Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215965 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1875 on: February 27, 2016, 09:24:05 am »

We do have a flame thrower, a really good one at that. Universal chem thrower with namite loaded. Burns just about anything short of a literal alien god (though we haven't tried to torch the lurker yet, so even that might still be on the table).
Oh okay,, maybe this could workas a cheaper option for the poor people. Fill the liquid container with namite.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 27, 2016, 09:39:55 am »

One problem might be that, knowing pw's lack of detail, anything that namite can't burn through would probably also be resistant to any other flamethrower-like weapon/ammo. And it's already about as cheap as these things come without just loading up on pure ethanol (free of charge). But you can try, of course, just pointing it out.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1877 on: February 28, 2016, 11:39:46 pm »

@Syv,NAV: I just wanted to add that one-shot-ing a battlesuit with the new armor Syv has developed should be almost impossible, since hexsand can stop almost any bullet. The problem is that it can only do so once before it shatters. So you might need some sort of bullet that breaks apart or a burst of bullets for multiple simultaneous devastating offensive deep strikes that can break apart the armour before penetrating it. That, of course, doesn't take into account that piecewise might have forgotten the exact properties of hexsand.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 29, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »

So how expensive and how long do you think each hexbug dart would have to be to pierce a battlesuit?

I don't want to answer this question.  I don't know enough about the relative properties of hexbug and BS plate to make a good decision.

I'll just go out on a limb and say you need a flechette type projectile that's seven inches long, because I like that number and it should be plenty, so you should get reliable kills.  Also, five minute charge time.

Let's say... four flechettes to the token.  That's assuming they're fairly thick, to maximize damage even against targets who aren't behind two feet of metal.  Also, they have no stabilization, and are thus inaccurate beyond closeish range.  Finally, they're traveling at several km/s, but not anywhere near as fast as an equivalent metal slug, so no worries about atmospheric ablation.

You can choose to make them thinner, which'll tend to cause less damage to less heavily armored targets because more of the energy will overpenetrate through.  Shouldn't change effectiveness against BSs though, because you're essentially turning their armor into more projectile mass, by dumping a crapton of energy into it.  The flechettes'll be cheaper if you make them thinner.

You can also choose to give the flechettes stablizing fins, which will increase accuracy at range.  That would increase cost.

Also, you can choose to run the design past the council, which will let people actually use the weapon in game, but will also significantly increase cost.  It might be better as NPC equipment.

LAST THING: This gun doesn't work in alternate universes.  It only works in the universe we're abandoning.

Gonna leave this ideal here, space super soaker flamethrower.

Okay... do you want me to run this post?  If so, please bold it.  Do you want to just suggest the tinker concept to someone else?  Post in Heph OOC.

Regardless, we already have a space super soaker.  It's called the Universal Chemical Thrower, and is capable of shooting napalm sufficiently hot to melt battlesuits, acid sufficiently strong to melt battlesuits in a different way, and gooop sufficiently sticky to trap battlesuits.

1: Yup, that's pretty much the plan.
2: Not sure how powerful the laser has to be to create the plasma channel, but if it could be lower power than that, that would be good.
3: Sniper. Like it says in the name of the weapon. :P
4: Not too worried about insulation, this is for use on defenceless civilians. (As we already have a method for electrocuting rowdy spessmen.)
5: Dunno. I was asking PW in the poke thread if this was possible and he said yes after me and Nav pointed out that quote. 5t seems like a lot for a visual-spectrum camera and a computer, but fine.
6: Fine.
7: I agree.
8: Kay.
9: Kay.

1. Don't respond to my bullets unless you have questions.
2.I don't know either, and it's difficult to find data on how powerful a laser needs to be to create a plasma channel.  Also, it's difficult to find how powerful a laser needs to be to harm a person.  So I'm just gonna make both numbers up and say that your laser needs to be of high enough intensity to hurt people, even if it hurts less than a hand laser.
5.It's high because spotting someone's heartbeat with a visual camera would be really, really hard.  You'd need it to have excessively high definition AND a very strong computer to process the images to figure out the heartrate.  I feel like it should cost even more than that, but then again cameyes are more multifunctional, much smaller, and have binocular vision.

