Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971737 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:32 am »

What about not-grim-dark-emotions and the Warp

They have a place. The fiction is rife with references to entities in the Warp that are not completely evil, slavering daemons thirsting for the suffering and misery of others. That they're birthed from different, more wholesome emotions.

IIRC the Eldar used to worship warp deities like these until Slannesh came into existence and butchered them all.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2014, 05:17:10 am »

What about not-grim-dark-emotions and the Warp

They have a place. The fiction is rife with references to entities in the Warp that are not completely evil, slavering daemons thirsting for the suffering and misery of others. That they're birthed from different, more wholesome emotions.

IIRC the Eldar used to worship warp deities like these until Slannesh came into existence and butchered them all.

Perhaps there were/are plenty of good warp entities being born, but once the baddies came around they started killing the nice(r) ones, so that now the only ones that remain are the ones that are inherently willing to destroy. Dunno, not entirely up to date on this subject.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Potentially good news everyone: in a small week yet another 40K game is supposed to come out!

Seems it's a turn based strategy affair. Hadn't heard about it before, but here's hoping it turns out alright.

You can find more details here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: new turn-based strategy game 'Armageddon'
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2014, 05:59:16 pm »

I've heard the name around, but I haven't played any games by Slitherine. Still, looking forward to hear how it plays. I really like the look of the display scale they used; higher up than like DoW2, but not so high up you can't appreciate the details. The models look little bit like they don't jive with the ground texture (kinda looks like cell-shaded models over a different style of terrain) but that's a small quibble. How it all looks when it's moving is what's really important.

(Man, so many 40k games out or in the works! Armageddon, Mordheim, Eternal Crusade, Space Hulk Ascension.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:01:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:09 pm »

I've played one game from Slitherine, and it was flawed but enjoyable. However that was a real-time tactics game, whereas this is a hex-based tactics game of which Slitherine seems to have produced a lot of. As such I expect it to be polished but slow-paced and somewhat esoteric. In other words perfect for people who enjoy the tabletop game. :P

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2014, 06:30:37 pm »

Like a combination of Rites of War and Final Liberation.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2014, 02:31:45 am »

I think Khorne loves him some orks though. Remember that Chaos gods don't necessarily need direct worship, the emotions themselves are enough to 'feed' them.
I'm pretty certain the Orks eat their own rage and leave the scraps for Gork and Mork to devour; there'd be nothing left for skull collector.

I'm not gonna claim I'm absolutely certain on this, but this source says the following:

His domain covers the most basic and brutal of sentient emotions and actions, such as hate, anger, rage, war and killing. Every act of killing or murder in the material universe gives Khorne power; the more senseless and destructive, the better.

So yeah, this seems to indicate that ork slaughter does indeed feed Khorne.

is there any limit to the number of different warp entities a given act can feed, and is the amount of power each recieves proportionally diminished as the number of entities empowered increases? For example would Khorne recieve less power from a sadistic wartime atrocity comitted by an eldar during the age of strife then he would from a senseless random murder, (due to the fact that the former would presumably also feed both Slaanesh and Khaela Mensha Khaine?)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2014, 07:34:04 am »

I think Khorne loves him some orks though. Remember that Chaos gods don't necessarily need direct worship, the emotions themselves are enough to 'feed' them.
I'm pretty certain the Orks eat their own rage and leave the scraps for Gork and Mork to devour; there'd be nothing left for skull collector.

I'm not gonna claim I'm absolutely certain on this, but this source says the following:

His domain covers the most basic and brutal of sentient emotions and actions, such as hate, anger, rage, war and killing. Every act of killing or murder in the material universe gives Khorne power; the more senseless and destructive, the better.

So yeah, this seems to indicate that ork slaughter does indeed feed Khorne.

is there any limit to the number of different warp entities a given act can feed, and is the amount of power each recieves proportionally diminished as the number of entities empowered increases? For example would Khorne recieve less power from a sadistic wartime atrocity comitted by an eldar during the age of strife then he would from a senseless random murder, (due to the fact that the former would presumably also feed both Slaanesh and Khaela Mensha Khaine?)

Yes I would say so. It's heresy to talk about it ( ;) ), but in the lore you see large and complex rituals that only goal is to bring either a whole army (or better said, ditch the whole planet into the warp) or to bring a single huge demon. Warp entities in general should receive more power when acts that strength them are made explicitly for them, yes. However given how much fucked up is everything regarding 40K one couldn't entirely say so because I'm sure there's a lot of contradictions regarding this among its lore.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2014, 08:19:41 am »

So, a question to all you warhammer freaks: what would your perfect 40K game look like? Or, what kind of game would you really like to see get the 40k treatment?

I would very much like a third-person shooter a la battlefront, where you play the average grunt slugging it out, but with the option of playing as more powerful things if you do well. For example, the imperium faction gets guardsmen of different kinds (eg. assault, heavy, medic) as basic choices, but play well and gather points and you get to play as a kasrkin (you 'buy' the chance to play one with points earned from various actions). And then perhaps once a round a player is chosen to play as a real elite (such as a warboss for the orks, or a space marine). Would give the chance to really make those guys feel as powerful and dangerous as they should.

