Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 205098 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #990 on: June 29, 2017, 11:40:07 am »

Is it bad that I find this game more frustrating and random than darkest dungeon?  Darkest Dungeon at least feels like there's some kind of reliable strategy to winning.  HEre I give my guys shield and put up shield wall (for the two turns they can maintain it, maybe) and they still eat every single fucking swing right to the face.
Shoes...

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 29, 2017, 03:02:48 pm »

The game is definitely manageable if you're good enough. It has never felt anymore unfair than darkest dungeon/xcom/ whatever to me.

Regarding 2-handers: they are mostly a late game thing. Early game they're too fragile to get much done but that's less of a problem late game when you have heavy armor.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 29, 2017, 03:30:19 pm »

The game is definitely manageable if you're good enough. It has never felt anymore unfair than darkest dungeon/xcom/ whatever to me.

Agreed, but I think one of the big hangups that people can have with Battle Brothers is that losing a character in it is equivalent to losing HP in an RPG: It's literally intended to happen regularly.

No death runs in newcom are easy (and keeping veterans alive in ironman isn't bad either) and you don't really get attached to characters in Darkest Dungeon, but in Battle Brothers you have to come to terms with acceptable losses among named, veteran troops that you've built up and gotten attached to.

That's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 29, 2017, 10:24:35 pm »

Back to playing this since over a year... So many new features.  Anyways, is keeping the starting 3 brothers or any of the early ones I find into late game doable?  Or is that not advised? 

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 30, 2017, 12:05:29 am »

Nothing bad's going to happen if they live that long, but they probably won't.

My problem is less losing guys and more the process to get there doesn't feel meaningful.  Battles are just everybody lines up and takes turns rolling dice until one team falls apart, and fatigue especially grinds the battle into exchanging single weak strikes after a few rounds.  It doesn't feel like there's really any strategy to this.
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 30, 2017, 04:31:15 am »

I haven't played the game for a while, but before the problem was that bouncing back from defeats is damn hard. Taking losses while winning, that's okay. But if you get defeated, it is very hard to get back on your feet. Making money to replace losses is hard as the contract difficulties have likely gone up to a level where you can't beat them with what you got. This would need some fixing by making low-pay, low-risk contracts available no matter how famous you become.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 30, 2017, 05:42:53 am »

My understanding is that you absolutely have to complete several runs in beginner mode and only once you've learned the ropes you can move to higher difficulties. On highest difficulty you pretty much have to win all of your battles, so you have to know when to insta retreat. There is a lot of strategy to this game once you start actually being tactical instead of just standing in a shield wall every fight. You need to know when to advance or even fall back, you need to rotate correctly, sometimes it pays off to not have all fighter in a single line and send people to ravage enemy's back line. Lots of stuff, really.

Your initial three companions are great to keep around, btw. Because they are really strong stat-wise. Companion archer for example is the best you will have for a long while. Later on they also spawn special events that train your rookie troops.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 30, 2017, 05:59:11 am »

Seems like a nice game. But you can't build anything right? Would've been great if you could use money to build fortifications or claim a village etc.

And why no linux/mac support? This kind of game seems extremely suitable for such OSes (and the kind of hardware i.e. laptops). If it had linux support (no wine trouble etc) I would have bought it directly.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 30, 2017, 06:09:40 am »

Back to playing this since over a year... So many new features.  Anyways, is keeping the starting 3 brothers or any of the early ones I find into late game doable?  Or is that not advised?

The starting three brothers are perfectly serviceable. They might not quite compete with top tier recruits but they're still good enough for the late game. The only one that's kinda weak is the shield bro.

I haven't played the game for a while, but before the problem was that bouncing back from defeats is damn hard. Taking losses while winning, that's okay. But if you get defeated, it is very hard to get back on your feet. Making money to replace losses is hard as the contract difficulties have likely gone up to a level where you can't beat them with what you got. This would need some fixing by making low-pay, low-risk contracts available no matter how famous you become.

Its been proven via community science (and backed up by the devs own statements) that the game difficulty scales with the strength of your company and not your fame nor the date. So the game should theoretically get easier after you take serious losses, although this may not happen immediately.

And why no linux/mac support? This kind of game seems extremely suitable for such OSes (and the kind of hardware i.e. laptops). If it had linux support (no wine trouble etc) I would have bought it directly.

Unfortunately the devs have decided that its not financially viable/not worth their time to port it over to other OSes.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:25 pm »

Got a response here that covers both someones complaint about combat slog as well as the discussion about 2-Hander viability.

If you're grinding shieldwalls against one another then you're playing it more like a TBS along the lines of Fire Emblem. While that'll carry you through a good bit, and obviously is especially viable if you build a company around the tactic, I don't think it's optimal OR fun.

My best set-up, and I default to this now so much that it might be hindering my growth, is a shield wall with a center of miscellaneous one-handed weapons flanked by spearmen pushed forward a space to create a C shape and work dem flanks. While my ranged guys harass the back line and my shieldwall batters itself against the enemy line I have a berserker or two that hang out in a pocket behind the shieldwall. Once a hole breaks in the line the berserkers leap into the fray and batter the already worn down opponents. Obviously the plan deviates in the presence of a necromancer but, well, what plan doesn't?

While I feel like it may be an obvious strategy to some of youse, I've come to a realization over the past few years of lurking threads on games with tactical combat: people love to blow their loads as quick as possible. That is to say, it seems like standard internet doctrine is to throw the biggest guys in first and sweep up with everyone else. Sometimes it's best to use a zweihander as a scalpel. and hit at just the right place at just the right time. Not saying there isn't merit to the first strategy, it'll usually do you well. But the big guys in reserve I think needs to be kept in mind more.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 21, 2017, 08:23:59 am »

Sooo... I was looking at Steam reviews, and apparently the game has been sort of abandoned??
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 21, 2017, 08:26:26 am »

Not 'abandoned'.
'Finished'.

I think by the time they rolled out 1.0 the devs were completely bored with it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:03 am »

I wouldn't outright say bored, since the game has been in development a long time - more of burned out and wanting to simply complete the game already since their passions have moved elsewhere.

Don't take the reviews too seriously : the game is hardly abandoned, and I would enjoy some DLC, but they're not obligated to give that to us, yes? Maybe they'll regain their passion for the project and make a BB2 after their current game, which looks to me like another tactics game, but either modern or post-apocalyptic.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »

Sooo... I was looking at Steam reviews, and apparently the game has been sort of abandoned??

Yeah, this is the fallout from so many games being in constant early access forever. People expect all indie games to be iterated on pretty much forever.

I do hope they do a few DLCs and stuff, but after spending years on one project it's fair that a small team takes a break.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 21, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »

The game successfully left early access, is feature complete, and received post-launch updates. It's abandoned in the same way that a bookshelf is abandoned because it's finished and has books on it.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 98