Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 153

Author Topic: ER: Dead Man Running: Episode 4: Get in here and vote on some Murder.  (Read 290261 times)

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
Re: ER: Dead Man Running:Episode 3: Yarrrrrr
« Reply #1515 on: May 23, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »

"Hey, guy with the rifle? Shoot the blue captain. Like, right now, before that guy in the athlete suit kills my bet."
"Sword" hands Hapah three Deadman Dollars.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:15:06 pm by swordsmith04 »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 23, 2014, 03:13:47 pm »

RESPAWN
GET DD ONCE AGAIN

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 23, 2014, 03:19:14 pm »

Begin breakdancing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 23, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »

(PF3DS will add stats later)
Stay hidden. Try snorting hat.

Edit:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:17:08 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 23, 2014, 03:26:34 pm »

You get 8 dd

Also yes, I'd love to pawn that work off on someone Allow someone who would enjoy doing that the chance to set up a better betting system and run it with ironfisted violence and utter corruption care and objectivity.
Aw yiss.

Question then: What's the point of betting supposed to be? To amuse the masses while they're being amused? To reward the cunning and punish the stupid? To give spectators another source of DD? To fatten the pockets of any with the ambition to seize the reins of power and rule these simpletons like a malevolent god?

Because that might have minor implications for how it should work.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 23, 2014, 03:27:34 pm »

Question then: What's the point of betting supposed to be? To amuse the masses while they're being amused? To reward the cunning and punish the stupid? To give spectators another source of DD? To fatten the pockets of any with the ambition to seize the reins of power and rule these simpletons like a malevolent god?
"Yes."
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 23, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »

You get 8 dd

Also yes, I'd love to pawn that work off on someone Allow someone who would enjoy doing that the chance to set up a better betting system and run it with ironfisted violence and utter corruption care and objectivity.
Aw yiss.

Because that might have minor implications for how it should work.

I'm not sure PW has ever commented directly on what the 'purpose' of the betting system is, other than to increase audience involvement.

We had a discussion going earlier about the 'minimum requirements' of the system. I think the only solid requirement was that it had to be at least zero-sum, where no bet exists that guarantees a gain (such as what several people keep trying to do, and keep getting PW declaring bounties on them :P )
Other than that, it would be nice if the odds reflected somewhat the state of the game. So, if Blue team is fully equipped in olympian suits, and red team is a bunch of 0-point noobs, the odds should be setup so that a blue team win pays out far less than a red team win.

If you want some help, I could probably scrounge up enough time to make a simple program to calculate odds based on some arbitrary 'power' value. So, feed the program some arbitrary power level of each player, and it will feed you back an odds chart to use for betting.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 23, 2014, 03:46:07 pm »

"Welp! Time to go out as an idiot or a champ!"

Charge at and attempt to push the metal man overboard.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 23, 2014, 03:53:45 pm »

We had a discussion going earlier about the 'minimum requirements' of the system. I think the only solid requirement was that it had to be at least zero-sum, where no bet exists that guarantees a gain (such as what several people keep trying to do, and keep getting PW declaring bounties on them :P )
Other than that, it would be nice if the odds reflected somewhat the state of the game. So, if Blue team is fully equipped in olympian suits, and red team is a bunch of 0-point noobs, the odds should be setup so that a blue team win pays out far less than a red team win.

If you want some help, I could probably scrounge up enough time to make a simple program to calculate odds based on some arbitrary 'power' value. So, feed the program some arbitrary power level of each player, and it will feed you back an odds chart to use for betting.
The main thing I was strongly considering was what actual gambling of this sort tends to use, wherein the odds depend on how many people are betting for a given thing. So for instance, you remember the Silent Auction challenge where everyone and their dog bet on the wrong one, and one person bet on the right one? At the moment that was just a straight payout or loss, but in a more realistic setting the house would basically say "okay, everyone's betting on this, that makes them more likely to win/will be more expensive if we lose, so obviously it's worth less if/when they do." The lone guy who bet on the underdog, on the other hand, would have been rolling in it.

The advantage of this kind of a thing is that it's more or less automated. Disadvantages include less satisfying rewards if you guess correctly but aren't the only one (which isn't always going to be a function of picking the most powerful or maimed to win/die), and the fact that it works a lot better the more people you have wagering.

"Power" functions strike me as a poor idea mechanically, but a far more interesting one. The main issue I have with... actually, I guess you could calculate their odds to hit or something and get a nice spreadsheet of everyone's eventual odds of winning based on various criteria (rolling a 5 followed by them rolling a pair of 1s, rolling higher than them enough times that they're probably maimed or something, etc).