Anything else?

A list nine points long isn't too bad--Go look at Radio's post.  He isn't even giving me real questions to answer.  However, posting twice without consolidating posts is annoying...
I shall henceforth be known as His Wallness, the Sultan of Prose.

Spoiler: speaking of walls (click to show/hide)

Finally, there's this little thing from the poke thread:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, thing is, in some situations it really might be better to keep the people closed in if there's lethal radiation storms outside, whereas in other said storms might be weak enough to warrant letting people outside. I'll quote something from the tinker thread to try and give you a better idea of what I mean:
So, it would basically try to give the colonists as much freedom and quality of life as it can afford without endangering the long-term survival of the colony.

That's why I have difficulty setting up a standard requirements list, because different universes might ask for radically unconventional base designs. From the Wikipedia page on 'Colonization of Mars':

So, a list like this would be the minimal requirements for any colony, but how each item is achieved is difficult to predict.

For example, on a planet with good, livable conditions outside, the colony might decide not to build a real rec room and instead just let colonists entertain themselves outside, saving resources for other projects. But then in another universe, where due to circumstances usable space is really limited, it might decide to provide all leisure through VR machines because there just isn't any room for a real life rec room. And in a third it might decide that a regular rec room is an acceptable use of resources. But that all depends on the circumstances, which vary so wildly (at least, from what I've seen from the universes explored already) I dunno if any 'standard requirements list' would be worth anything.

If you are afraid that you won't be able to come up with a good base design for a particular universe, you could always just ask us for inspiration. Or, ask yourself the question 'what are the main difficulties and limitations for this universe? How do they relate to filling need X? How could that need still be fulfilled then?

Remember that you won't have to describe (or even work out) every colony in every universe we send these to, just when necessary.

Fair enough. You can leave this entirely in the computer's hands then, if you want.  But it's gonna at LEAST need a prime directive. Some overriding goal for its construction and management. Just in case it runs into things it has no background for.

So, I propose we work out what that 'overriding goal for its construction and management' would be in here so we can save pw's precious sanity a little, unless you really prefer I keep it directly with pw.

((I really wish we could nest spoilers like quotes, would be soooo convenient).

I was thinking of making a grenade based off the crystalline projector. It has the shape of a pineapple grenade
With crystalline projector seed crystals set in each section of the pineapple grenade.There is aster ex in the center and when it explodes it sends the seed crystals everywhere like your standard frag grenade.

Hmm.  This is a pretty good idea.  It'd be a great method of area denial in addition to the normal role of area murder--step on the crystals, they eat your foot.

Cost is hard to say, because it's black box tech--I don't know how crystalline projectors work.  If you're essentially just copying the same design, minimum cost per grenade would be 2t, because that's the cost for a CP magazine.  However, you could ask PW if you can get it cheaper because the magazine doesn't need to function with the gun--maybe the two tokens of cost are for propulsion or something.

Alternatively, the council might give you a discount, though they tend to err on the side of too expensive.

Oh, and I'll just say you make this a brisant grenade.  There's no loss compared to the pineapple design, and it makes the grenade more useful.

@Syv,NAV: I just wanted to add that one-shot-ing a battlesuit with the new armor Syv has developed should be almost impossible, since hexsand can stop almost any bullet. The problem is that it can only do so once before it shatters. So you might need some sort of bullet that breaks apart or a burst of bullets for multiple simultaneous devastating offensive deep strikes that can break apart the armour before penetrating it. That, of course, doesn't take into account that piecewise might have forgotten the exact properties of hexsand.

Well, he's not trying to one-shot an assaultsuit.  That's one of the primary reason I gave my design a different name. :P

In any case, he could at least two-shot an assaultsuit, assuming both shots hit near each other (which would be trivial with a two-shot burst, due to the lack of recoil).  Yeah, hexbug has great resistance to kinetics, but he's shooting it with an absurdly high velocity hexbug flechette.  The hexbug layers in an assaultsuit cost about the same as a layer of BS plate, and resist a little over twice as well... but an AS only has two of them, plus one layer of BS plate.  The hexsand/sharkplate layers don't contribute much because even if they have great properties, they simply aren't on the level of hexbug.

