Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 142323 times)

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2017, 05:28:54 pm »

Sounds good. I will continue messing around with things soon. Too much to do right now.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2017, 04:12:10 pm »

The package exporting system is up.  You can now export your objects and tilesets in packages for other players to use - to add objects to a package, create a new package and click on the objects while the package is open.  You can search for packages by clicking on "import packages" under the Packages menu and then the "search" button.  I'm going to add a bunch of objects for world builders to make use of in order to make world building easier.

Objects in packages imported from other players are labeled as "read only"; you can place them where you like but you cannot edit the objects directly (although you can view their details).  When these objects are updated by their owners, your world will automatically load the updated objects.  If you do want to edit them, you can "claim" a package by deleting it and then selecting the "claim" option; this will allow you to edit the objects as if they were your own, but you will no longer receive updates from the original creator.  Also take note that any associated image files will remain linked to their original source, so you may want to copy that too, in case the original owner deletes or moves their files.

Packages have a "credits" field so if you copy another player's work (either by copying a package or simply using someone else's images and sounds) be sure to credit them.  This will be used later to create automatic credits reels.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »

I've added several packages under the search menu, including a basic tileset, coins, a healing point, an NPC and sign with variable text, and two enemy creatures (spiders and bats).  That should suffice for getting started, at least.

The spark system is also semi-active, in that earned sparks will be retained using the previously described system.  You can't actually view them properly yet though.

I've also made a snazzy new status menu (press Q to toggle it) which will be improved upon once items are implemented and there's something to display in the inventory.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2017, 03:25:35 pm »

I did a thing with the main menu.  It now showcases worlds randomly.

I'm adding some more information to the instruction manual too.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 20, 2017, 08:59:48 am »

Okay, I've added a whole bunch of things:

The avatar has been changed to their smaller, halfling size.  No more charged attacks; instead your attacks are limited by a stamina bar that causes them to become weaker if you attack too quick.  You can also do a quick dash and a dodge-roll to move faster, but it consumes stamina.  The overall difficulty of any given enemy hasn't been affected much.

Gates have been tweaked; there are more differences between the different kinds of gates.  Teleport and Bed Gates only work if the player's hitbox is inside the gate.  Ground Holes and Sky Holes now work properly; you put Ground Holes over a pit in order to create a gate that activates when you fall in.  This lets you do things like make a room "on top" of another room, where falling into a pit in the upper floor transports you to the lower floor instead of dying.  Don't make public pit gates for now, as these will cause you to fall into them.  You can make an object that flings you into the sky under a Sky Hole and your momentum will be retained when you pop out.  For now the "ceiling" threshold height is 256, if you go higher than this under a sky hole the gate activates.  I'm going to work more on this later.

Also, swimming is now a thing.  Only sprites with a swim speed can pass over water tiles.

There is also a "push force" parameter that allows sprites to push other sprites away if their hitboxes overlap without actually making them solid.  Push force is reduced by the mass of the sprite being pushed.

Asgarus and Daren, I tweaked your worlds a little bit to fix some compatibility issues.

I've added a lot to the help file; you can access it with the "About BoundWorlds" link on the main page.

I'm going to be away for a few days, so no updates until then.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 03, 2017, 12:55:52 pm »

I stopped getting notifications, but I am now watching again. Oops.

Edit: I tried opening up the world editor, but it just stayed in the level currently shown on the main screen background. Can't interact with it at all. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:20:33 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2017, 12:00:38 pm »

I stopped getting notifications, but I am now watching again. Oops.

Edit: I tried opening up the world editor, but it just stayed in the level currently shown on the main screen background. Can't interact with it at all. Any ideas?

Looks like there was a bug with creating a new world after the demo was made.  It's fixed now.

I am still working on this!  I haven't posted in a while because I've been making a complete overhaul in the media file storage system.  The new structure will fix a lot of things, such as the browser caching files with the same name and certain issues with updating packages.  It will also make sharing images and sounds easier, and include an automatic credit system.

Basically you'll be able to upload media files, which will be stored under a dynamically generated ID. The "personal" file system will still look like it does now, but it will be a "virtual" file system that has no bearing on the actual file location.  This means you will be able to re-organize your file system as you like without messing up the objects that use said files.  You will also be able to add credits text and other metadata to each file.  So if you specialize in making sprite sheets or music, you can upload your files as public, other players can use them, and you can see how often your files are used.  In the end, after every "playthrough", the game will automatically generate a "credits reel" based on who contributed to the player's experience.  (World Design, Object Programming, Artwork, Sound, etc.)

