Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 977382 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10800 on: November 27, 2018, 06:00:43 pm »

I only know Cyanide through the blood bowl games.  They're fairly decent at, well, being blood bowl, but they really shill out half the game in DLCs or in the case of the first one, pulling a street fighter 2 and just making the game again but better.  With BB2 out I feel like my copy of the first game is basically worth nothing now, since the single player is basically garbo.  There's always FUMBBL but the interface is a little... intimidating?

I guess you could say the same about DOW 1 and its 3-4 expansions, but at least these days you just get all of them in one buy.  Shame they never made a sequel for it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10801 on: November 27, 2018, 07:34:50 pm »

Nah, the DoW expansions were legit expansions compared to Cyanide's shenanigans with BB. Winter Assault was a new faction and set of campaign missions. Dark Crusade practically was a standalone game, with a campaign wholly unlike vanilla DoW 1. And Soulstorm sucked but again, it was two? new factions and set of campaign missions. BB2 was basically a GotY edition of Bloodbowl 1, with some tweaks.

I told myself I wouldn't buy another Cyanide game because of it, and I held to that until I fucked it up last month by getting enamored with and buying the new Call of Cthulhu game. (Wanted to get spooped for Halloween, fell prey to the right release window.) Imagine my chagrin when I saw their logo on the loading screen. Shoulda checked my hype.

So yeah I won't run out to buy Space Hulk Whatever They're Calling It....unless the gameplay near release really, really convinces me. And still I'd be leery. Space Hulk: Ascension looked pretty damn good in videos, but at release it was exactly the kind of thing we're complaining about: mostly all fur coat and no knickers. That probably isn't fair to the Ascension devs, but it's clear they didn't have the money to make a bigger, better game. (Ascension being their "Wait, you hated the straight table top adaptation of Space Hulk, maybe this will please you!" offering.) And that's a shame because Ascension was only some thoughtful level and mission design away from being pretty damn good. It looked good, had some crunch and some gratuitous awesomeness that the table top adaptation wouldn't allow for. Unfortunately though it was still a cost-effective indie title, so gameplay ended up fairly one note, with the same essential mission over and over and over again, with the only real tweaks being an expansion of your squad's abilities and a few new enemies.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:53:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:27 pm »

I guess you could say the same about DOW 1 and its 3-4 expansions, but at least these days you just get all of them in one buy.  Shame they never made a sequel for it.

I know you're trying to be clever here, but DoW II did a lot of things right. It gave us Space Marine characters with actual personality instead of just memes and terrible voice acting, for one thing, and it actually felt like your little handful of power-armored dudes were superhuman in a way DoW I was a little too zoomed-out to convey. Also, Bluddflagg.

That's not to say it was a particularly good game, but it tried something new with the IP and I'd rather play an adventuresome near miss than all the carefully soulless schlock we have now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: November 27, 2018, 09:29:59 pm »

Time softened my opinion of DoW2. But it's basically where I lost interest in competitive multiplayer, and started considering 40k video games a solo affair.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: November 27, 2018, 09:43:35 pm »

Oh, the multiplayer was certainly the worst part. I just think it's notable that they actually tried to make a game built around Your Dudes, which is arguably the point of the setting, and they came as close as could reasonably be expected without trying to build IP QC-compliant emergent gameplay. I certainly remember Avitus/Cyrus/Tarkus/Thaddeus more than I do Indrick Boreale or Admiral Spire.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: November 27, 2018, 10:12:49 pm »

I had a similar experience.  It's certainly a different style a game, more like an action RPG than the original RTS.  But I enjoyed the mechanics all the same, and *really* enjoyed the story.  I bought (or preordered?) Chaos Rising and wasn't disappointed, replaying it at least 2 times.  On normal, because I'm a scrub, just to reexperience the story (:
And the end of the original, too.  I feel like it captures the horror of Tyrannids pretty well.  And the horror of Eldar.  A faction I like to fear.  Dammit, now I'm thinking about the opening cutscene again, so good.

And yet the opening of DoW 1 is basically what got me into Warhammer at all!  The combination of high tech, ""steampunk"" ork-tek, and

oh I just realized a common theme, Dreadnoughts are THE FREAKING BEST OMG
MUCH SAD
SO DESTROY

I was also very satisfied with Dark Crusade (I didn't notice Winter Assault launch).  Basically I came back to DoW1, having recited the memes for a few years and idly browsing 40K threads (Tau~) and Fantasy threads (wood elves <3) and coming back to find the game IMMENSELY improved, in every way.  The campaign, the factions available, even the graphics and gameplay were just... better.  That's something I like to support.

And that's why I gave DoW2 a chance, and it didn't disappoint me.  Retribution was... maybe a bit much talky, but that's what I *wanted*, it's not their fault they filled my cup overmuch.  That just means there's more there I want to see, when I feel the itch again.

