Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216165 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1365 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »

In any case we'll abstract the contents and yeah 1 for 3 uses sounds fine.
Write-up. Whadda ya think?

1 | boobytrap kit
Ammo: 3 uses per kit
Description: Do you like explosions? Do you like inflicting said explosions on unsuspecting passerby's? Then this is just the thing for you! A kit containing various bits and bobs for creating a mine or booby trap out of any explosive or grenade you happen to have handy. Has several possible sensors to fine-tune your flavor of sneaky murder (see kit's own page for more info). One kit grants you three uses. Note that it's contents could also be used in other ways, such as using the cameras as spycams.

((Nik, anything Maurice would object to/comment on?))

Hmm. I dunno if detecting lesho rounds coming will help you much but ok. I still dunno how much actual ingame use it will get because of the way things work out, but fine to make it. Not sure on the price though.

Well, that and things like it. It prevents a lot of surprises basically. What do you mean with 'dunno how much actual ingame use it will get because of the way things work out' exactly? Due to often having more cramped environments as opposed to open ones?

Can you maybe think of other uses of this kinda thing that would make sense to have according to you? Any other sensors we could add to the package? It's basically just a sensor package to complement cameyes and the sensors built into suits.

Xray can already see through clothing and walls. Though it sees more of a skeleton then a naked person and it only works on not very dense walls.
There you go paris.

Remember how I was looking into "wierdsense" before? basically wanting the ability to know space magic is happening?
How did the AoP's automanips detect the attack aimed at it in order to trigger? How do defensive anti-manips in general detect space magic in time to counter it? How did the Hebi detect amp/manip use? can any of the above be adapted into a space-magic detector?

Am not looking for the actual automanip, don't need the expensive automated space-magic box with limited charges. Just want the detection system it uses to know to activate in the first place.

Didn't the automanips detect the attempted change and counteract that (eg temp change inside active range), instead of the direct spess magic?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:41:18 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:22 pm »

Was mass-manip instead of microwave, which really matters here. The AoP had a kinamp club that I think would create false positives if that was the trigger. I'm pretty sure Kinamps are a different breed of Spess majicks so if it was the Spess Majick that was detected it wouldn't cause problems, but it's still anomalous and directly related to the type of attack Lyra rolled a 5 on with +3 Exo that was 100% countered via automanip, and I'd think that kinamp club would have burned out the automanip if it detected that way.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 03, 2015, 02:59:09 pm »

Unless the detection area is limited/well defined to the AoP body only, meaning the amp club falls outside its detection range, and thus usage is unhampered?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 03, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »

It wasn't. The spherical area around the AoP was protected, as shown in the actual turn.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 03, 2015, 03:13:29 pm »

It wasn't. The spherical area around the AoP was protected, as shown in the actual turn.

You move quickly off to the side as the thing seems to focus on lars, and attempt to tear it apart with a single, very powerful mental attack.
You feel the attack begin, feel the invisible force lash out of you and close in on the arbiter like a great bear trap of crushing, tearing teeth. But as the teeth bite down, they hit something. It feels like biting down as hard as you can on a rock with the teeth of your mind. You stagger and the air around the Arbiter glimmers momentarily.
Gen.Knowledge [5]

"Automanips!" you hiss over the radio, "It's got protective automanips!"
(Emphasis mine.)

I interpreted this as the area directly outside/on top of the main AoP body being protected, not a larger spherical area. Unless you were referring to something else?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 03, 2015, 03:17:42 pm »

We're refering to the same, however I have severe doubts that an area-targeting effect was preprogramed to be formfitting on a unit that is supremely fast and flexible. especially since the air around it had a visible glimmer. same rule as using amp/manips applies, you can't target a person, only the location the person occupies, special exemption for mindfuckery space magic.

notice that on the turn before, the AoP is twirling the club. the twirling would overlap with the protected area. even if not, inside the case, the club would overlap with the protected area, and those kinamps are an always-on effect. the problem is a sphere centered on your center of mass is going to overlap with the end of a held item a signifigant portion of the time. the Kinamp Mace is standard-issue. so are the automanips. they wouldn't have a negative interaction like this simply because poor design choices.

so clearly the automanip can differentiate between the Kinamps and Mass-Manip Amp effects. which probably means it can detect space magic.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:22:11 pm by Lenglon »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: September 03, 2015, 03:24:50 pm »

Couldn't you be targeting the AoP's general area, and biting just fine until you encounter the resistant area itself? Hence 'as the teeth bite down', aka they bite but then encounter problems.

Also, 'air around it' can be the air directly outside it, no? As in, the air layer on top of the robot itself? 'Area around it' is too vague to be sure admittedly, but that's what I thought.

and those kinamps are an always-on effect.

