Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 679416 times)

Renugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2475 on: December 28, 2014, 12:21:01 am »

It would be easy to whip some reason up on the fly. The fort's being blockaded making it suicide for the boats to leave the port. They're stationed there after delivering troops to the fort and won't leave the docks until the soldiers are back onboard and it's time to go home. There's a real icky tide and the sailors don't wanna get a boo-boo. The captain got a splinter and is throwing a tantrum.

Real world shipyards often kept a few ships on retainer in the case of attack by water, so it wouldn't be so odd if a few were docked most of the time.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: December 28, 2014, 12:22:46 am »

The sole thing that worries me is that no dwarf knows how to use a boat.
Must be human captains.
Or dwarf-human hybrids.
Boat use is genetic, you know.

Renugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:20 am »

The sole thing that worries me is that no dwarf knows how to use a boat.
Must be human captains.
Or dwarf-human hybrids.
Boat use is genetic, you know.

...What? How did you come to that conclusion?

Renugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: December 30, 2014, 10:03:51 am »

Gonna go ahead and just bump this up a smidgen. Is everything coming along alright?

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: December 30, 2014, 10:28:00 am »

Its a know fact that if a dwarf enters a boat it causes said boat to sink to the bottom of the sea. The way around is to hook the dwarfs to a life preserver and use them like a weight balance.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: December 30, 2014, 11:46:24 am »

Its a know fact that if a dwarf enters a boat it causes said boat to sink to the bottom of the sea. The way around is to hook the dwarfs to a life preserver and use them like a weight balance.
It also seems that the sinking effect can be reduced by having no cats at all.
Cats absorb gravity from the sun. If there is no sunlight to gather gravity from, they gather it from the earth or the moon instead.
Dwarves absorb this gravity, counteracting buoyancy.
Having as many dogs as cats in your fort also helps negate this, since dogs create levity, the opposite of gravity.
Of course, since dwarves absorb gravity from cats, if you want to safely sail with dwarves whose fort has cats, you need at least 2 dogs per dwarf on your boat.
If you want to get technical, you need one dog per catdwarfyear. One catdwarfyear is defined as the gravity absorbed by a dwarf by being in a fort with 1 cat for 1 year. If a dwarf has resided in a fort for 3 years and for those three years there have been 10 cats, you need 30 dogs to counteract the gravity the dwarf has stored within itself.
Armok help you if you need to counteract the gravity of a victim of a catsplosion...

Renugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: December 30, 2014, 12:01:40 pm »

It also seems that the sinking effect can be reduced by having no cats at all.
Cats absorb gravity from the sun. If there is no sunlight to gather gravity from, they gather it from the earth or the moon instead.
Dwarves absorb this gravity, counteracting buoyancy.
Having as many dogs as cats in your fort also helps negate this, since dogs create levity, the opposite of gravity.
Of course, since dwarves absorb gravity from cats, if you want to safely sail with dwarves whose fort has cats, you need at least 2 dogs per dwarf on your boat.
If you want to get technical, you need one dog per catdwarfyear. One catdwarfyear is defined as the gravity absorbed by a dwarf by being in a fort with 1 cat for 1 year. If a dwarf has resided in a fort for 3 years and for those three years there have been 10 cats, you need 30 dogs to counteract the gravity the dwarf has stored within itself.
Armok help you if you need to counteract the gravity of a victim of a catsplosion...

OH, of course, you're talking about the well-known phenomenon of the gravitational pull exerted onto dwarves from the forces produced by felines. Everyone KNOWS that only humans are able to resist and completely ignore the powerful gravitational pull the cats generate without the need for canines, so that's why you said the captain would have to be human. How could I have been so ignorant to have forgotten that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:03:54 pm by Renugal »

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: December 30, 2014, 12:14:08 pm »

I........what.....how.............DWARF SCIENCE!!!!!!
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 30, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »

I have a minor scene done, it just needs some editing. Frankly, I'm having some trouble getting in the right frame of mind.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: December 30, 2014, 07:51:15 pm »

Send it to one of our fellow demongators perhaps for editing and a fresh pair of eyes.
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:09 pm »

I........what.....how.............DWARF SCIENCE!!!!!!
Indeed my good sir dwaven scientist!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:26 am »

Double post bumping powers activate!!!!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: January 04, 2015, 09:40:16 am »

>Demongate will never be finished
>Like Spearbreakers 2 will never start

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: January 04, 2015, 11:41:00 am »

Since writing up the ending is proving difficult for me, I figure I might as well start asking about the next fort and get back to this ending when I feel like it. So:

- I'm in favour of going with a hostile biome (freezing/scorching/evil) because it makes the place more interesting.
- Avoiding major modding will avoid two problems; losing time testing the mod and unforeseen problems (spimmators dying of old age, bloodkin getting trounced during worldgen), though adding a challenge race might be a good idea.
- I think we should keep the opening fluff as bare as possible. Comparing Demongate and Steelhold, I'd say that the less developed backstory gives players more room to work, and avoids new players having whole threads to read over to figure out what's going on.
- I don't think we ever came to a conclusion on whether to have an official megaproject or not.

Thoughts?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »

Since writing up the ending is proving difficult for me, I figure I might as well start asking about the next fort and get back to this ending when I feel like it. So:

- I'm in favour of going with a hostile biome (freezing/scorching/evil) because it makes the place more interesting.
- Avoiding major modding will avoid two problems; losing time testing the mod and unforeseen problems (spimmators dying of old age, bloodkin getting trounced during worldgen), though adding a challenge race might be a good idea.
- I think we should keep the opening fluff as bare as possible. Comparing Demongate and Steelhold, I'd say that the less developed backstory gives players more room to work, and avoids new players having whole threads to read over to figure out what's going on.
- I don't think we ever came to a conclusion on whether to have an official megaproject or not.

Thoughts?

Agree on all counts. I'd personally like an environment with lots of nasty syndromes - those are hilarious. Scorching/Freezing aren't really that challenging other than forcing you to go to the caverns for water.
Also, maybe it shouldn't even be a sequel. I don't see what the point is in staying in the same universe.
As for a megaproject... I'd rathernot.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 172