Anyway, even with that a "power" function would probably be a bit arbitrary, especially once we get into chunky salsa differences rather than numerical bonuses. That said, I do like it because it gives a nice shiny number to display in front of everyone, as opposed to just the current odds or something kind of clinical like that. Might go for something simpler, though, like their total useful actions minus their harmful actions, or some known-to-be-useless "+1 for having all limbs, +1 for having a weapon, +1 for killing intent" type thing.

I probably don't want to get fancy enough to give each contestant their owns stat card, but it'd be very thematic.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 23, 2014, 04:03:26 pm »

The main thing I was strongly considering was what actual gambling of this sort tends to use, wherein the odds depend on how many people are betting for a given thing. So for instance, you remember the Silent Auction challenge where everyone and their dog bet on the wrong one, and one person bet on the right one? At the moment that was just a straight payout or loss, but in a more realistic setting the house would basically say "okay, everyone's betting on this, that makes them more likely to win/will be more expensive if we lose, so obviously it's worth less if/when they do." The lone guy who bet on the underdog, on the other hand, would have been rolling in it.

The advantage of this kind of a thing is that it's more or less automated. Disadvantages include less satisfying rewards if you guess correctly but aren't the only one (which isn't always going to be a function of picking the most powerful or maimed to win/die), and the fact that it works a lot better the more people you have wagering.

"Power" functions strike me as a poor idea mechanically, but a far more interesting one. The main issue I have with... actually, I guess you could calculate their odds to hit or something and get a nice spreadsheet of everyone's eventual odds of winning based on various criteria (rolling a 5 followed by them rolling a pair of 1s, rolling higher than them enough times that they're probably maimed or something, etc).

Anyway, even with that a "power" function would probably be a bit arbitrary, especially once we get into chunky salsa differences rather than numerical bonuses. That said, I do like it because it gives a nice shiny number to display in front of everyone, as opposed to just the current odds or something kind of clinical like that. Might go for something simpler, though, like their total useful actions minus their harmful actions, or some known-to-be-useless "+1 for having all limbs, +1 for having a weapon, +1 for killing intent" type thing.

I probably don't want to get fancy enough to give each contestant their owns stat card, but it'd be very thematic.

Yeah, we discussed the automated systems. They would be really easy for us to do, are definitely zero-sum, but kind of unsatisfying. Essentially no reward for guessing the obvious answer, massive rewards for betting on an underdog, but *only* if everyone else bet on the obvious answer. It also requires audience participation, which means it either works fantastically if everyone participates, or withers on the vine if no one does.

The 'power' suggestion requires fine tuning, but is probably the most flexible and useful. I intend (personally) for the power level to be a bit arbitrary, and for the variance in power to be fairly small. Like, if I wanted to make a more concrete system, say everyone starts at an arbitrary power of '20'. Having 10 points would increase your 'power' by 1. Having a suit of some kind would also increase it by 1, or maybe 2 for the best suit. Losing limbs would decrease your power by 1. But compared to the original power, this doesn't affect the power that much, and takes a particlarly massive mis-match (a person with 40 points and an olympian suit vs. a quadruple amputee) to significantly affect the odds.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 23, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »

@ irony: we had a discussion before about auto-balancing bets before, you could look at that.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 23, 2014, 04:09:07 pm »

I predict we will need a DMR OOC thread soon.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 23, 2014, 06:58:41 pm »

Tsafi allows himself a satisfied smirk as he watches his victim topple into the arena, then casts a quick, wary glance around.
Nobody seems to be coming to avenge their bloodthirsty comrade, so he just shrugs, reaches into a pocket of his jacket and starts counting out a few coins, humming softly all the while. Nothing makes one feel so alive as ending the life of another!

>Get DD, make sure no-one's about to jump me.

Spoiler: OOC @PW (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »

AFTER RESPAWNING, IF I HAVE ENOUGH DD, ORDER HAPAH OR WHATSHISNAME WITH THE RIFLE TO SHOOT YOINK

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 23, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »

"Hey, guy with the rifle? Shoot the blue captain. Like, right now, before that guy in the athlete suit kills my bet."
"Sword" hands Hapah three Deadman Dollars.
"You got it!"

If I can see blue captain, shoot from where I'm at. If I can't, move down to the railing to get a better angle and take the shot then.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 153