Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 370366 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Banter thread: Bad Reality Show Mafia is on the way!
« Reply #1290 on: May 22, 2015, 04:33:32 pm »

I like to play around with the relationship between the flavour and the game.  The line between flavour and, well, everything else in my games tends to be thin and porous.  I tend to try to integrate the mechanics, particularly unrealistic ones.  Reacting to player behaviour is also fun.  All my flavour, though, is generally hastily written.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Banter thread: Bad Reality Show Mafia is on the way!
« Reply #1291 on: May 22, 2015, 05:15:13 pm »

Since it looks like I'll be the one running BM LV (wow, 55 BMs already. I think I joined in the 30s), I think I'll attempt to get as much flavour in it as I can without affecting the game itself.

Also crossposting from the beginner thread since I need an answer on this.
Should the next BM still include the old OP, despite the consensus that it is outdated? If not, should we decide on a new BM OP before the next one starts?

EDIT: ...and ZU goes and answers that in the beginner thread just as I post this here.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Banter thread: I'm good at disappearing without a trace, I suppose
« Reply #1292 on: May 23, 2015, 12:27:16 am »

I'd love a bit of a discussion of flavour: what people want and/or expect in it, what they see the role of it as being, how they approach writing it, etc.  Any thoughts?

It depends on the game it's in. If it's a Beginner's Mafia or other standard setup I don't really care about the flavor. If it's a Paranormal or other Meph game, I pay attention to the flavor since it's mechanically important. If it's a lordnincompoop game I am going to analyze every word since the flavor is basically the whole point of the game.

Of course, well-written flavor is never a bad thing, but if the flavor isn't well-matched with the game type it's included in, both can suffer. Writing a character-driven novel in a BYOR would be a mistake.

Basically if it's a good match with the game type it's in and it's well-written then the flavor is good.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 23, 2015, 12:50:06 am »

I'm not good at flavor that much, so I tend toward humor.  The Roguelike series was an interesting flavor experiment, since I needed to try to make item fairly consistent, which proved difficult.

Good flavor can make a good game better, but it's rare for it to be distracting (unless it's a bastard game where players are trying to outguess the mod.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 23, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »

One of the people who seems to care about flavor the most is Tiruin, so a post from her should be the most interesting on this topic.

My favorite game flavor is probably Jim's opening post to the terminator Beginner's Mafia game he ran awhile ago, because it made me crack up. Do you all have any game's flavor you particularly like or are proud of?

Flavor tends to be one of the first things I think up. GBU for instance I thought up partly because of the flavor, and partly because a game with two different games running within it seemed like a cool idea. Flavor can be fun yet a bit tedious at the same time, but if you change it up it can be fun. In GBU, for instance, I wrote individual backstories for every soldier that I tried to make fairly historical.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 23, 2015, 01:16:54 pm »

Writing a character-driven novel in a BYOR would be a mistake.
Someone has to do this.
Do you all have any game's flavor you particularly like or are proud of?
Great flavour: Anything by Tiruin and any of LNCP's flavour-focused games.  I also rather enjoyed the flavour for the original CYOM.  BYOR 6.3 was also great, particularly the ending.  As for my best, probably my best moment was the highly assisted suicide in NSBM 4.

EDIT: And no discussion of good flavour can go without alien zombie demons.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:27:59 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 23, 2015, 02:30:36 pm »

Bring Someone Else's Role also had good flavortext if I remember correctly.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 23, 2015, 04:12:36 pm »

I've tended to add impromptu flavour text to vote counts, which (if there's a strong theme) isn't too hard to do but can be quite fun if it's tailored to reflect what's been happening in the game.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 23, 2015, 07:43:11 pm »

I have always liked Flavor text. It is probably one of the things that drew me in when I was still playing.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: May 23, 2015, 10:45:39 pm »

Good flavortext can make a good game better by adding some humor. Why play a game with a few power roles and an otherwise normal town when you can have alien zombie demons and atrocious spelling?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 26, 2015, 04:19:02 am »

I have always liked Flavor text. It is probably one of the things that drew me in when I was still playing.
^ This. So much.

Good flavortext can make a good game better by adding some humor. Why play a game with a few power roles and an otherwise normal town when you can have alien zombie demons and atrocious spelling?
And this one too. :P
I'm planning to run a (non-BM) Mafia when I can *finally* get a stable connection. Hopefully it'll be...ok. -_-

spruce

• Bay Watcher
  • escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 27, 2015, 07:37:09 am »

So is the Supernatural game not happening? I need to know for other commitments.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 27, 2015, 07:42:28 am »

Nope. He's just closing signups. Game will start soon.

Tomorrow morning I will close sign-ups and the game will start sometime later that day.

Have faith young Baahdawan
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

spruce

• Bay Watcher
  • escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 27, 2015, 08:21:41 am »

Baaaa-rammmm, you.

I waited all day yesterday... in like the rain and stuff... Now my wool smells like wet sheep wool.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:23:34 am by spruce »

spruce

• Bay Watcher
  • escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:58 am »

Is OK. Is OK, everybody. I know you worried. I take bubble bath, smell all pretty now. Here, have a whiff...
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 193