Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 968890 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1755 on: September 18, 2015, 11:32:34 am »

But you, me, and all of us know that it happens, A LOT. I mean, it's bound to happen so often that is good they leave it aside, otherwise it would be an deeply disturbing erotic series instead of being sci-fi & fanstasy.

The only mention of "rape" I can recall is what those disorder vacuum seamen did to some woman in order to them to give birth to more disorder vacuum seaman, and I think it wasn't even rape perse, but they basically became mutated living wombs or something, I don't know how they got pregnant and do not want to find out either.

Oh the thing Honsou did with the Daemonculaba, that was technically much worse than rape.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: September 18, 2015, 11:36:14 am »

It is one of the things I do appreciate about 40k, that there's not a lot of sex in the universe, the writing or the visuals. The Bondage Elves are about as a sexy as it gets for visuals, and Ciaphas Cain is about as sexy as it gets in the writing. (With Inquisition War and some Gaunt novels pulling a distant 2nd and 3rd.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1757 on: September 18, 2015, 11:38:06 am »

1. If you're talking about the Dais, those are generic slaves. Not even sure they're human.
2. 40k may be grimdark, but GW also keeps it pretty clean. I would see zero mention of rape anywhere in it and pretty much feel uncomfortable just by You saying it.
Of course they don't mention it explicitly same way DMs get past sex with fade to black to avoid magical realm; it's there though, you don't have space BDSM ninjas and slaanesh demons without rape

It is one of the things I do appreciate about 40k, that there's not a lot of sex in the universe, the writing or the visuals. The Bondage Elves are about as a sexy as it gets for visuals, and Ciaphas Cain is about as sexy as it gets in the writing. (With Inquisition War and some Gaunt novels pulling a distant 2nd and 3rd.)
The sex in those books is also referential, not exactly G.R.R.Mdark "I'll fuck ur mum" Martin

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1758 on: September 18, 2015, 11:40:48 am »

1. If you're talking about the Dais, those are generic slaves. Not even sure they're human.
2. 40k may be grimdark, but GW also keeps it pretty clean. I would see zero mention of rape anywhere in it and pretty much feel uncomfortable just by You saying it.
Of course they don't mention it explicitly same way DMs get past sex with fade to black to avoid magical realm; it's there though, you don't have space BDSM ninjas and slaanesh demons without rape

The sex in those books is also referential, not exactly G.R.R.Mdark "I'll fuck ur mum" Martin
Exactly. While it's not put in straight, because they aren't like that, it's heavily implied in many, many cases. Also WhFB is grimdark Dark Ages, you certainly can't expect that it's going to be safe place for women.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:41 pm »

Wasn't part of the Horus Heresy basically that the Emperor's Children raped most of Terra to death before turning their corpses into drugs and snorting them?

I mean, Slaanesh basically serves as the holding cell for all rape-related shit in 40k, which is why she isn't my favorite Chaos God (goddamn are Noise Marines awesome).

Also I think at least some people care about GW being sexist, Tack...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 18, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »

A lot of people seem to be happier exchanging theories as to why they're not.
Although Grim lampshaded it perfectly.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 18, 2015, 11:06:31 pm »

I just figure it's pointless to try and make a point of it or anything, since it's just immediately obvious. I like the fluff, I look for ways to make it work that aren't utterly sexist in and of themselves(which may contain 'The Imperium is a sexist place', but that fits with the setting being grimdark). Whether that means 'Space skellingtons are skellingtons; who knows how many Overlords are female, nothing says their society was patriarchal, maybe the Dragon is even feminine', or 'Why are we talking about tyranids and sexism again?', it's mostly a matter of '40% of Kriegs Corps regiments are actually sterile women who say that they're men because their society is fucked up so they're ashamed to be female without being able to reproduce and they wear so much shit no one could tell anyway'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 19, 2015, 12:39:23 am »

I'll go with "the Imperium isn't sexist, half of guardsmen are female but GW doesn't make female models because too hard to animate. "
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 19, 2015, 01:56:12 am »

Although why would female soldiers have long hair?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1764 on: September 19, 2015, 04:46:11 am »

Maybe the female guardswomen are here, but they're as ugly as men?
Speaking of Krieg - IIRC both women (those who aren't cloning vats) and men train (it was recalled by one of them that he meet women in training but has no idea what happened to them), but apparently only male regiments are produced. It might be that women are PDFs or just all turned into baby ovens, though then their training seems wasteful. Or maybe the Krieg does make female regiments but it's just too damn hard to know since usually you can't see a tiniest bit of body.

