Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

Author Topic: Vanaard Corp Mistakes: A minimalISH mutation-happy RTD  (Read 51099 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Vanaard Corp Mistakes: A minimalISH mutation-happy RTD
« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »

Two things I have to get out of the way when writing my turn. Both refer to Lenglon. Of course, if Blitz would also like to grace us with his action, that would be nice.

1:
I've got to get out of here. If only I could hear like a bat, knowing where everything is around me by sound alone, maybe then I'd be able to slip past... Oh well, I need to focus on the here and now.
What sensory systems are you referring to? Echolocation?

2:
"ah, um... fine! I'll do what I can!"
charge <Monster with a gun> and attempt to taze him into submission.
Is it really too much effort to spend 5 seconds looking at enemy statuses for whoever's holding the SMG?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2014, 11:40:54 pm »

Two things I have to get out of the way when writing my turn. Both refer to Lenglon. Of course, if Blitz would also like to grace us with his action, that would be nice.

1:
I've got to get out of here. If only I could hear like a bat, knowing where everything is around me by sound alone, maybe then I'd be able to slip past... Oh well, I need to focus on the here and now.
What sensory systems are you referring to? Echolocation?))
sort of, yes. but I'm more interested in innately knowing the location of any sound sources in the area with crazy-good hearing. so for example if someone walks around behind me I'll innately know the location and spacing of every footfall, I'd know the location I'm hearing breathing from, and at very close distances I could hear the wind whistling against someone's arm or bat or blade as they swing it at me and know exactly where the blow is coming from. echolocation is secondary to this, but would be very nice to have as well. of course, since echolocation is above normal human hearing range, I expect Erin's vocal chords to change to make her higher pitched - for conveniece's sake, please let me remain audible and capable of speech.

oh, and I do expect that a restructuring of her ears to match a bat (human-sized of course) would be necessary. and it was part of her mental image of how the ability would work.
2:
Is it really too much effort to spend 5 seconds looking at enemy statuses for whoever's holding the SMG?
My character isn't thinking that way. He isn't "Infected Guard 1", he's "That monster shooting a gun at people!"
Do you want me to put (Infected Guard 1) in parenthesis after saying who my target is? I can do that without issue.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2014, 12:39:15 am »

1:
What sensory systems are you referring to? Echolocation?
sort of, yes. but I'm more interested in innately knowing the location of any sound sources in the area with crazy-good hearing. so for example if someone walks around behind me I'll innately know the location and spacing of every footfall, I'd know the location I'm hearing breathing from, and at very close distances I could hear the wind whistling against someone's arm or bat or blade as they swing it at me and know exactly where the blow is coming from. echolocation is secondary to this, but would be very nice to have as well. of course, since echolocation is above normal human hearing range, I expect Erin's vocal chords to change to make her higher pitched - for conveniece's sake, please let me remain audible and capable of speech.

oh, and I do expect that a restructuring of her ears to match a bat (human-sized of course) would be necessary. and it was part of her mental image of how the ability would work.
First of all, that sounds incredibly powerful and extremely difficult for me as a GM. Understand, I do not go around thinking of every single living thing in every single room as soon before hand, so, for example, I have not even thought of what's in Sub-section A through D yet. I think of things on the fly, so there probably will be situations where the ability would fluctuate between hearing people far away to not hearing people even in the next room if I have not thought anyone would be going that way yet. In addition, I am definitely not going to list every single sound you can hear every time, so if I ended up noting that you heard something... it would probably be a pretty obvious sign that there's something of interest. I also will have to constantly remember that you have it, which is something I cannot promise.

Unless you mean just a close distance, then that's a bit more reasonable and less likely to cause problems for me as a GM, though it would also be far less useful because the problems I listed for you as a player would be increased in magnitude.

In all, I probably will still give it to you simply due to the fact that mutating hurts you a lot, but it would both probably be less useful than you think and probably have unusual quirks simply due to the nature of the mutation.

As for echolocation being secondary, in that case I won't give it to you, because I'm pretty sure it would be a related but separate mutation to increased hearing ability. Feel free to give me a link if I'm wrong.

