Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 82335 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2014, 06:56:53 am »

I'd make catapult ammo with ProjectileExpansion. When they hit something, you get a cloud of gas. It works, I tested that, can probably find the raws if you want. Its a new thing, AoE ammo for catapults, makes people use the manual aiming more, and doesnt start fires. (unlike the exploding/fire ammo)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »

The non-playable races too now that I think about it, but that would be a bigger project.

Yep, well at the rate things are going these days it will be enough work to keep up with the playable races ;) 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2014, 04:48:28 pm »

Progress report - may update over the weekend

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »

Gnome Labor Cell: Power Armor Workshop

Requires some form of tool kit (either gnomish ones or a generic one I'd guess,) and a gnome captive, as well as a firesafe block and an anvil to build (to heat metal sheets, provide a solid place to put in rivets, stuff like that.)
Requires power to operate.
Uses Engineering or maybe armoring to run reactions and determine quality.
Produces "Ramshackle steamarmor," or some variation thereoff which provides benefits similar to regular gnomish steam armor if I'm guessing right, but the effects are less pronounced and its not nearly as protective, representing the gnome deliberately making sub-par equipment for his captors; not that the orcs would notice, since any gnome armor they've gotten their hands on probably comes in "mangled-bits-of-wreckage" format.

May also possibly be usable to make gnomish robotic pets, though they'd require some special tool taken from gnomish workshops in raids.

It'd be very useful for snaga and dreamwalkers, giving them physical abilities comparable to above average common orcs/corsairs and giving common orcs/corsairs physical abilities on par with an above average uruk. Uruks/Ronin and Ologs, being the huge brutes they are, wouldn't gain benefits from it since they're already the superior castes (sort of anyway, for the ologs...) due to thier size and their likely general sense of superiority.

After all, only weak orcs need fancy outlander gizmos to make themselves strong!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2014, 06:10:49 pm »

Wait, what's so special about ronin again, I read their descriptions but they don't give enough information.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:36 pm »

Wait, what's so special about ronin again, I read their descriptions but they don't give enough information.

Clanless(?) wandering uruks who have bonuses to what would be considered martial skills of the samurai: Archery and swordsmanship. In contrast, regular uruks are less specialized and don't learn those skills any faster than other orcs (if I'm not mistaken.)

Likewise, Corsairs are common orcs with natural affinity for firearms, engineering/siege engine use, and appraisal.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 04, 2014, 07:28:38 pm »

They also have over-the-top physical attributes (str/agi/tough/recup), even more so than a regular Uruk.

I dunno, I think the description has about the right amount of information.  The defaults are like, "A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry." and "A medium-sized highly social mammalian carnivore. It has a keen sense of smell. It can be trained to obey commands."  It's just a descriptive sentence, not a stat sheet :)

creature_orcfort_taigaorc.txt(1030): [CASTE:RONIN_MALE]
creature_orcfort_taigaorc.txt(1052): [CASTE:RONIN_FEMALE]
Found 2 occurrence(s) in 1 file(s)

Kbarbarossa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 04, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to retrofit the Steamfoundry to require Gnomish ingenuity; toolkits, captives, blueprint and the like. I think it would fit the theme better. The Orcs may be resourceful, but I don't think they developed high-tech stuff THAT quickly. Alternatively, requiring components you only get from Gnome raids could also be a good incentive to raid them. Steal Gnome gizmos = Get cool gadgets. You could of course use moth methods. Just my two cents, it seems like it would be a good way to implement the Gnomes in Orc mode.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2014, 11:46:48 pm »

Yes i am thinking this through too.  I'm leaning towards using one or two of the gnomish tech widgets to lock out the highest tech stuff at Steamfoundry and Heavy Weapons Laboratory.  Then you can either get the widgets by raiding, or have a captured gnome laborer craft them from local materials.

On the other hand, Cosmic Gear.  If all that's standing between orcish longboats and all other points in space-time are a couple of pointy-hatted munchkins, I'm thinking XCOM HQ is about to have a very bad day ^^ (mostly kidding)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:49:10 pm by smakemupagus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2014, 01:03:41 am »

...Is it possible for us to mod such a workshop and create creatures to respond to the raids? Maybe use creatures from other, more 'futuristic' or full-conversion mods? Because space-time raiding orcs is probably one of the most awesome things I've ever heard of.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2014, 04:43:23 am »

maybe? off the top of my head;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorta crazy, but maybe not so much crazier than the arenas/summoning circles that other races have.  Personally I find the concept kind of delightful because it reminds me of steampunk space-fantasy like in the heyday of old M&M and Wizardry.  But I know this wouldn't be, like, universally popular.  Well, I think that Meph is giving us GUI toggle buttons sometime soon :)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #251 on: October 05, 2014, 04:55:09 am »

and this is when LOTR turns into HALO
(snip)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 05, 2014, 05:23:10 am »

I'm being only half serious anyway, but it's hardly the 1st Age on Arda in MDF.  Ion guns, laser pistol**, kinetic strike module*, diodes, capacitors, shock baton, powered armor, automatons, and cosmic gear are all already in full effect.

** exists, but mood only and doesn't fire, i think
* ITEM_WEAPON_KNUCKLE_DUSTER_UPGRADE_TWO.  Perhaps more powerful than a KSM actually ;)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #253 on: October 05, 2014, 05:38:13 am »

I sent the weakest snaga in the fort out with a steel knuckle-duster to dispapear in a ball of blood attack a dark strangler siege. The snaga won and got himself the name... The Whirling fist.

Moral of the story: Knuckle dusters arent actually what they appear to be. They have the power to deal heaps of damage. They are actually a giant machine akin to a handheld battering ram. A knuckle duster consists of a piston that pushes outward at supersonic speed, and the resounding supersonic boom is what does the separating of limbs
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 05, 2014, 06:08:21 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ADAMANTINE DAIKATANAS FOR ALL THE URUKS. PRAISE THE MOUNTAINHOME LOOT FOR IT'S GOODIES AND THE KOBOLD TRICKSTER HUT FOR THE ASSAULT PLANS. MAY ALL CREATION TREMBLE IN FEAR.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46