Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971023 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Well, in a game of chapter master I was playing, one of the planets had 75 quintillion IG d00ds on it. Somehow they still couldn't do anything, though I think that many guys would form their own gravity well.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Hah. How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
10. 1 to screw it in and 9 corpses to get there.

3 points? Jeezus christ, I thought they were 4. Or maybe 5 at most.
Standard guardsmen are 50 points for 10. No idea how much extra the sergeant costs.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why aren't Chenkov's tactics used Imperium-wide? They're very easy to implement, the Imperium has no shortage of manpower, and the tactics have been successful enough that the guy's won several medals from his victories.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If everyone did it there'd be none left?
The Vostroyans donate probably the highest number of guardsmen behind the Cadians afaik.
Nobody else could probably spare the manpower.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's 4-10 quadrillion humans at the moment and that number is still growing. The Imperium has plenty of potential troops to spare.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Quick question: the pylons on Cadia hold back the eye of terror and prevent it from expanding, right? And were made by the necrons, presumably to hold back the warp to prevent the old ones form using it? If yes, question: since these must've been built waaaaay before the fall of the eldar and the creation of the eye, why is it that these pillars are only on Cadia? If they were general purpose anti-warp devices, shouldn't there be more of them spread all around, and if they are specifically to contain the Eye, how did they know where to build them?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I'd guess they were built after the Necrons awoke, then? Maybe that one time-travelling necron foresaw the Eye?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's the only way I can see it making sense, Orikan just foreseeing it or something. Still, you'd think they'd acknowledge it in the fluff.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe they're crazy rare, or experimental?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If everyone did it there'd be none left?
The Vostroyans donate probably the highest number of guardsmen behind the Cadians afaik.
Nobody else could probably spare the manpower.

Pretty sure Chenkov was a Valhallan.

While guard can't do the Chenkov thing anymore both Khorne Daemonkin and Renegades and Heretics can.  :D

Daemonkin can drop 160 bloodletters on the board that come back on a 4+ when they die as part of a formation, R&H can field 150 3 point models per Troops slot that come back on a 5+ when destroyed, and can take special/heavy weapons.

Nid's can do something similar with formations.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Why aren't Chenkov's tactics used Imperium-wide? They're very easy to implement, the Imperium has no shortage of manpower, and the tactics have been successful enough that the guy's won several medals from his victories.
More than one way to skin a cat

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But this particular way works pretty well so why not?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

It costs a lot of prometheum to transport all these troops around, you'll want to increase efficiency

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It costs a lot of prometheum to transport all these troops around, you'll want to increase efficiency

There's also the issue that regimental tactics aren't determined by a central authority, each planet raises regiments according to their own society's codes of honour and tech level, and then appoints commanders from their own world.

Krieg favours mass infantry wave tactics and uses tanks as mobile cover.

Tallarn favours hit and run guerilla warfare.

Armageddon favours mechanised infantry.

Kaledon favours hordes of ginger barbarians making bayonet charges.

If you sent some clerk to walk up and say that Chenkov has a better success rate and they should do things his way most regimental commanders would shoot them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus all the money they'd lose on lost lasguns, flak vests and grenades.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 824