Vehicles and aircraft, as well as a lot of npc troops to fill the battlefield would do wonders to finally get that sense of scale that so many 40k games lack.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I have been tempted to get into the tabletop, but it's an expensive hobby and I always felt let down by the scale of the 28mm battles. The scale problem is somewhat solved by Armageddon, but certainly not the price. Wish epic was still more supported as the battles match the scale I expect from the art. Hoping they do grander in scope in future video games.

TBH, it plays out like most standard SM fiction. Mysterious occurrence, unknown threats, possible moral threat, an inevitable betrayal, 90% of characters killed, victory in the end.
My main disappointment was the frequent use of fog; I kept getting the feeling it was running on a PS1. The trailers for the upcoming fan film look interesting, but the American accents bother me (something Ultramarine got right). The Imperium always felt Old World to me. I guess it also suffered from all Space Marines being a little generic; There are so many possible characters you could follow through the setting.

I realise my post is full of complaints and I could add more, but it's only because I otherwise like 40k.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:43 am »

I would very much like a third-person shooter a la battlefront, where you play the average grunt slugging it out, but with the option of playing as more powerful things if you do well. For example, the imperium faction gets guardsmen of different kinds (eg. assault, heavy, medic) as basic choices, but play well and gather points and you get to play as a kasrkin (you 'buy' the chance to play one with points earned from various actions). And then perhaps once a round a player is chosen to play as a real elite (such as a warboss for the orks, or a space marine). Would give the chance to really make those guys feel as powerful and dangerous as they should.

Checked out Eternal Crusade? Still in development, but it's close to what you want. Sort of. Kind of Planetside 2 meets 40k. Unfortunately they're going mad with P2W options. So unless you're ready to throw down cash, be prepared to only play Ork Boyz while being stomped by tricked out, cosmetic-beladden, special-weapon-bought-with-cash-havin', paid-execution-animation usein' players.

My ideal 40k game basically looks like that, without all the F2P nonsense.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: what would be your perfect 40K game?
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »

Ooh, perfect 40k game? Honestly, it would be something that would probably be better off as several different games. The core conceit I'd like to see from an ideal 40k game would be something along the lines of Distant Worlds, except with even further zoom-in.

Sandbox-style thing where you can choose to control as much or as little of the faction you're in control of as you like, with what amounts to extra game modes, dungeon keeper possession style, for individual unit control.

Slightly further out would be homeworld (for space stuff) or Attack of the Paper Zombies (for ground stuff) style control for individual battles/combat scenarios. Probably throw in some Sim City-styling and whatnot for potential planetary governance stuff (which would be radically different if you were playing, say, Ork, Necron, or 'Nid, and probably still significantly different if you were governing over, say, a hive world instead of a garden one or somethin').

Massive scale strategy where you can play anything down to an individual guardsmen if you wanted to, as well. Overarching sandbox/simulation with planetary/city wide, individual conflict, and single unit modes folded up into it.

Course, what that actually amounts to is wanting a massive 40k 4x game, a 40k citybuilding game (You have no idea how much I want one of those, actually. Potential to be so fluffy ;_;), a Homeworld style space RTS game, a scaled up (armies, damnit) DoW sequel, a RTT squad based game (DoW2's closer to that, but I'd prefer something like AotPZ or its sequel thing, Infested Planet), a space sim game (though I'd probably prefer something 2D, there, personally -- along the lines of Transcendence or somethin'), and a FPS and/or RPG and/or Action game.

It's just, if we were talking eye in the sky impossible madness, I'd want all of that to be the exact same game. Full scale, top to bottom immersion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2014, 12:38:29 am »

A straight conversion of tabletop to PC - all the same crunch, with customizable in-game models and maps. Perhaps also the ability to fight massive campaigns over definite objective on a planetary scale - many, many players collaborating to make a campaign happen and see which side actually managed to pull ahead in a fight.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2014, 05:45:16 am »

Checked out Eternal Crusade? Still in development, but it's close to what you want. Sort of. Kind of Planetside 2 meets 40k. Unfortunately they're going mad with P2W options. So unless you're ready to throw down cash, be prepared to only play Ork Boyz while being stomped by tricked out, cosmetic-beladden, special-weapon-bought-with-cash-havin', paid-execution-animation usein' players.

My ideal 40k game basically looks like that, without all the F2P nonsense.

I've looked into it before, and I am hopeful but very skeptical about its eventual quality.

Also, it isn't about the regular trooper, and I don't think the balance will be as I'd like to see it (which would be in line with what one reads in the more believable 40K novels).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2014, 01:08:57 pm »

So a good imperial guard game would ideally play a lot like a massive version of red orchestra 2 in my mind. With actually competent AI.

All manner of vehicles of course.

In terms of other factions. A small number of inquisitors and space-marine squads would be available on the imperial side. Etc. etc.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 824