Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965522 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #540 on: May 12, 2015, 06:14:53 pm »

A different hivemind? If it had more biomass and similar capabilities, the tyrannids would be unable to beat it, so they'd have to flee. Maybe the universe is like the Spore cell stage, with hiveminds dashing all over the place and trying to eat each other.

Something like the C'tan would work. Because there's no reason they couldn't occur in other galaxies, having being formed in the beginning of the universe. As C'tan are incorporeal beings, the Tyrannids might have difficult fighting them (though they do have psychic tyrannids).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 12, 2015, 06:23:07 pm »

Okay, I have a 40k related question.

What do you think the Tyranids are running from?

Assuming GWS had any real plan when they made that statement of canon, I'd like to think it's the Warp. Like real space is stretched over Warp Space and is slowly contracting, and stuff like the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom are holes poked in it. It's still an impermeable barrier at the edges but real space would be contracting and driving all things at the edge toward the center. Like there's a big ring of accretion at the edge of the galaxy of all the matter in the universe, compacted into nuclear fire, but still so far distant it can't be detected yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 12, 2015, 06:29:59 pm »

Do Orks have souls?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 12, 2015, 06:36:57 pm »

That implies things happening on an universal scale though. I thought every 40k universe event apart from maybe the war in heaven happened in the same galaxy? Maybe the 40k universe is actualy really tiny or something, either that or chaos and the warp is a phenomena that spans only a single galaxy, or maybe chaos is a universal thing and they're just really REALLY interested in our galaxy because of the big E or something.

Maybe the tyranids aren't actualy running from anything, maybe the current tyranids are the first arrivals of a much, MUCH larger swarm that came to our galaxy after the last one was completely consumed, which means that everyone is incredibly and horribly fucked, because that would imply that the tyranid swarm is big enough to swallow a whole galaxy.

And yes, I do think orks have souls, since they seem to have a presence in the warp and can bend reality with crowd mentality. They're just... Weird? They're weird in a way that daemons cant actualy possess them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 12, 2015, 06:39:54 pm »

Do Orks have souls?

Yes, all sapient life in 40k has a soul of some sort except for nulls. This includes Orks.

Many inanimate objects have pseudo-souls as well. Any weapon has a warp echo, as do planets and stars. If you kill enough people with a weapon it's warp echo gets stronger and it becomes mildly intelligent and self aware.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 12, 2015, 06:41:09 pm »

Nah, the warp is limited to the galaxy, being made of the thoughts and souls of it's denizens. It fades out beyond the rim, and that's why only the tyrannids with their gravity based FTL are travelling between systems.

The current tyrannids are the first arrivals of a much larger swarm, but that much larger swarm is supposedly running from something. Something scary, presumably, enough to multiple galaxies worth of biomass.

Do Orks have souls?
They effect the warp and have psychic powers. Yes.
When they die I imagine their souls become part of the warp, or perhaps more particularly Gork and Mork.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 12, 2015, 06:42:39 pm »

Maybe demons can't posess them because they're... Fungi, or something?
What were they originally built to kill, anyway? Was it the Necrons?

Don't forget the awesme, awesome Solitaires. :v
The circle is complete.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 12, 2015, 06:42:47 pm »

Do Orks have souls?

Yes, would you like to hear out my ork brothers in following Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka as your lord and savior?
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 12, 2015, 06:44:09 pm »

Maybe demons can't posess them because they're... Fungi, or something?
What were they originally built to kill, anyway? Was it the Necrons?

Don't forget the awesme, awesome Solitaires. :v

Canon is iffy on what Orks were made to kill. It's either Necrons or the Enslavers.

And Orks can be possessed, just not without rituals and sorcery.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 12, 2015, 06:49:43 pm »

or maybe chaos is a universal thing and they're just really REALLY interested in our galaxy because of the big E or something.

Or maybe the same struggle of the 40k universe plays out in other ones, and humanity only thinks it's the focus of the struggle. I believe it's even said as much in something I've read. It's worth mentioning that what gets written as 40k canon by authors is as much them expressing an opinion about the universe as we are here.

Nah, the warp is limited to the galaxy, being made of the thoughts and souls of it's denizens.

Not according to Graham McNeil. The Warp is far broader than it's typically made out to be, and while it's composed of all the life and energy of the 40k universe, it's never said to stop there. Graham McNeil stops just short of making the Warp a bridge to the multiverse.

Do Orks have souls?

It's unclear. The only thing that seems sort of clear is that they're like Teflon for the Warp. Their energy and resonance doesn't end up there like it does for other living things, and they tend to be impermeable to the Warp, at least moreso than most living things. But they're not like people with the Pariah gene, who are psychic blanks, either.

All I can say is, if they do have souls, Ork Afterlife if they have one must be fucking bonkers. The scale at which they die is mindboggling. Maybe Gork and/or Mork just eat souls all day long, that's how Ork Heaven/Hell has enough room.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:04:14 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 12, 2015, 06:52:02 pm »

Tyrannids, then?
The circle is complete.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 12, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »

Or it's reincarnation with a hydra twist. For every ork killed his soul splits into two souls...
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 12, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »

From what I remember, the warp as a plane of existence is everywhere. However, it's basically empty outside of galaxies, and this galaxy's area of it was corrupted into a literal hell by the War in Heaven. Trying to go in between galaxies would be a bit like trying to sail without wind. Sure, there's no giant waves or killer fish like in that massive storm, but on the other hand...a slow death is still death.

Also, Orks believe Gork and Mork give them a new body to keep fightin' and winnin' if/when they die, if I remember right.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:26 pm »

I'd prefer to think the Tyranids are running from whatever Old Ones fled the galaxy and accidentally ended up in their direction...
But it's more likely that they're all just going into the galaxy because dat sweet sweet Astronomicon.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 12, 2015, 08:18:32 pm »

From what I remember, the warp as a plane of existence is everywhere. However, it's basically empty outside of galaxies, and this galaxy's area of it was corrupted into a literal hell by the War in Heaven. Trying to go in between galaxies would be a bit like trying to sail without wind. Sure, there's no giant waves or killer fish like in that massive storm, but on the other hand...a slow death is still death.

But there are methods of travel within the warp that don't require it to function as a "tide." Webway portals for one, I can't remember who else but I just read about I think the Tau? having their own sort of Warp travel technology that's independent of the Warp's flow.

It might explain the rarity of entities from outside the 40k galaxy (like the Tyranids) but I don't think it precludes it. That and the Imperium doesn't really know what's out there, beyond the last stars they've seen. It' not like that's the edge of the galaxy. That's just as far the Imperium as an institution can see. The Astronomicon is so weak at the Halo zone Navigators can no longer see it, and pretty much refuse to travel the Warp. So you're left with real space motive power, and that's pretty much a no go for mapping and exploring.

And as far as the Warp goes, anything is possible. I don't believe every Warp entity requires immersion in the primordial stew or they'll die, or that there aren't beings with the power to travel directly through the Warp at will. (Re: Graham McNeil)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 824