Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215984 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1860 on: February 17, 2016, 02:34:36 am »

Can't we just configure all our Solid Light Protection Fields by default to turn off for a split second whenever the user fires a weapon?
Something like Star Trek, where they have a shield frequency they use to make their weapons shoot through it?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:44 am »

Come to think of it, it's probably a good idea to use a physical wire. :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: February 17, 2016, 09:35:37 am »

You stole my thoughts Egan! ;)

It reminds me of how ww1/ww2 fighter planes used to shoot machineguns through their propellers, and time the shots so it wouldn't hit the blades. Not exactly the same but similar concept.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20:30 pm »

Hmm I have an ideal for a simple and cheap mortar consisting of a pipe with a closed section that has a spike on the end. The mortar grenade is just a c02 cartridge with weighted mine on the end and fins. basically point the mortar towards target, drop mortar round, let it fly. One could then use different types of rounds for different effects. For instance, one could use remotely detonated ones. The ideal is just to make the cheapest and most affordable explosive throwing weapon as possible. Heck, one round could be something that throws a bunch of caltrops into the air that then rain down upon an area.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:43 pm »

Force infuser gun
I want to get this thing so it can one shot a battlesuit pilot. Then I will finally be satisfied.

-Change the bullet material from iron to something much more resistant to ablation. Probably hexbug. Should also help it not shatter on impact.
-Try different bullet shapes. Musket ball, ordinary bullet, spike, egg, teardrop, etc. Something has to be the best shape at these speeds.
-Just crank up the power until it can pierce a battlesuit's cockpit. Hopefully get there before hexbug starts to ablate. Even if hexbug starts to ablate hopefully get there soon.

Also, how about an underbarrel brisant variant?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:56:59 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: February 24, 2016, 06:51:22 pm »

PW just okayed something in the Poke thread, and you know what that means.
New Deathtube time!
This one is mostly just a refit of my electroblaster which, instead of simply nerfing as normal, they decided to simply not approve because of something something redundant.

Giving syv a list nine items long. :P

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:47 pm »

*SNIP*

The "responses" spoiler doesn't seem to need replies.  I'm open to a PM discussion if you send me one, though I have a distinct feeling you already have a pretty good idea of anything I might come up with.

Spoiler: command and control (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: knowledge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EUE (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spess shups (click to show/hide)

Can't we just configure all our Solid Light Protection Fields by default to turn off for a split second whenever the user fires a weapon?

Ehhh, maybe?  That's really more poke thread material.  I don't see any real reason why not, aside for the need for some way to detect your own gun's activation, but that should be trivial.

Also, lasers.

Force infuser gun
I want to get this thing so it can one shot a battlesuit pilot. Then I will finally be satisfied.

-Change the bullet material from iron to something much more resistant to ablation. Probably hexbug. Should also help it not shatter on impact.
-Try different bullet shapes. Musket ball, ordinary bullet, spike, egg, teardrop, etc. Something has to be the best shape at these speeds.
-Just crank up the power until it can pierce a battlesuit's cockpit. Hopefully get there before hexbug starts to ablate. Even if hexbug starts to ablate hopefully get there soon.

Also, how about an underbarrel brisant variant?

You know, I learned something new today.  Beyond a point, making your projectile go faster won't actually improve penetration depth, at least not within speeds attainable while in atmosphere.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_depth

More energy would increase damage, but I'm fairly certain you'd need to significantly penetrate the armor if you want the shock to be lethal.

Using hexbug darts helps greatly due to their excessive mass, but if you want something capable of getting reliable battlesuit kills you're going to end up with expensive ammo.  Also, you'll actually reduce lethality against unarmored targets, because you'll just be poking thin holes in them.  Hexbug isn't going to deform for anything short of steel.

As for the underbarrel brisant... It's difficult.  You should be able to get one that has less launching power than the normal brisant, and since it would be greatly cut down it should be cheaper.  But, from PW's perspective, it would perform exactly the same because he can't handle granularity.

Fuck it--balance is the council's job.  2t.

PW just okayed something in the Poke thread, and you know what that means.
New Deathtube time!
This one is mostly just a refit of my electroblaster which, instead of simply nerfing as normal, they decided to simply not approve because of something something redundant.

Giving syv a list nine items long. :P

1.You misspelled "Will never be seen again".
2.'Kay.  1t laser.  Still effective enough to boil flesh, it just doesn't do much cutting.  Excrutiating pain it'll do, but you won't cut off an arm without a long wait.
3.How much longer?  2t for assault-rifle type range, 3t for sniper type range.
4.Only taser level?  ...+0t, I guess.  Ineffective against any real insulation, including space suits, at least until the laser's melted through.
5.I'm... fairly certain Milno's suit was just asking Feyri's suit for vitals.  Even if not, that sort of technoology would be very difficult to use at significant range.  +5t for the scope, works to sniper range, and only sees in the visible spectrum.  Alternatively, you could hook the gun up to cameyes, but that would only work to... let's say short range.  Sniper scope doesn't work against people in bulky armor, but cameyes do.
6.Okay.  This could be a problem for snapshots because the gun refuses to fire until it's fully analyzed a person.  It would also be a massive problem because the computer would almost certainly get false negatives, leaving its operator defenseless, but you probably realize that.
7.Okay.  That's very good.
8.'Kay.
9.'Kay.