I do think kinamps can be turned off.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:26:48 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1372 on: September 03, 2015, 04:57:04 pm »

There is a solution that satisfies both of your presumptions and what we know about automanipulators:
When activated, automanipulators inside the AoP's torso project a sphere around it that negates kinetic/vector/gravity effects. A sphere is projected because automanipulators can't be programmed (from what we know, although the kinetic amp can be programmed by its input ("kinetic energy") so either that does not apply to all automanipulators or the kinetic amp is not an automanipulator).
However, the sensors for triggering that sphere are located either inside or close to the surface of the AoP's body and only trigger when their programming tells them to (which explains why they didn't trigger for minor things).

There is also another option: Due to his superspeed, an Arbiter could manually trigger his automanipulators, using his own judgement and data provided from sensors across his body for when it is best to do so.

It is best to ask Steve or the Doc if you want a concrete answer, since they both seem to know about them.

EDIT: There is also the less likely assumption that it has multiple automanipulators, one of each kind for each bodypart, but that sounds like too much of an overkill. Not to mention that they would probably not fit in its body, unless they had very limited charge/small batteries.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:00:46 pm by Parisbre56 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 03, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »

This is tinker thread. I intend to at least try to see if I can get a space-magic-detection system going.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 03, 2015, 05:28:45 pm »

The multitool Simus got for christmas a couple years ago. It was described like this:
It's a complex set of actuators, mechanical parts, metal pieces and sensors. It will transform into a tool that can be used to manipulate any basic mechanical device.
Would it be possible to add this or something similar to the armoury, and how much would it cost? Maybe we have to study it on Heph first.
We can do it, but keep in mind it's a mechanical thing; works great on something like an engine, but don't expect to solder anything with it or check voltages or something.
Cool. How much would it cost?
How big/heavy would it be?

How about a basic handiwork tool box? Containing stuff like a welder, a few powered tools, a lot of non-powered tools and some supplies.[/b]
If you can think up a good list of tools to put in it, sure.
I was hoping that it would work like a medkit or Miya's bomb kit, with vaguely defined contents. But if you need a list I can do that.

How much would a kit like this cost?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:54:17 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1375 on: September 03, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »

Could I make/buy a revolver-like magazine for gauss weapons?
I'm thinking that, since one of the biggest selling point of gauss weapons is multiple ammo types, a revolver magazine could allow you to load multiple types of ammo in a single magazine and then switch to the ammo type you want to use.

I assume that the braincase mobility legs can be used to climb on walls and such?
Could I make a different version of the brain-case mobility system that trades the legs (and the laser if necessary) for thrusters?
In case you really need to fly away really fast, in situations where just running just isn't fast enough. With the possible drawback that A) you have limited fuel and B) you have fuel stored right next to your brain. Granted, it's armoured, but it's still fuel.

Does the thing synthflesh comes from have reproductive organs?
originally? Because right now it comes from a chemical tank.
Yeah, originally, why not? I didn't really expect a serious answer to be honest.

Xray can already see through clothing and walls. Though it sees more of a skeleton then a naked person and it only works on not very dense walls.
There you go paris.
Not really what I wanted. Guess I'll have to ask myself, now that I'm back on ship.
Can X-ray mode see through unshielded containers and things like that?

How programmable are camEyes?
Could I potentially write/buy some sort of "focus" program for them? For example, something that uses the input from both eyes to determine distance and allows you to focus on something at a certain distance, so that everything between it and you will disappear and you can get a clearer (and possibly lower quality) image of said object.
Or change the colour coding so that things with different density appear in different colours?
Or make it so that motion tracking only shows motion that fits certain parameters?

This is tinker thread. I intend to at least try to see if I can get a space-magic-detection system going.
Yeah, sure, I'm not saying no. It's a useful thing to have. You should do it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:03:08 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »

Not really what I wanted. Guess I'll have to ask myself, now that I'm back on ship.
Hey, I just copy-pasted what you told me! Probably best to ask yourself in any case.

Go for it, just trying to rationalize what might've been happening there. As usual though, 'insufficient data for meaningful answer'.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 03, 2015, 06:48:15 pm »

As usual though, 'insufficient data for meaningful answer'.
Also known as "It's Space Magick, I Ain't Gonna Explain Shit"  :P (No, I actually find Lenglon's drive to find out the basis behind the automanip conundrum very commendable; I often feel the same interest in small details, and I believe it can produce very useful and... ah, I'd say 'expl...', but Council is always lurking nearby, right? So let's settle at 'very useful and interesting solutions'.)

Yeah, no big problems or suggestions with the booby-trapping kit. You'll wait for the official approval before inducing it to the Armory this time, will you?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 03, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »

If you'll remind me to add it when it's 'approved' in-game. And ensure next time you appoint a supervisor for that. Deal?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1379 on: September 05, 2015, 10:48:52 am »

Speaking of Booby Traps: Private SNAFU
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 127