It's not quite done yet.  Should hopefully have it up in another week or two.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 04, 2017, 12:02:32 pm »

Cool! I’ll try building a world sometime today. Although I doubt it will turn out great. Well, whatever.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »

Okay, having an issue. When I make an passable switch (with dialogue) trigger on touch and set it to destroy itself when done (and transform it because that didn't work), it triggers multiple times, locking up the player unless they mash escape and space until the text box goes away. Then it destroys itself. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Edit: Now I have the opposite problem. The switch I made is deleting itself before the text pops up, and no text pops up at all.

Edit: Well, I found a workaround. It should do for now.

Edit: Okay, now on the death of my giant spider enemy, it is supposed to heal you and open a door. That isn't happening, instead it just dies. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:21:58 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 05, 2017, 05:50:06 pm »

Okay, having an issue. When I make an passable switch (with dialogue) trigger on touch and set it to destroy itself when done (and transform it because that didn't work), it triggers multiple times, locking up the player unless they mash escape and space until the text box goes away. Then it destroys itself. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Edit: Now I have the opposite problem. The switch I made is deleting itself before the text pops up, and no text pops up at all.

Edit: Well, I found a workaround. It should do for now.

Edit: Okay, now on the death of my giant spider enemy, it is supposed to heal you and open a door. That isn't happening, instead it just dies. Any ideas?

To make an object trigger other objects, set it's "triggers objects" parameter (under "basic player interaction" -> "actions") to the trigger code of the objects you want triggered.

Your door has a "trigger code" of 1, and will open when triggered.  The spider triggers objects on death; to make the door open when the spider dies it needs to have its "triggers objects" parameter set to 1.  As for restoring player HP, the default avatar has 100 HP.

However, objects which transform into something else on death (like an explosion) can be a bit trickier.  This is because when an object transforms, if it is "dead", it is fully restored upon transformation; i.e. the dead spider turns into a "living" explosion (which then "dies" when its timer runs out).  This can prevent certain triggers that would otherwise happen when the spider "dies".  Although it probably shouldn't.

You can bypass this behavior more consistently using functions, or forego the explosion and just use a regular fade-out death animation.

Nice work, by the way!  Though that rolling-long-jump exploit you've discovered probably won't remain for the default avatar... I'm planning on changing the rolling physics in general because rolling everywhere to move faster is silly.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 05, 2017, 06:04:41 pm »

Fair enough. I’ll make a new jump then. I thought I had both triggers set to 1, but maybe I forgot. I’ll check, then try a workaround. Any ideas on the switches that delete themselves before activating or displaying text issue? Edit: Now it isn't happening? Odd.

Edit: OOPS! I see the issue. I had it set to trigger on 1 instead of trigger 1.

Edit: The issue is actually if you have jumps over variable level terrain. I can create an example if needed, but the camera seems to be adjusting to the lowest empty tile or walkable tile, which makes jumps over the unreliable terrain really messy, and it breaks ladders if you are experiencing it.

Edit: Sometimes, using an attack towards a far away enemy causes you to lunge giant distances. Not sure why.

Edit: You can attack mid air, which breaks jumps.

Edit: Somehow, I ended up in edit mode for the Forbidden Temple map. I didn't do anything, but that could be a serious problem. Not sure why either.  One of the times, it gave me the pop up you get for leaving an area you are editing, which lets you hit the continue editing button. The other time, I hit escape or space just after entering an area, so I don't know what happened.

Edit: Oops, didn't mean for that dungeon to be visitable until now. Well, probably nobody noticed anyways. Visitable now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:52:02 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 06, 2017, 12:49:35 am »

Yeah, there are still quite a few bugs associated with the areas that sidescrolling and top-down physics intersect.  They'll be improved in time.  You can avoid most of the issues by making a clear boundary between "regions".

Don't worry too much about opening the editor in other player's worlds.  I mean, it is a bug, but there's a server-side check to make sure that you can't upload edits to someone else's world regardless of how it happens, to stop both hackers and glitches alike.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 06, 2017, 01:00:32 am »

Okay. The clear border between regions just doesn’t always work. Good to know that the demo mode edit thing isn’t a huge issue. Although you could copy others work, which is not so good.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 06, 2017, 10:12:30 pm »

Is there any way to save a switch thing between worlds? I would like to reuse the characters I made, but it would be kind of odd if they had no change if you had met them before.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 06, 2017, 11:51:00 pm »

Is there any way to save a switch thing between worlds? I would like to reuse the characters I made, but it would be kind of odd if they had no change if you had met them before.

Not yet.  That's one of the things items will be used for.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 90