A list nine points long isn't too bad--Go look at Radio's post.  He isn't even giving me real questions to answer.  However, posting twice without consolidating posts is annoying...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: February 25, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »

I forgot about the first one because you don't update every other day like PW. :P

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: February 25, 2016, 04:10:55 pm »

So how expensive and how long do you think each hexbug dart would have to be to pierce a battlesuit?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: February 25, 2016, 04:25:28 pm »

Gonna leave this ideal here, space super soaker flamethrower.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:56 pm »

1: Yup, that's pretty much the plan.
2: Not sure how powerful the laser has to be to create the plasma channel, but if it could be lower power than that, that would be good.
3: Sniper. Like it says in the name of the weapon. :P
4: Not too worried about insulation, this is for use on defenceless civilians. (As we already have a method for electrocuting rowdy spessmen.)
5: Dunno. I was asking PW in the poke thread if this was possible and he said yes after me and Nav pointed out that quote. 5t seems like a lot for a visual-spectrum camera and a computer, but fine.
6: Fine.
7: I agree.
8: Kay.
9: Kay.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: February 26, 2016, 03:59:02 am »

A list nine points long isn't too bad--Go look at Radio's post.  He isn't even giving me real questions to answer.  However, posting twice without consolidating posts is annoying...
I shall henceforth be known as His Wallness, the Sultan of Prose.

Spoiler: speaking of walls (click to show/hide)

Finally, there's this little thing from the poke thread:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, thing is, in some situations it really might be better to keep the people closed in if there's lethal radiation storms outside, whereas in other said storms might be weak enough to warrant letting people outside. I'll quote something from the tinker thread to try and give you a better idea of what I mean:
So, it would basically try to give the colonists as much freedom and quality of life as it can afford without endangering the long-term survival of the colony.

That's why I have difficulty setting up a standard requirements list, because different universes might ask for radically unconventional base designs. From the Wikipedia page on 'Colonization of Mars':

So, a list like this would be the minimal requirements for any colony, but how each item is achieved is difficult to predict.

For example, on a planet with good, livable conditions outside, the colony might decide not to build a real rec room and instead just let colonists entertain themselves outside, saving resources for other projects. But then in another universe, where due to circumstances usable space is really limited, it might decide to provide all leisure through VR machines because there just isn't any room for a real life rec room. And in a third it might decide that a regular rec room is an acceptable use of resources. But that all depends on the circumstances, which vary so wildly (at least, from what I've seen from the universes explored already) I dunno if any 'standard requirements list' would be worth anything.

If you are afraid that you won't be able to come up with a good base design for a particular universe, you could always just ask us for inspiration. Or, ask yourself the question 'what are the main difficulties and limitations for this universe? How do they relate to filling need X? How could that need still be fulfilled then?

Remember that you won't have to describe (or even work out) every colony in every universe we send these to, just when necessary.

Fair enough. You can leave this entirely in the computer's hands then, if you want.  But it's gonna at LEAST need a prime directive. Some overriding goal for its construction and management. Just in case it runs into things it has no background for.

So, I propose we work out what that 'overriding goal for its construction and management' would be in here so we can save pw's precious sanity a little, unless you really prefer I keep it directly with pw.

((I really wish we could nest spoilers like quotes, would be soooo convenient).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:26:56 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: February 27, 2016, 01:33:47 am »

I was thinking of making a grenade based off the crystalline projector. It has the shape of a pineapple grenade
With crystalline projector seed crystals set in each section of the pineapple grenade.There is aster ex in the center and when it explodes it sends the seed crystals everywhere like your standard frag grenade.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:44:11 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 27, 2016, 09:18:34 am »

Ok, so we don't have any flame throwers sowhy not make something that is essentialy a super soaker that has a clip consisting of two bottles of liquids that burn when mixed. The liquids are mixed right before they are fired.
  If done right it could have some good range and what little bit of the mixture that hasn't burned away by the time it hits the target would coat the target in flaming liquid. I think that this would be best work against unarmored foes and make hreat crowd control,
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 27, 2016, 09:22:16 am »

We do have a flame thrower, a really good one at that. Universal chem thrower with namite loaded. Burns just about anything short of a literal alien god (though we haven't tried to torch the lurker yet, so even that might still be on the table).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127