Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58

Author Topic: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 72; Game over man  (Read 46664 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 8
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2014, 10:15:22 am »

No problem, Zanz, you've got nothing to fear from me.

Spoiler: Greenland Turn 8 (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »

Has the battle system been explained anywhere? Can you take territory or just cities with soldiers? What about razing land?
Here is my explanation from a earlier game:
Battles are pretty simple. There is a 20X1 field, and units walk towards the enemy from their sides at their speed each turn until they get in attack range. They can't attack the very first turn they get in range (except for units with the charge ability, who get a bonus to attack on the charge), so the units that walked into range attack next turn.
Each units randomly selects an enemy unit and attacks, dealing 1Dattack-1Ddefense damage  (random number between 1 and attack minus a random number between 1 and defense).
This works out so that two units fighting one will get in between 3-4 times more attacks, so assuming the units are near equal, even a few more units will cause a significant difference.
Focusing is very random, a army won't pick the same units to fight (although they can all pick the same ones if you get lucky), and won't stick with fighting the same unit till it dies either, so how much they focus can very well decide larger battles.
Units get 1XP per turn they are in battle.
EDIT: As for the second and third parts of your question:
You clear enemy territories with soldiers, but to take them you have to colonize them yourself (and you can't use soldiers as a colonizing point either, although you can use boats for that purpose). You can take cities just fine though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:06:19 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2014, 04:30:30 pm »

So a balanced, combined-arms approach to armies is more risky and less reliable than hordes of the same unit? Since, you know, your spearmen might never fight the cavalry; your archers might try instead? And your cavalry impale themselves on pikemen?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2014, 03:05:18 am »

What does experience do for units? Do they level up and improve their stats then?

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:02:49 pm by Jboy2000000 »
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2014, 02:33:05 pm »

Wait a sec, I just realized I need to edit my turn. Forgot to make use of my Labor.

EDIT: And done.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:34:57 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2014, 05:29:50 pm »

What does experience do for units? Do they level up and improve their stats then?
Experience gives +2 HP per level, and it also typically gives +1 of a stat (attack at lv 1, defense at lv 2) as well. It also occasionally improves other stats (eg. charge strength), but that changes on a unit by unit basis.

So more experienced units are noticeably better, but its more important to create higher teir units then getting high XP lower teir units.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2014, 03:25:49 am »

You know, this game would definitely benefit from having some kind of manual. I imagine the xp requirements for levelling up vary by unit and are a mystery to the player until it happens? Is an undefended city taken automatically when invaded or does it get some kind of native defence?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2014, 04:40:49 am »

You know, this game would definitely benefit from having some kind of manual. I imagine the xp requirements for levelling up vary by unit and are a mystery to the player until it happens? Is an undefended city taken automatically when invaded or does it get some kind of native defence?
Yeah, a manual would be a great help indeed. I might actually consider making one if I get the time.

XP requirements are the same for all units (at 10/20/50/100), but the effects for XP vary slightly between units (notably some special powers get buffed, and some endgame units even get new powers). If you want to check them for any unit you can go to the admin interface, create a army->create unit, then fiddle around with its XP values.
After some checking, it appears that the health XP gains very by unit now (+2 per level for weaker units and up to +4 for tankier units).

If you have soldiers in an enemy city then you have the option of taking it. Cities have: A passive +25% defense bonus for all friendly units in it (which can be made much higher through walls). With even a simple palisade, this bonus is enough to turn a slight loss into a clear victory.
Note that this bonus stacks with the defense you get from forests/hills/mountains (+25/25/50%).
Enemy troops also require a full turns movement to enter a hostile city, which means that you have to sit at least a turn outside the walls before attacking. Cities have no passive defenses though, so once enemies manage to kill any defenders, they can take it without any problems).
So a balanced, combined-arms approach to armies is more risky and less reliable than hordes of the same unit? Since, you know, your spearmen might never fight the cavalry; your archers might try instead? And your cavalry impale themselves on pikemen?
Not riskier, but in general sub-par.
There are a few basic unit types depending on attack range and move speed (eg. Infantry, Ranged, Calvary). You generally want to keep with the same kind of unit in a battle (unless there is good reason to use others) so that all your units arrive in the fight at the same time and all the enemies forces have a pool of all your units to choose from when you attack (rather then a few to focus kill at a time).

That said, if you only get a horse per turn, you are going to have to make the rest of your army out of other things.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:55:16 am by lemon10 »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2014, 05:10:52 am »

Turn 9
Spoiler: Turn 8 results (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Icefire turn 8 (click to show/hide)
I really don't like having to keep autoing Icefire, nor do I want to kick him from the game, because he has posted whenever he is on. But since he isn't on that much, I don't think I am going to have much choice in the matter if I want to keep the game going in a timely manner. And given my previous game of this (where turns always managed to take at least a week), I really want to keep this going quickly.
So next time he A) Fails to post a turn within two days after it comes up AND B) Fails to post within a day of the next latest person, he will be dropped from the game, and replaced.
-----
Admin interface
Player interface

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 9
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2014, 05:53:35 am »

Spoiler: NQT Turn 9 (click to show/hide)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »

"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2014, 02:41:39 pm »

this not being very far in, I'll take over if icefire is dropped
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »

this not being very far in, I'll take over if icefire is dropped
Sorry Kashyyk is in the waitlist before you. You can replace the next person if anyone else drops though.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58