2:
My character isn't thinking that way. He isn't "Infected Guard 1", he's "That monster shooting a gun at people!"
Do you want me to put (Infected Guard 1) in parenthesis after saying who my target is? I can do that without issue.
Quite frankly I'd prefer no parenthesis at all. I have mentioned before in the first post that roleplaying is unenforced, and quite frankly that roleplaying was actually overboard and completely pointless. Actions are actions, not roleplaying, not talking, not thinking.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:57:36 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2014, 01:03:35 am »

I mostly want to be aware of close distances, so that works. As for the whole information/work overload, could you just treat it similar to a form of passive radar? It's more usefull if my/my character's brain automatically processes the information to tell me what is happening where anyway - So bascially I know what is going on around me no matter where I'm looking, and even if blinded or my vision is blocked by something. such that if necessary I could even functionally fight an enemy behind me without ever looking at them, or even multiple ones at once with signifigantly reduced penalties since I'd know what they're doing without actually seeing it. There's no need for it to go outside the room unless I specifically focus on it, which would be an action I'd have to mention every time I wanted to do it, and I can't get an accurate sense of things far away if I focus on or do anything else for the entire turn, meaning I can't focus on multiple areas at once and it's an investment to me as a player to even bother at all.

in short, short-range combat-oriented version would be good, with specifically focusing on long distances necessary for them to be sensed, and no need to describe the tiny sounds I'm picking up, since they're being auto-processed anyway.

as for the targeting... fine. editing now.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2014, 01:38:22 am »

As for the whole information/work overload, could you just treat it similar to a form of passive radar? It's more usefull if my/my character's brain automatically processes the information to tell me what is happening where anyway - So bascially I know what is going on around me no matter where I'm looking,
It is assumed every character is preforming a bit of looking around every turn and in potential time between turns to get basic information of their surroundings and generally getting the same information from everyone else in the room with the same rolls, and high-rolls only get special information because of their rolls, so this would be pointless because they would probably "know" where everyone is anyway. All this would end up doing, as a result, is free you from whatever roleplaying excuses you could make to not attack someone based on not seeing them. :P

and even if blinded or my vision is blocked by something.
This, on the other hand, has a point, and I have no problem with it. Though it would probably be better for you as a player to assume it exists and gives you good information even while not being able to see rather than me as a GM constantly mentioning things because, as I mentioned, I might forget.

such that if necessary I could even functionally fight an enemy behind me without ever looking at them,
Like I mentioned, mechanically pointless because it's assumed that characters are looking around. The only point where it would make a difference is in sneak attacks against you, which I'm not sure how I'm going to handle them in the first place yet.

or even multiple ones at once with signifigantly reduced penalties since I'd know what they're doing without actually seeing it.
I'm probably not going to let players attack multiple enemies at once unless they get explosives. As for defensive, I don't recall giving characters penalties to defense from being attacked by multiple enemies nor do I think I will ever introduce such things.

There's no need for it to go outside the room unless I specifically focus on it, which would be an action I'd have to mention every time I wanted to do it, and I can't get an accurate sense of things far away if I focus on or do anything else for the entire turn, meaning I can't focus on multiple areas at once and it's an investment to me as a player to even bother at all.
Sure, that sounds fair, just be sure to hint that you're using a mutation every time you do so though, in the potential case of me thinking you have standard hearing.

Anyway, that's about all I needed to know and needed to inform you about.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 08, 2014, 02:56:55 am »

Attack Infected Guard 1 with my appendages!
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 08, 2014, 04:10:39 am »

Turn 25: Good god... what the fudge. The rolls, my god they suck... The roll average is just slightly above 7. So yeah.

Start slashing Guard 1's gun hand/arm.
[9]: You slash at the guard's arm, but he seems quite intent on not letting you cut it, so you miss several times and don't manage to hit his arm.

Strangle scientist 1 with tentacles.
[1!]: Unfortunately, it appears attacking the person who rolls 1s results in you getting 1s. He kicks you in the face as you try to approach, and you are pushed back with minimal effort.

I appreciate the change in attack tactics, but please don't roll 1s while doing so. :P

Crap. RETREAT!!! Preferably to somewhere with medical supplies, and no angry monsters. If not, just get behind the people not trying to kill me
[6]: You get up and run, but in your panic you can't remember where has medical supplies. You jump into the safest place you can think of, Sub-section F.

Suddenly, you feel a tingle. Your thumbs and pinky fingers disappear, as your remaining three fingers suddenly grow a jagged single solid bone plate on the top of them, and a carapace beneath. The plate sharpens out as it reaches the end of your fingers, where they become lethal bone blades. Also, your fingers are now far bigger to compensate of the loss of your others. The bone plate, as you bend your fingers, sticks to the front of your fingers, which does leave the lower parts of the fingers exposed while bending.