Oh, and NAV?  If you want your gun to be able to one-shot an assaultsuit, you only need use a higher power shot.  AS armor is only nine inches thick, and its average density is only a little higher than BS armor; your obstacle is only energy, not penetration depth.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 29, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »

Guess what?

Spoiler: It's a spoiler! (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:26:11 pm by Radio Controlled »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 29, 2016, 09:18:54 pm »

Spoiler: Radio Reply (click to show/hide)

Just FYI to readers, you can join in this discussion if you want.  I don't believe I have any special weight in this, and even if I did, I'm fine with just saying "they're right", even if everyone disagrees with me on some issue.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 01, 2016, 12:29:12 pm »

You can also choose to give the flechettes stablizing fins, which will increase accuracy at range.  That would increase cost.
Yes.
Oh, and NAV?  If you want your gun to be able to one-shot an assaultsuit, you only need use a higher power shot.  AS armor is only nine inches thick, and its average density is only a little higher than BS armor; your obstacle is only energy, not penetration depth.
Yes!
What do you think it could do to an AoW? Killing the pilot is obviously a bad idea because the you have to deal with an unchained avatar, but crippling a limb?

Also, you can choose to run the design past the council, which will let people actually use the weapon in game, but will also significantly increase cost.  It might be better as NPC equipment.

LAST THING: This gun doesn't work in alternate universes.  It only works in the universe we're abandoning.
Correction: It doesn't work in any of the 4 alternate universes we've tested so far. There are almost certainly infinite alternate universes where it does work.
Still, I don't like the chances of this thing ever seeing use and it's probably not worth asking the council about right now. At least it was fun to design.

"Spider Pod"
Like a tripod, but probably has more legs. Attaches to bottom of your gun. Automatically adjusts to terrain, can change height, walks when you push it.
Maybe have separate light and heavy versions for rifles and cannons respectively. Depends mostly on size and costs.

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:55 pm »

Well dang, thought I'd have a coupe days to keep working on that post before you'd respond. If it seemed a bit sloppy or that it left more opening for critique than usual, that'd be why.

Anyways, taking it to the Hep ooc. Not today though, bed time now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:15:28 pm by Radio Controlled »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 02, 2016, 09:23:24 pm »

Yes.
Yes!
What do you think it could do to an AoW? Killing the pilot is obviously a bad idea because the you have to deal with an unchained avatar, but crippling a limb?

Correction: It doesn't work in any of the 4 alternate universes we've tested so far. There are almost certainly infinite alternate universes where it does work.
Still, I don't like the chances of this thing ever seeing use and it's probably not worth asking the council about right now. At least it was fun to design.

"Spider Pod"
Like a tripod, but probably has more legs. Attaches to bottom of your gun. Automatically adjusts to terrain, can change height, walks when you push it.
Maybe have separate light and heavy versions for rifles and cannons respectively. Depends mostly on size and costs.

Accurized flechettes cost 1t for two.  They make avatars angry and are the equivalent of stabbing a pencil deep into someone; Hurts, might be really bad if you strike a vital organ, but overall not too bad structurally.  Considering Avatars feel no pain and only get angrier if you kill their one vital organ, it isn't a very good weapon for avatar hunting.  Remember, this is penetrating armor with directed energy, not dumping so much energy that you're cratering things.

Spider pod... 4t.  I'm comparing to the remote hand which has many more useful included items, but is much smaller as well.  Yes, 4t is vastly cheaper than PW's walkabout tripod which presumably inspired this.  Remember that both the walkabout and this are useless.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1884 on: March 05, 2016, 11:55:55 am »

Ok guys, it's time.

We've reached a point in the game where we're getting close enough to the end and the cessation of missions that continued invention is gonna be...well it's gonna feel awful anti-climatic if you work on some giant weapon only for the game to end a mission or two later and no one uses it.   So the Tinker workshop is shutting down. And so soon after I let Sy run it too. Should have done that years ago.

