Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Harvestcoast - A new, smelly surprise around every corner [Turn 9 complete!]  (Read 41410 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Harvestcoast - Troll has reverted to a wild state! [Turn 7 complete!]
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

Can i get dorfed as Lord_lemonpie, preferably a Ranger/hunter/animal trainer :3. I love this fort and the art is gorgeous!

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2014, 07:06:35 am »

how's the turn going,sensei?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 05, 2014, 08:32:22 am »

I was about to say it's only been a couple days since we heard from her and then holy balls it's been a week. You alright, sensei? If you can't finish the turn, you can upload the save as is. Torgue should be back in the next day or so so he should be free to take over.
くコ:彡

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 05, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

I'd like a turn if you are still accepting applicants  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 05, 2014, 02:45:09 pm »

I was about to say it's only been a couple days since we heard from her and then holy balls it's been a week. You alright, sensei? If you can't finish the turn, you can upload the save as is. Torgue should be back in the next day or so so he should be free to take over.

Yep, I'm back now as a matter of fact.

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 05, 2014, 09:06:46 pm »

Can i get dorfed as Lord_lemonpie, preferably a Ranger/hunter/animal trainer :3. I love this fort and the art is gorgeous!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know if I've ever seen the 'doesn't feel effective in life' personality trait so congrats on the hardcore hopelessness I guess.

---

2nd Limestone, 158

Autumn started with a mechanic running around and screaming for rocks and other assorted things after kicking everyone out of one of the mechanic's shops. We'll see.

22nd Limestone, 158

It's been a slow month, so far. The mechanic stood outside our tanner's shop for about ten days screaming for leather, but we butchered a stray cat and it appeased him and now he's running around collecting gems or something. Maybe I helped streamline this place, you know? Help with the madness. Made it a more smoothly running machine.

Zaerosz caught me when I was going to my room after working on engraving the dining room today. "There's something you need to know." He said. I tried to be hopeful, I really did.

"What?"

He began raving about how we should catch and train (and breed, ew) fire imps. I just walked away. This place isn't any less nuts, it's just been quiet for a bit.

Limestone 28th, 158

"The Lacy Whims", eh? I checked and yep, the mechanic who made these mechanisms is a widow with a long-dead husband. Um... ew.

Oh well. Got another legendary mechanic. The rest isn't any of *my* business.

Sandstone 5th, 158

I saw it coming from a mile away, today. I was standing at the end of one of the hallways when I saw Zaerosz powerwalk towards me like a man on a mission. I steeled my resolve and told myself that today it ended. So when he got closer to me, I cut him off.

"Zaerosz. I'm trying to find the damn cave wheat seeds that you farmers have lost. I'm doing important overseer things, and I really don't have time for your inane reports about creatures in cages forgetting how to do backflips or whatever it is you're training the trolls to do. I guess you don't remember this, but running the fortress requires time, energy, and  I'm tired of you treating me like a soundboard for your silly dreams of taming weaselmen or whatever it is you'd wish we do!"

He looked at me kind of stunned. I felt kind of stunned. Since when do I go on monologues about what people are doing wrong? Being overseer has changed me.

"Uh, I think you really want to know about this." I sighed. "What is it?"

I blinked. I did want to know about that.

"Show me to the pasture, please."

I had never been to the pasture before. Apparently, someone used an iron drawbridge as a barrier when they set up, pulled the lever up, and it's been sealed off since before my year started. Zaerosz tried to show me which lever controlled the bridge but I have a strict no-lever policy so I had the miners carve out a little tunnel through the soil for direct access.

We didn't really have all that much of interest in there, other then a giant flying squirrel, a lynx missing a leg, and the cave crawler and her two newborns. I thought about asked how Zaerosz knew about her giving birth, but I decided I didn't want to know.

"You know, Zaerosz. Both those babies are female. If we keep breeding them with the goblin crawlers in the cages, we could a full-fledged voracious cave crawler army. And meat industry." He nodded.

"Which, I believe, exotic animal meats were the intended export of this fort from the beginning." He also nodded.

Well damn.

He cleared his throat while I was pondering that. "Do...you really not want to know when the trolls losing their training?"

I sighed.

Sandstone 8th, 158

Apparently, not just one, but a total of four freaking kobold thieves got past our guard dogs watching the entrance to our fortress. Dhoor killed one. The rest of them ran away.

Sandstone 18th, 158

Someone ran up to me and told me there was a ghost kid standing near the trade depot.

Surprisingly enough, there was.