Multiplayer was never a factor for me whatsoever, I know I'm awful at RTS.  I just like them for story.  I was sorta ecstatic when I was able to reliably beat Dark Crusade AI on 1-on-1 normal, on a certain map.  Even Necrons!  With me always as Space Marines, spamming scout marines with plasma.  That's the meta I found and I basically stuck with that (ramping up to terminators and fully-upgraded marines if necessary).

So, here's that DoW1 trailer that hooked me on Warhammer.  Fuck Slaanesh.  It's been a wild ride.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: November 27, 2018, 10:36:40 pm »

Oh, the multiplayer was certainly the worst part. I just think it's notable that they actually tried to make a game built around Your Dudes, which is arguably the point of the setting, and they came as close as could reasonably be expected without trying to build IP QC-compliant emergent gameplay. I certainly remember Avitus/Cyrus/Tarkus/Thaddeus more than I do Indrick Boreale or Admiral Spire.

Memerick Boreal is eternal.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: November 27, 2018, 11:20:00 pm »

Fuck Slaanesh.

But slaanesh wants you to do that.

I know you're trying to be clever here, but DoW II did a lot of things right. It gave us Space Marine characters with actual personality instead of just memes and terrible voice acting, for one thing, and it actually felt like your little handful of power-armored dudes were superhuman in a way DoW I was a little too zoomed-out to convey. Also, Bluddflagg.

That's not to say it was a particularly good game, but it tried something new with the IP and I'd rather play an adventuresome near miss than all the carefully soulless schlock we have now.

I am memeing a little hard, but I really prefer how 1 more-or-less matches the scale of the tabletop game.  And I dunno, like my 40k with a little ham and cheese.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: November 27, 2018, 11:40:25 pm »

Fuck Slaanesh.

But slaanesh wants you to do that.
And so I struggle, beneath Their gaze.
You might see why I appreciate venerate Slaanesh.  (Edit: And Eldar)
Even though I try to do all by keikaku.
And my living space is less than ideal.
And I love, above all, to see people argue amongst themselves-

But the energy of every sin can be turned towards an appropriate goodness.
Love without boundaries.
Planning and awareness.
Perseverance despite challenges.
Fighting for justice.

Some would claim that I am much under Slaanesh.
But it was never Slaanesh that was evil.
Quote from: Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"
Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.

The evil in me wanted to misattribute that quote to her later work, "We Must Dissent".  But I have Faith that truth wins the day.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:47:37 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10809 on: November 28, 2018, 06:12:43 am »

Isn't tzeentch the keikaku god?

I keep dreaming about this: Taros Campaign, The Game.

Blend Battlefleet Gothic Armada, Blitzkrieg, CoH, Total War/Paradox games, put it on the oven and let it rise till the space stategic map covers the whole system and the ground map covers the whole planet, cool it off with moldability and serve at taste with tons of money.

I imagine you get the call as Lord High Commander Otto Ivan Gustavus to prepare the attack, the first part of the game would be you spending a set amount of requisition (which varies with difficult) on selecting which regiments will compose your army and a bare minimum of space ships, also there could be "influence points" which could be used to request forces from other arms of the Imperium, extra Imperial Navy, SM, Mechanicus.... Random events in this stage could rise or low your requisition and influence, troops could be available immediately at the start of the game or not... and so forth.

After all that you make up the composition of your army and it's corps, and to strike the sand!

First the space strategic map, your ships arrive and you must do battle, (or not) until you reach Taros in the style of Armada if two fleets encounter. Then you land your troops and the land strategic map  unravels like those of paradox/total war. When armies collide you play it out with maps like Blitzkrieg and CoH.

Random events, enemy ships arriving, reinforcements arriving or not could make each gameplay different. You could try to emulate the campaign to the letter or you could try to do something way different. Choose another officers which would give other bonuses, other corps, more space marine companies, whatever you can....

Then you can play as the Tau too.

Finally add a scenario editor and introduce other races and factions and you got yourself the ultimate Warhammer 40k game that would put an end to all wars!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10810 on: November 28, 2018, 09:47:35 am »

Good luck.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: November 28, 2018, 11:00:01 am »

I honestly kind of like the idea of Warhammer Adventures in a twisted sort of way - it's such an odd concept you have to love it. They're proving me right with a Genestealer-focused book, which is like, not the first thing I'd adapt into a children's story. I guess it's important for kids to learn about the possibility of being stalked by alien horrors and having their horrid DNA injected into you so you can contribute to the downfall and devouring of your friends and family.

The Fantasy/AoS books they mention sound a bit more reasonable. Skaven are terrifying if you think about them, but there's plenty of humor and goofiness inherent to them. Elves are nice and well if you just ignore all the nasty stuff. Genestealers, though? These kids are going to be traumatized. I think AoS is probably a better fit for these books anyway.

Props for the designs, though. There's a servo-skull with a tricorn, which is exactly how I imagine Rogue Traders going around anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: November 28, 2018, 11:26:02 am »

The genestealers are competing with the predators over our autism DNA.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: November 28, 2018, 11:28:05 am »

what use would the nids have for nulls?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:10 pm »

does the shadow counter individual psykers? can they operate in any significant capacity as the swarm approaches?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 824