Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 773594 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #465 on: July 11, 2014, 03:51:14 am »

This really looks like the kind of thing that would probably best be done with an actual 3d visualizer.
I'll get back to you on that.

It probably would, but will that help us in making it work as part of the main DF display?
<3

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #466 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:09 am »

Version multilevel-3.24 got commands to adjust fog and shadow parameters.
Version nextgen-4.22 got the same, plus a command to adjust map tile size.
See readme for details.

Multilevel branch will become the main branch tomorrow. In preparation for that, multilevel rendering is now disabled by default, use `multilevel <0-15>` command to enable it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09:01 am »

If I'm reading what Mike said correctly (which is not at all a given), he's envisioning eight or so tiles in the tileset to draw all of these ramps.  Since these are all just shadings, wouldn't it be simpler to just put in a "ground" tile and shade it?

This could be handled as a single override entry, a "flat ground" type character that picks up the colors of the underlying ramp and gets shaded as Mike illustrated.  There are a couple more possibilities that need to be handled as well like single-tile pits.

I can also see a gradient that smoothly goes from the upper level's brightness to the lower level's brightness.

If the override is not present, then just go with the up and down ramps in the tileset.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:16 am »

This really looks like the kind of thing that would probably best be done with an actual 3d visualizer.
I'll get back to you on that.

It probably would, but will that help us in making it work as part of the main DF display?

That's the plan, yes.

[EDIT] Actually, to clarify, most likely the DF screen would be sent over to the visualizer, and merged there, so you play DF from the visualizer directly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:45:09 am by Japa »

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 11, 2014, 12:14:22 pm »

How I can get multi-level view? Plz help, I've searched through entire thread and didn't get it. Any step-by-step guides?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #470 on: July 11, 2014, 04:46:09 pm »

Dirst, Japa: oh, in that case, yeah, sure! If stuff like in-game shading (2d or 3d) of tiles can be done, then that will obviously be the much simpler way.
<3

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:08 pm »

How I can get multi-level view? Plz help, I've searched through entire thread and didn't get it. Any step-by-step guides?

Here's what I did (Windows 8.1 x64)

* Used DF Starter Pack to set my graphics to [16x16] Phoebus 34.11v05 for TwbT
* Downloaded twbt-multilevel-3.24-win.zip from http://do1.mifki.com:8810/dashboard
* Extracted zip.
* Moved twbt.plug.dll from \dfhack-r5 to DF\hack\plugins
* Moved shadows.png from \ to \DF\data\art

Spoiler: result (click to show/hide)

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 12, 2014, 01:09:12 am »

Moved all files, but nothing. Also, it was said that the pack already includes this plugin.
Win 7 6.1. service pack 1.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #473 on: July 12, 2014, 01:57:53 am »

Moved all files, but nothing. Also, it was said that the pack already includes this plugin.
Win 7 6.1. service pack 1.

Any errors in red in the console when you start DF?
If you downloaded the latest package (3.24) you need to manually activate multilevel rendering by executing "multilevel 5" (or other number 1-15) in the console.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 12, 2014, 02:10:56 am »

Never used console before. What should I write and and where can I find these arrows?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #475 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:24 am »

Never used console before. What should I write and and where can I find these arrows?

Download twbt-multilevel-3.25-win.zip from http://build.mifki.com (I just made some fixes there) and install the plugin, make sure you install the correct version for your dfhack release.

Then, when you launch DF, two windows will open - one for the game, and another with some text - it's the console.
Check if there any errors in red colour in the console. Then, load a game, go to some area where multiple levels should be visible, and in the console window write "multilevel 5" (without quotes) and press Enter.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 12, 2014, 02:53:14 am »

Ahh, dfhack console, I thought you were talking about some kind of in-game console. I will try it as soon as I get to my pc.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #477 on: July 12, 2014, 09:41:32 am »

So, "multilevel" branch has now became the main branch. Please note that multilevel rendering is not enabled by default now. And in general check the readme file:)

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 12, 2014, 10:49:26 am »

To be clear, this doesn't work for v 40.xx yet, right (because it needs dfhack)?

One big improvement for adventurer mode multi-level would be not rendering 10 levels below you, but 5 below and 5 above, or whatever you end up configuring. Don't know if that's feasible but it would make navigating hilly regions a much better experience.

Another huge improvement would be in using any of the look/view/query/talk/target type commands, where if there is nothing under the cursor on the current Z-level, it checks if there is anything to interact with below the Z-level that the view is on. So for instance I could view what equipment some approaching goblins have without having to jump my view down 5 levels.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #479 on: July 12, 2014, 10:57:58 am »

To be clear, this doesn't work for v 40.xx yet, right (because it needs dfhack)?

One big improvement for adventurer mode multi-level would be not rendering 10 levels below you, but 5 below and 5 above, or whatever you end up configuring. Don't know if that's feasible but it would make navigating hilly regions a much better experience.

Another huge improvement would be in using any of the look/view/query/talk/target type commands, where if there is nothing under the cursor on the current Z-level, it checks if there is anything to interact with below the Z-level that the view is on. So for instance I could view what equipment some approaching goblins have without having to jump my view down 5 levels.

Right.

Well, it doesn't support multilevel in adv mode at all currently, when I'll work on it, I'll keep your idea in mind.

I was thinking about this too, but I'm not sure it's possible to do.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 185