I had a memorial carved out and before too long the child was put to rest.

Timber 15th, 158

Caravan showed up.

So did goblins. They kill one of our planters that was going to chain up a dog. We kill...all of them.

Or, I thought we killed all of them. Apparently the path leading into our tower is wide open - and a bowman found his way inside.

He shoots a rabbit...

...and the predictable happens to him.

Then something weird happens.

Apparently, one of our hunters got pissed off for such amazing reasons like having flies around her and having to go outside, and decides to suckerpunch one of our macelords hard enough to kill him. My husband is now the only dwarf left in his squad.

And proceeds to go and report her crime to the mayor. Well, at least she's honest...

In other news, I trade for a bunch of clothes, wood, a few steel boots for our military, and a bunch of leather and cloth from our military.

A snatcher tries to sneak in while all of this is going on...and Beirus discovers him.

Yep.

Timber 28th, 158

One of our cooks decided to beat the stuffing out of the suckerpunching hunter. He's still alive, last I checked, but not too many tears were shed over this incident.

Moonstone 1st, 158

---

I'd like to say I was super busy and had a bunch of stuff going on, but honestly I just kept forgetting about this. uh, oops.

Caravan's still here if you wanna buy more stuff. I didn't buy all the cloth they had, and I don't think I got to the pants or the food. 's up to you I guess. Most of the job orders are still cleared out - should just be two or three nearly completed orders, so ball's in your court. We still need a bunch of clothes.

Other then that, we ran out of flex stones about halfway through Timber and I didn't get around to seeing if we had any more to mine out before the caravan came.

Still have plenty of legendary military dwarves, but it might not be a bad idea to train some more. A couple of the squads have only one dwarf remaining.

Other then that, the fort keeps ticking. I'd keep breeding VCC's, and maybe before too long we can start using them as warbeasts, as well as butchering them for their super valuable meat n' stuff.

I tried to label/document the few levers I put up. I didn't touch any out of principal the entire year...and then realized they were all very neatly labeled and they just weren't in a place I was looking. Uh. Oops. Again.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9307 is the save. I'd like to finish, but it would probably not be until the end of the week and honestly I've made you guys wait long enough.

I'll keep my challenge singular - Make it so every military dwarf has at least one VCC warbeast to his/her own. May our giant blue-haired earthworms bathe in the blood of humans and goblins alike.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:50 am »

Zaerosz' Journal, 31st Timber

Ms. Shade is retiring early, it seems. The stresses of running the fort may have taken their toll more than I expected, and I can't say I didn't contribute to that. I hear tell the next overseer is a somewhat unremarkable fellow named Torgue; particularly unremarkable, in fact, if I've never even heard of him. Perhaps this change in leadership could be useful to me... if I can get in good with Torgue, I can try and steer this fort back to what it was intended for. And then the following year, if I could get Escondida to step up to the responsibility, every one of the founders (those of any significance, anyway) will have spent some time running the fort, and I could perhaps turn that to my advantage. Yes, I think this is coming together nicely.

Also, note to self: get Torgue to set traps for fire imps and magma crabs. Metal cages only.

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2014, 09:17:18 am »

Ok, got the save but I probably won't be able to knock out an update today.  Expect it either tomorrow or Friday.

Journal of Torgue, Engineer OVERSEER?

So, my dear diary, I have been planning.  Ever since someone made that weird-ass scepter thing, I have had... visions.  Terrible hallucinations have wrought my dreams.  I fear I may have gone mad, but they were so REAL.  I must continue.  I will--

(The page appears torn, as if the diary was hurriedly put away without consideration)

Whew.  Sorry bout that.  Some guy barged in like he owned the place (what was his name?  Zeros? Ziroez?) and I had to hide you.  They must not know, they must NOT KNOW, not yet!  He said the acting overseer, some weirdo by the name of sensei_shade (must be some form of new-age hippie name) couldn't take the pressure and stepped down.  What a pansy.  Anyway, Zeriez said that the overseer left me in charge for some reason.  ME! MEEE!!.  This is an unprecedented boon!  This means the fortress must follow my orders!  MINE!  The project will proceed, far quicker than I had ever thought imaginable.

But, it cannot proceed yet.  Zarost spoke about "paperwork."  That damn word was the reason I came out here, to escape the mindless monotony.  Oh well.  Maybe I can sneak some stuff in there about spears...

Also, Zearsoz wants metal cages for some reason.  I didn't ask any questions, I don't want to know.

