knowledge.
5. I dont agree with you because you are arguing shit at face value, i believe i told you not to do that a while back.
6. Im tired of pointlessly arguing and im getting funny looks for playing on my phone instead of rendering this house.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:00 pm »

1. I'm...not going to touch this.
2a. Then the inside of the tube would heat the outside of the tube before the blow, which negates your point.
2b. No, the filaments need to be heat-resistant to avoid melting while they're distributing heat away.
3. You didn't say that.
4. You can't use that inventiveness if you don't science.
5. Ad hominem. How mature.
6. ...What?
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 29, 2014, 10:17:19 pm »

2a. No im pretty sure it proves my point. droplet cools, tube does the opposite.
2b. The filaments reflect light, and thus the lasers heat, away from itself and lessens the amount of energy it has to tolerate.
3. i didnt say a lot of things, because it needs testing before i can tune it and piecewise hasnt run any testing actions yet.
4. I dont need a doctoral certificate in construction or engineering or material sciences to know that diamonds are hard or that silk is strong and slightly elastic or that injecting acid into an enemy troopers brain is bad for their health.
5. Fine let me put it a different way.
I agree with piecewise that heat isnt good at cutting stuff on its own as evidenced by a video i cant watch.
I disagree with you saying that my self heating death tube being forced into a target with all the force an exosuit can muster  will be ineffective because a small easily cooled droplet of metal pressured ony by its own weight and floating upon a layer of molten plastic couldnt eat through a stack of cd's. Not the same thing.
6. Im doing voluntary work building houses for poor people, volunteer dicking around on his phon instead of working gives strange impressions.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25:11 pm »

2a. You're missing my point. If your sword inside was hot enough to quickly reheat the sword outside, it would already have heated up the sword outside, which would mean it can't heat up the outside quickly once it cools down. All it could do is reheat it slowly.
2b. No, it still has to deal with heat. Unless battlesuits project an anti-laser forcefield, the heat has to be dealt with (at least briefly) before being spread over the surface.
4. So? Knowledge of science is good if you want to make the really cool stuff...or if you want your cool stuff to not suffer from critical flaws upon the application of physics.
5. It's really the same issue, unless your lightsaber is somehow thick enough to cut through the battlesuit without the heat, in which case why are you bothering? And don't talk about how inapplicable a video must be if you haven't seen it, you made yourself look like an idiot.
6. ...Why aren't you waiting until you get home?
Sig

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 29, 2014, 10:34:17 pm »

Really hot stick. Hit a battlesuit in the leg with it. Battlesuit can't move now.
Hit human with it. Human dead now.

Why is there so much arguing?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 127