Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 775420 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #450 on: July 10, 2014, 10:43:34 am »

Version multilevel-3.20 fixes mapshot command on Windows, and nextgen-4.18 just contains many improvements for that branch.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:17 am »

Since this isn't a part of dfhack, is there a way to make it work with DF2014?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:20 am »

While it's not a part of the stem development, it's still a DFHack plugin. We must wait until the memory structures are recharted.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2014, 11:02:47 am »

Can you make it possible to have a separate font on the minimap and/or the world map (Worldgen, embark, etc.)?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #454 on: July 10, 2014, 05:03:05 pm »

That's fantastic (and I'm really glad you got the shadows working, they help A LOT).
This is the slopes graphics I'm hoping to use BTW http://goblinart.pl/files/DF/slopes.jpg

Can you explain a bit about this image?

You know, while trying to make a mock-up of this system in use, I realized it wouldn't work! Back to the drawing board...

EDIT: okay, here we go.

Now I do realize this is a bit of a huge change from what the DF display is currently about, but I also believe it makes the terrain display much clearer.
Apart from your typical occlusion, here's what needs to be done (most of it by the tileset maker):
-flat ground needs to be kept around 75% brightness
-ramps facing south need to be at 100% brightness
-ramps facing west and east - 40% and 60% (could both be 50% but it's better to differentiate)
-ramps facing north - 25%

In the following rant, I'm only talking about terrain (ground, ramps, walls, constructions etc.). Objects and creatures are a completely different subject.

I believe it's a huge distraction right now that neighbouring flat ground tiles can vary in brightness greatly. Now that we're nearing full graphics support (thanks to you and Warmist), it is imperative that both brightness and saturation are taken into account to help differentiate between flat ground, ramps and walls.
While the material (and the presence of grass) can currently GREATLY influence the brightness of a tile, I believe they should be kept close to the values listed above.

Here's my proposal on a partial set of grassy ramp icons + the normal flat ground in the middle (some additional ramp icons might be necessary for the more complex "ramp neighbourhood" situations).

It doesn't include any special graphics, the only thing that changes is the brightness (value) of the texture. But in the mockup above you can see that it provides a very clear representation of the terrain.

Creature and object icons are a bit of a problem with this, because the ground beneath them doesn't get displayed. For that reason, their tile background should be kept close to the flat ground brightness - see: http://goblinart.pl/upload/mockup3.jpg
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:04:10 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #455 on: July 10, 2014, 06:06:44 pm »

I'll carefully read your message and possibly will try to implement it, but the first thing that comes to my mind (well came a while ago when I was going to replace standard ramp tiles with something) is that sometimes there might be no slope at the edge. So if we use shaded slopes that don't require additional shadows and definitely need to draw a shadow when there's no slope, how will it look?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #456 on: July 10, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »

Can you make it possible to have a separate font on the minimap and/or the world map (Worldgen, embark, etc.)?

I can. It mostly depends on whether anyone is going to make all these separate fonts, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #457 on: July 10, 2014, 06:32:33 pm »

I'll carefully read your message and possibly will try to implement it, but the first thing that comes to my mind (well came a while ago when I was going to replace standard ramp tiles with something) is that sometimes there might be no slope at the edge. So if we use shaded slopes that don't require additional shadows and definitely need to draw a shadow when there's no slope, how will it look?

I actually believe shaded slopes require shadows too! In the mockup above, I think they help a lot to show different layers.
I'll do another mockup of the problem you're describing, we'll see how it looks.
<3

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #458 on: July 10, 2014, 06:33:28 pm »

I can. It mostly depends on whether anyone is going to make all these separate fonts, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I'm willing to do it, but only once everything is done for the main dwarf mode. So, a song of distant future.
<3

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »

I can't speak for actually making these, but it would be a pretty amazing touch if it were possible and someone made it. Either way this project is already hands-down my favorite community DF addon.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #460 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »

I can't speak for actually making these, but it would be a pretty amazing touch if it were possible and someone made it. Either way this project is already hands-down my favorite community DF addon.

Which version do you use? Any issues?

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 10, 2014, 09:55:35 pm »

Which version do you use? Any issues?

I used the version included in Masterwork for a bit, I hadn't had any issues but I haven't had much time to play lately. I'll likely put more time into it once DF2014 has stabilized a bit.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 11, 2014, 01:41:18 am »

That's fantastic (and I'm really glad you got the shadows working, they help A LOT).
This is the slopes graphics I'm hoping to use BTW http://goblinart.pl/files/DF/slopes.jpg

Can you explain a bit about this image?

You know, while trying to make a mock-up of this system in use, I realized it wouldn't work! Back to the drawing board...

Now I do realize this is a bit of a huge change from what the DF display is currently about, but I also believe it makes the terrain display much clearer.
Apart from your typical occlusion, here's what needs to be done (most of it by the tileset maker):
-flat ground needs to be kept around 75% brightness
-ramps facing south need to be at 100% brightness
-ramps facing west and east - 40% and 60% (could both be 50% but it's better to differentiate)
-ramps facing north - 25%

In the following rant, I'm only talking about terrain (ground, ramps, walls, constructions etc.). Objects and creatures are a completely different subject.

I believe it's a huge distraction right now that neighbouring flat ground tiles can vary in brightness greatly. Now that we're nearing full graphics support (thanks to you and Warmist), it is imperative that both brightness and saturation are taken into account to help differentiate between flat ground, ramps and walls.
While the material (and the presence of grass) can currently GREATLY influence the brightness of a tile, I believe they should be kept close to the values listed above.

Here's my proposal on a partial set of grassy ramp icons + the normal flat ground in the middle (some additional ramp icons might be necessary for the more complex "ramp neighbourhood" situations).

It doesn't include any special graphics, the only thing that changes is the brightness (value) of the texture. But in the mockup above you can see that it provides a very clear representation of the terrain.

Creature and object icons are a bit of a problem with this, because the ground beneath them doesn't get displayed. For that reason, their tile background should be kept close to the flat ground brightness - see: http://goblinart.pl/upload/mockup3.jpg

This really looks like the kind of thing that would probably best be done with an actual 3d visualizer.

I'll get back to you on that.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:42 am »

Does the nextgen branch work on windows with dfhack-r5?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #464 on: July 11, 2014, 03:37:00 am »

Does the nextgen branch work on windows with dfhack-r5?

Yes, works for me.
dwarfmonitor plugin may crash the game though, haven't looked yet what happened to it in r5.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 185