EDIT:  Ok, the Liason came asking to elevate us to (I think) a barony again.  Who wants to be the lucky one this time?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:16:02 pm by Torgue »

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

Well,since everyone has posted a journal at least once,i guess i might as well give it a try

Crazyduck's diary

Granite 18,158

Oh,my.Things sure are going dark the last few years.First Houn kills herself(or so they say,she never looked suicidal to me) shortly after she became a baroness(i still don't understand what happened to the liaison that visited me),then the Armok damned goblins launch their biggest assault yet,and now Osha breaks into the lower levels and kills five dwarves.Well,at least we killed the damned dinosaur.I heard a cook saying that we will be eating for months,but i really hope he was joking.I wonder if this tragedy could have been avoided by better armor...but then again,they said that the beast did not kill by tearing them,instead he breathed a toxic venom that caused their flesh to rot...ewww,i'd better not think about it very much,i'd like my Plump Helmet roast and my beer to stay in place.

Felsite 20,158

I keep working on the forges as usual,and i keep getting better and better at armorsmithing.But my infection from that goblin ambush is making it difficult.I still have nightmares about that day,and it still hurts me every time i get winded.But hey,the doctors say that it won't be life threatening.It has not improved,it still stnks and looks awful,but it won't kill me.Probably.I hope so.

17 Hematite,158

That was an...interesting day.Benev came to me at the forges and asked me if i wanted to join his religion,the followers of Capital.I don't know,he was attacked in the same ambush that i got my wound.I think he lost a little bit too much blood...That and his love for Louse Men.And i believe these silly houses we are constructing on the surface were his idea too.I admit i didn't pay much attention to him,because i was working on a helmet,so i just told him i would think about it,and then i turned...merciless Armok,he was butt naked!I wonder how comes nobody told him to get dressed yet.I shouted at him to at least wear some underwear,but he didn't hear me.I mean, there are kids around!There are enough goblin snatchers to traumatize them,they don't need that too...

I reported it to sensei-shade and fortunately she managed to convince him to at least put a pair of pants.

Moonstone 2nd,158

Hah,that's where i put my diary!Who would have thought a thick layer of dust and a tattered dress would be enough to hide it for months?I really got to tidy up...

Anyway,something strange happened yesterday.Sensei-shade stepped down earlier than expected.She did not say the reasons,so i guess the stress of running the place was just too much for her.The new overseer is a fellow named Torgue.Well,best of lucks to him.

Also,another liaison came to elevate us to barony.For the third time.I wonder what happened to the first two Liasons...I just hope Torgue doesn't pick me...I have enough to worry about already.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2014, 05:24:00 pm »

"Well, after the unfortunate demise of the first baroness last year, our Queen felt it was prudent to offer the position anew, and your outpost has certainly thrived moreso than many others..."

Zaerosz merely gave the liaison a hard stare over the top of his mug of beer. "I see. I'm just making sure, you see."

The liaison raised an eyebrow questioningly. "I'm... sorry, was something unclear?"

Staring for a few moments longer, Zaerosz suddenly drained his mug and slammed it down on the table. "I was appointed as baron in the year 153. The following year, another liaison shows up with the caravan and offers Houn the title. So tell me, royal pawn..."

He leaned in, gaze cold and unforgiving. "Why was my authority rejected, sir Gébarcatten?"

The diplomat glared back unflinchingly, slowly standing up from the table. "Our Queen's loyal court has determined you unfit for leadership and unworthy of nobility, given your brazen attempt at desertion and your... downright elven sensibilities." He smiled; a small, disgusted smile. "A seaside cottage? Really? You are a disgrace upon our good name, mister Zaerosz. Now if you don't mind, I have business to attend to. I believe the new overseer is an engineer?"

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2014, 06:39:25 pm »

Diary of Torgue, 7th Moonstone 158

The more and more I look around this place, the more and more I think the previous overseer was... less than observant.  For instance, the bedroom situation is simply unacceptable.  I wandered around to get a feel, and what I saw was a bunch of dark, empty rooms with rough walls and no cabinets or chests.  I even found a dog skeleton in one of them!  Not to mention the goblin skeleton lying in the barracks.

Needless to say, this is being rectified.  Also diary, for some reason these guys want me to place "updates" on the fort's message board.  Why?  These are MY private thoughts and NO ONE ELSE's!

Alas, to get them to follow me I must abide by their silly rules.