On one hand, you have a lethal weapon now, on the other you have no thumbs! Not like that's going to do much, since Tamer can fire his pistol somehow anyway, but still.

It is also now that I'd like to remind you that you are lucky that you don't have a strain that injures on mutation!

Well, damn. Hit the infected with my baton. Hard.
((I would like to remind you of my conversation with Samarkand. I do prefer you spending a couple additional seconds listing your targets))

[11]: You finally hit the scientist with your baton, but only manage a moderate strike on his face. It doesn't do too much damage. This is why you aren't a policeman.

Headstomp the guard!
[6]: Repeating your stunning successes of earlier, you miss the guard with your stomps.

You are a disappointment to yourself.

At least you regenerate properly. If nothing else.

charge Infected Guard 1 and attempt to taze him into submission.
[7]: You charge the Infected Guard with your taser and firing, but you miss by a short margin.

Suddenly, however, you feel a sharp pain in your ears and feel blood dripping from them. You have an intense headache and eventually intense pain throughout your body and you get dizzy. Eventually, you recover, when you notice your hearing is better than before. Your ears and your head attached to them seem to be oddly shaped, compared to most people.

Go claw scientist 1 in the neck
[4]: You attempt to claw the scientist in the neck, but you miss by a wide angle... You charge again, but then you miss by an even wider angle.

You regenerate slightly.

Attack Infected Guard 1 with my appendages!
[2]: You charge the infected guard, but he bats you to the side as you get near and you miss wildly.

Suddenly, you get flashes of things you're never seen before, mostly consisting of dirt, but also some images of parts of trees... there's also the distinct taste of unknown sap in your mouth for a second... Very odd, very foreign.

Quote from: Infected Scientist 1
Predictable lady needs to be kicked until she knows her place.
[8]: He kicks Felicia in the face again, but it does no damage. It's basically but a tap.

At least he regenerates some health and makes Sarrak's attack utterly ineffectual. So that's something.

Quote from: Infected Scientist 4
Starn, stop ignoring me or I'll eat you!
[9]: Well, she certainly tries. She charges Starn and extreme speed and Starn just barely avoids her. But he still avoids her, and that's all that matters.

She continues her regenhax.

Quote from: Infected Guard 1
Time to shoot Starn.
[16]: Starn, being so aggressive towards the guard, unsurprisingly suddenly finds the guard firing at him and, indeed, scoring several hits on his chest and arms, causing damage that punctures through the scales. Feel the pain, Blazing, of the only person this turn who rolled good (and no, the 11 by Sarrak doesn't count as "good")!

Spoiler: TamerVirus-Jimbo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lenglon-Erin (click to show/hide)

Hostiles:
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Guard 1 (click to show/hide)

Relating to location and the building you are in:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:13:11 am by Tarran »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 08, 2014, 04:15:22 am »

Keep attacking the Guard! With my appendages, obviously.
For reference, from now on if I don't specify what I attack with, assume I chose my appendages.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

blazing glory

« Reply #398 on: August 08, 2014, 04:19:11 am »

As scientist 4 is going by,grab her arm/body and alter her course to charge into the guard.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:39 am »

Scientist 1 must die. While pretending to strike him with my baton, I actually sting him with my tail from behind.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 08, 2014, 05:41:03 am »

A change of tactics is needed!

Stomp with BOTH FEET! Hahahah! That Infected Guard 1 will surely feel the pain now!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 08, 2014, 07:29:31 am »

Fine, attack scientist 1's blood and flesh filled chest with my sharp claws
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:39 am »

Snap scientist 1 neck with tentacles.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 08, 2014, 08:17:00 am »

such that if necessary I could even functionally fight an enemy behind me without ever looking at them,
Like I mentioned, mechanically pointless because it's assumed that characters are looking around. The only point where it would make a difference is in sneak attacks against you, which I'm not sure how I'm going to handle them in the first place yet.

or even multiple ones at once with signifigantly reduced penalties since I'd know what they're doing without actually seeing it.
I'm probably not going to let players attack multiple enemies at once unless they get explosives. As for defensive, I don't recall giving characters penalties to defense from being attacked by multiple enemies nor do I think I will ever introduce such things.
((I'm a crueler/harsher GM than you are. I assume such modifiers exist by default.))

"Stop. Shooting. People!"
Attempt to circle around behind Infected Guard 1 and taze him!

Wade Wilson

• Bay Watcher
  • My common sense is Tingling
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 11, 2014, 03:01:32 pm »

continue my search for medical supplies
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35