Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 370351 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread: Has this really been a thing for four years edition
« Reply #2355 on: December 29, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »

These days I can do mafia for maybe 3 days before burning out and cussing everyone out and then flipping the table.

I am torn between horribly missing mafia and absolutely hating how I feel when I play it.

Marathon was fun though, I seem to remember Tomasque wanting to do a sequel..? Perhaps I’m making that up.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: December 30, 2020, 06:37:21 pm »

These days I can do mafia for maybe 3 days before burning out and cussing everyone out and then flipping the table.

I'm wondering whether "One Night Werewolf" and its expansions would work. One Night (for night actions), then One Day (for the people to vote). Lynch scum, and Town wins. If Town mislynch, scum wins.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 30, 2020, 06:40:06 pm »

I'm wondering whether "One Night Werewolf" and its expansions would work. One Night (for night actions), then One Day (for the people to vote). Lynch scum, and Town wins. If Town mislynch, scum wins.
It's already gained sentience. We are doomed.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: December 30, 2020, 06:45:23 pm »

It's already gained sentience. We are doomed.
Relevant

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 30, 2020, 09:01:44 pm »

rarghlbargl
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: December 30, 2020, 11:15:21 pm »

The reason I chose the name "Skynet" was because I originally had plans to run a mafia game called "Skynet's Seduction". However, I never got the time to actually run this variant. So here I am, stuck with this name...though I do want to run something Terminator-themed soon.

My previous account on these boards was Servant Corps, so I'm a veteran on these boards, but for now, all I do is really lurk and observe other people's Mafia games.

EDIT: And when I saw hector13 talking about getting burnt out after 3 days, I immediately thought maybe the solution to his problem (and possibly my own problem of me not playing Mafia games as well) was to simply come up with shorter Mafia games. That way, you play, have fun, and then go about your merry days without banging your head against the keyboard. Would that actually work though, or would a short game take away from the fun in scum-hunting?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:18:13 pm by Skynet »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: December 30, 2020, 11:22:47 pm »

My previous account on these boards was Servant Corps, so I'm a veteran on these boards
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And when I saw hector13 talking about getting burnt out after 3 days, I immediately thought maybe the solution to his problem (and possibly my own problem of me not playing Mafia games as well) was to simply come up with shorter Mafia games. That way, you play, have fun, and then go about your merry days without banging your head against the keyboard. Would that actually work though, or would a short game take away from the fun in scum-hunting?
I think it's very much "cook to taste".  Some people like that kind of bite-sized mafia, others prefer long games, and some are fine with either.  At the moment we're basically running whatever we can manage to scrounge together enough players for because frankly this subforum has been dying for years, so it's just a matter of getting enough people to run it.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: December 30, 2020, 11:33:07 pm »

One day games invalidate certain daygame methods, like most forms of voting analysis etc.
It restricts the scope of the game similarly to how e.g. mountainous or no-scum-kill formats cut out a lot of variables which provide uneven context to a game. There's a point at which a game becomes so streamlined that there's no good reasons to discriminate between one player and another and the lynch ultimately becomes random.

I do think some kind of intermediate variant somewhere between true realtime mafia and longer forum games is probably a stronger format, and there's a lot to be said for lock-yourself-inside-for-a-weekend games which are slogged out over 48-72 hours of continuous activity. A lot of other communities do try formats closer to that but they also tend to be huge messes where people do shoddy realtime techniques but not well because the realtime techs that people much better than me at realtime mafia seem to do are extremely contextual and reliant on people physically replying fast enough that a 40+WPM is an actual requirement, so I dunno. The long-long form that B12 and a few other attached-to-obscure-game's-forum's-offtopic-section communities use has an opportunity for deep analysis other formats don't offer, with the problem that things which should be smashed flat into instant moments can easily have 24hr delays when you're waiting on one person who literally isn't present before proceeding.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: December 31, 2020, 04:22:43 am »

Along those lines, it would be really good to be more thoughtful about how to maintain our player base and improve board culture. What do we need that we don't have? How do we take care of everyone?

I'm aware that some players are just here to play a game and aren't really concerned with the culture, but we are in a social situation, and as such a social contract exists. What is the nature of that contract?

We could definitely do something like run a game in 72 hours over a long weekend; like a BM style setup, where each Day is, well, one day. It'd take some mucking about to make it work with timezones, and we probably couldn't do much by way of flavor.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: December 31, 2020, 09:14:08 am »

Along those lines, it would be really good to be more thoughtful about how to maintain our player base and improve board culture. What do we need that we don't have? How do we take care of everyone?

I'm aware that some players are just here to play a game and aren't really concerned with the culture, but we are in a social situation, and as such a social contract exists. What is the nature of that contract?

We could definitely do something like run a game in 72 hours over a long weekend; like a BM style setup, where each Day is, well, one day. It'd take some mucking about to make it work with timezones, and we probably couldn't do much by way of flavor.
You are right. That's part of the reason I started working on Mamobo. It could let us add more people and run quicker games that didn't rely on advanced mechanics to run (though, it could actually be possible eventually, if I got really bored)! It would be pretty flavorless, but they would at least allow for faster paced games.

I think that I have definitely had a bit of a negative impact on this culture before this, so I kinda want to fix that. Mamobo seems like a really fun and cool way to do this, and I hope I'm getting to be a cool player and fix those early mistakes I made around here. Like, early me is kind of a giant toxic cesspool. Actually, not kind of. I think I got a lot of free passes because I was good at the game.

I... don't believe that should be the case anymore.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: December 31, 2020, 09:35:41 am »

We could create some sort of civility clause. Ban cursing, the use of certain words like idiot, insults to intelligence etc.

I don’t take any of it personally anymore, I think it’s just part of the game, but very new players can find it very bothersome.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: December 31, 2020, 09:36:10 am »

Right, the free pass should be unconditional

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: December 31, 2020, 09:50:08 am »

Right, the free pass should be unconditional
Alright, I'll admit I laughed at that.

We could create some sort of civility clause. Ban cursing, the use of certain words like idiot, insults to intelligence etc.

I don’t take any of it personally anymore, I think it’s just part of the game, but very new players can find it very bothersome.
You're right. I definitely still insult people, and that seems like a detriment to finding more players than anything else. I don't think cursing is honestly a problem, though.

Maybe my personal goal is to not let the hate consume me. No insults for an entire game. Same aloof web, zero calorie insults.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:45 am »

While I understand wanting to cater to people's sensitive skin, I think censoring people's behavior is just detrimental to mafia.

Certain words shouldn't be allowed obviously.

If somebody is going to replace out because they can't handle the pressure or anxiety then I'm not sure what you could change without mafia not being mafia anymore.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: December 31, 2020, 10:12:45 am »

Certain words shouldn't be allowed obviously.
There's no string of racial/cultural/etc. epithets that's nearly as offensive as the attempt to manufacture a narrative which runs counter to the broader awareness and identity narrative of the reader and supplants their judgements and causes them to harm their own interests. It is literally the worst thing you can do to someone with art.
It's also what you're expected to do in mafia.

I don't think issues with recruitment have anything to do with culture (and have elaborated as such before, though without checking it couldn't say if what I said was correct), but surely if you're trying to find long term active players based on the information set available to you, you should be catering to the kind of environment which would appeal to young!webadict, right?
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 193