Sensei, I'm only picking on you because my character is a bit out of whack (in case you hadn't noticed).  I don't mean it, honestly. ;)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »

~-~ From the diary of Uzol "Escondida" Estilvucar ~-~
If you are reading this, you are already infected with a very dangerous strain of forgotten beast sickness. Please report immediately to the hospital for treatment and then to the the Hammerer for amnestics.

Eight years. By Moldath, has it been eight years? Eight years of hauling. Eight years of engraving dull municipal histories. Eight years stolen from my research, and all because one overseer decided my work wasn't important enough---or was too dangerous---to continue. When I came here, I thought I would be free to pursue my work in peace, away from the closed-minded fools in the Mountainhomes, but what have I done instead? Kept my head down and smiled nicely for the crazy militia each overseer has just barely been able to keep in check.

Why should I, one of the greatest living bioengineers, be reduced to these menial tasks? Once, I understood the implications of quantum simultanaety and could raise a bridge across incredible distances using nothing but a few chunks of stone crafted into a crude lever. Once, I helped to create incredible new plant life. But because of the stigma attached to biological and quantum research thanks to the lax security on the invasive species wing at Hilltriumphs, here I am, hauling rocks, carving the results of every inane election into the Stone, and wasting my life.

O Dolek, god of storms, there is a storm coming and I will be at its fore. It is time for the shortsighted, decadent nobility to learn a lesson. Even here in this city that was once a retreat from the world, we are ruled by the arbitrary whims of the aristocracy and, of course, the Overseers--none of whom has managed to last more than a single year in the job.

When this new Overseer, Torgue, inevitably steps down at the end of this year, there will come a reckoning. Harvestcoast will be free once more.

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 06, 2014, 08:14:01 pm »

With a hundred babies plaguing the fortress, would anyone really care if I reduced the baby cap to stop these dwarves from breeding like rabbits, and to save my poor FPS from dropping any further?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »

Wow, you mean we haven't hit the cap yet? Go for it.

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2014, 10:05:02 pm »

Ok, the fort's FPS is abysmal to say the least, so it's probably going to be slow going for my year.  But, I figured I'd at least post a small update to give something to you guys.  Not too many pictures with this one, I don't think I even got to more than two weeks of ingame time.

Date:  Who knows, who cares?

Woo!  First day as overlordseer!  The project can continue without interruption.  In order to assert my influence acclimate myself with the fortress inhabitants, I decided to wander around.  My first stop was the dormitories.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

The "rooms" are little more than closets dug into the wall with nary a cabinet nor chest nor door in sight.  There was even a long decayed skeleton of a dog in one of them!  This is unacceptable.  I have ordered the walls to be smoothed and significant numbers of chests and cabinets built.

Speaking of which, I need better quarters for a person of my stature.  I will submit some blueprints to the miners later.

Not only was there the skeleton in the closet as it were, there were multiple bony piles left all over the fortress, from things such as goblins to dogs to Giant Echidnas in the pasture.  To find the root cause of this problem, I grabbed the nearest dwarf and ordered him to point me to the garbage dump.  In hindsight, it would have been quicker and less embarrassing had I grabbed his arm instead of his neck.

Just as I suspected, the landfill was completely full.  I'd rather not waste project labor digging out giant caverns solely for the detritus that befalls a fortress such as this one, so I have devised a simple contraption with a minecart to dump refuse down a pit. 

I decided to build it near the queen's future chambers.  I hope she understands.

Exploratory mining has revealed numerous veins of lignite and bituminous coal.  Excellent.  The project is going to need lots of that.

Date:  28th Moonstone 158

I heard screaming coming from the workshop area.  Grabbing the nearest dwarf, in the arm this time, I demanded calmly and politely asked just where the hell the damn workshops were.  She punched me in the face.  Hard.

Bleeding profusely from my nose, I fearlessly ran to the aid of whatever poor creature was getting murdered.  I tackled the perpetrator to the ground.  In my defense, he was running around wildly screaming something akin to, "I SEE YOU!  AHAHAA!"  It was about the time he started yelling something about gems, and kicked me in the groin, that I realized my mistake.  It was simply the trader undergoing a fey mood.

I quickly ran out of sight to hide my shame and crushed gonads and to keep the others from seeing my weakness.  They can't doubt me, not while the hour of judgement is at hand!

Staggering back through the workshops, I noticed the trader had completed his construction.

He seems pretty proud of it.  Claims it's worth 96000☼.

I see something in it that puts a feeling of dread in my stomach.  That damn scepter.  The one that started those dreams.  I pray that this will not make them worse.

Date:  5th Opal 158

OH DEAR ARMOK THEY ARE WORSE!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26