However, don't leave just yet.  As you know, I want to include a crafting system in the next game, so I want to hear from you tinker addicts as to what you would like to see in it? Or just name some good crafting systems you've seen elsewhere.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 05, 2016, 12:12:44 pm »

One thing you could do is limit the ability to tinker/craft to the relevant skill of a character.

For example, any person could propose putting together items A, B and C, and the gm (or co-gm tinkermaster) could say if it has any chance to work at all. But to see if it leads to a really workable product or find out unforeseen problems, one would have to actually roll to make it for the first time, and the skill level could both/either influence the chance of making it correctly or influence the difficulty level a char can work at (eg level 1 handiwork means you're limited to using 3 different items/resources at once when crafting, but level 3 handi means you could use up to 7 different things).

I wouldn't make it so that every item needs to be rolled for every time though, but make it so that when you crafted it successfully for the first time, it can then be bought from npc 'shops' standard. Whoever originally invented it would get a discount to buying it, or could still just make it themself somewhat cheaper than buying it. And perhaps we can make it so npc shops have a certain level, and said level is determined by the level of development of whatever base/outpost you are at, or perhaps limited by the type of resources that are available in the vicinity.

Basically, make it so tinker oriented chars need to have the skills to back it up (not like now where a dolt with -2 mind and -2 gen knowledge and -2 aux and handi could tinker up thermonuclear laser guided dongs), but anyone can still think about and ask about possible designs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:39:43 pm by Radio Controlled »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 05, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »

I like most of Radio's suggestions, but I'm unsure if you should be able to just mass-produce something after making it only once.  Maybe you could get a bonus, but if it were sheer luck you succeeded the first ttime, that shouldn't mean you always do perfectly in the future.

As for shopkeepers, I don't think they should sell completed items unless those items have gotten really popular and common.   That would make the whole system essentially identical to our current tinker system, just with the caveat that it's parts based rather than infinite-resources based.  Instead, at most there should be NPCs with handi skill, who you can pay if you don't want to risk making something with your own -2 handi.  Maybe make them charge more based on how high their handi skill is.

Of course, if you want things to be less safe you could say there's no NPCs, and that players are the only ones who can craft.  Might make sense if some parts are demonic, and thus can corrupt people if mishandled.

As for systems I like... well, Fallout 4's system is pretty good, from what I've seen.  Different gun parts which can be assembled into a larger whole.  The system probably isn't granular enough for that.  A more gamey system is the type where various parts have specific alignments; say, you can get a gun barrel, but it might be aligned to holy or unholy or fire or insanity.  Then, if you mix parts from different alignments your gun might be degraded or unstable or something, but if you mix parts from one alignment, it gets a powerful effect from that.  Do you assemble this gun right now, using both holy and unholy parts, because those are all you have and you need the gun now?  Or do you wait until you can get holy versions of the unholy parts, making your gun entirely holy and granting it a unique effect?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 05, 2016, 04:48:41 pm »

Keeping most of the crafting player based could be a good idea, though it might also lead to the world feeling a bit 'smaller' if player chars are the only ones ever doing anything.

I do like the idea of the holyness, but unsure if there should be types beyond holy and unholy/corrupt. Maybe just have items have a holyness score, the higher the better (and rarer). And maybe have it so items become more corrupt over time (like a degrading mechanism for guns in some games). But maybe make it so items can be 'cleansed' by something (eg holy water) to bring them back to their original holyness level.

Also/alternatively make it so demonic items are more powerful, but increase the 'attention' the city and its inhabitants give you, and/or increase the chance for corruption of the wielder.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:53:23 pm by Radio Controlled »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 05, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »

I agree pretty much completely with the above post.  Having more than two alignments allows for more of a collection game, but just holy vs. occult would probably be more fun.  I was really just spitballing, anyway.

I do think holy shouldn't be intrinsically better than occult--rather, it should be safer, but have less power to compensate.  Or perhaps holy items could only be used by pure characters--who would generally be newbies--while occult items are equal, but can be used by anyone AND advance their user's corruption.  That would work well with our balancing system, no?

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 05, 2016, 10:42:17 pm »

Unholy's power could be somewhat based on what your current "faith" is at. The lower it is, the more damage it could inflict.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127