EDIT:
They are human, just not specific to any faction since they're for fantasy and 40k. Same hairstyle as Sisters though, I think GW just wasn't good at feminine hair at the time, they're a really old sculpt.
Proably. Still, the official page of "Dark Eldar Prisoners" shows at least one of them with Soronita mark. Also horrendously painted ABS.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:54:17 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 19, 2015, 04:56:21 am »

I'll go with "the Imperium isn't sexist, half of guardsmen are female but GW doesn't make female models because too hard to animate. "

GW makes animated miniatures now?

More seriously, I remember reading in Ciaphas Cain that apparently only 10% of the IG is female.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 19, 2015, 05:05:17 am »

These days they probably wouldn't, but in the past when things like faces were harder to sculpt it was an easy way to make a model look female when you couldn't manage a feminine face. The sisters of battle minis are a great example, their faces are really similar to the plastic guardsmen to the extent that you need to look for other cues for the intended gender, like hair and breasts and things.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 19, 2015, 07:59:55 am »

Also is simply logical. There is a good, no sexist reason for the why mostly or only men fougth (and keep fighting) wars historically.

Wars kill men, lots of them, and if you lose your woman too you lose the ability to grow your poulation back. Is not the inabitily of women to make good soldiers (they can be as every bit as good as any men) it's their overal importance to society that keep them away from most battlefields. In fact in a lot of cases their where expected to defend their homelands if the enemy somehow got there.

My guessing is that it happens exactly the same on WH 40k. Women are expected to.fight,  but also to have as many spare parts for the armies of men as possible, which is kind of hard if they are dead in an active battlefield. Of course every once in a while, or perhaps on regular basis a world would precind of some of its female population but it's really hard to see them pupmping whole woman regiments after regiments, hell even a 50/50 would be too high to sustain indefinitely.

Finally there's a good chance they are simply too ugly (because of reasons/training, whatever) and hence the models are there, whe just don't know it. How knows official GW position on that?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:02:27 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 19, 2015, 08:37:23 am »

Except that reasoning goes out the window with the Korps of Krieg - Barren women should be allowed to fight then, no?

OfC, IRL I remember being taught that one of the biggest deterrents to allowing female posting in the military was the morale factor.
For some reason the bigwigs thought that battlefield morale would be significantly deteriorated by seeing a woman trying to hold her steaming guts in rather than a man.

In other news: Playing Chapter Master - Had a Crusade get called. I was expected to lend men.
I, being a reasonable man, sent everything except my first and second companies.
Had about 50-60% casualties, not too bad. Take a look, and my scout company got hit the hardest.
The 30 men left in that company were the most hard-bitten, thousand-yard-stare, messed up 20yo's I had ever seen.
They all came back with Crux Terminatus. In fact, they were more experienced than most of my first company veterans, after this two year campaign.

I held a feast in their honor. They all sat and picked at their food, wishing they were training.
In the end I relented and posted them all as captains and company champions, respectively, of the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th companies.
Who had all lost theirs in the crusade.

WHAT HAPPENED OUT THERE.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1769 on: September 19, 2015, 08:40:40 am »

Except that reasoning goes out the window with the Korps of Krieg - Barren women should be allowed to fight then, no?
Nope. That's mutation and proably heresy. Krieg doesn't give a shit, if you aren't metting the conditions perfectly, you're used as shooting back shooting target for the actual Kriegers.

WHAT HAPPENED OUT THERE.
Grimdark happened out there.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 824