Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971813 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1920 on: November 03, 2015, 05:37:58 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyPggk6x310&feature=youtu.be

"Nobody expects the Inquisition."

Honestly though, you'd expect the Imperial citizenry to have learned by now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 03, 2015, 07:21:44 am »

Wait how is the Emperor the least evil?

He still went for the whole 'genocide aliens and unite humanity under my iron fist' thing. Plus being a fairly gigantic dick to a lot of his kids. I mean, Tau allegedly did concentration camps and sterilization, but I mean...genocide, man.

Also some serious culture hate of anything not his, with the whole 'I will stamp out all religion ever' thing.

His instructions were to genocide hostile aliens, non-hostile ones were supposed to be quarantined, but a lot of people during the Great Crusade and after interpreted all xenos as inimical to human life and applied the Emperor's decree to everything they met.

As for the religion thing, he founded a lot of them in an attempt to guide humans to be nice from the sidelines and then watched helplessly as they all began to feed the Chaos Gods. Destroying human religions was a step on the road to destroying the Chaos Gods.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 03, 2015, 08:03:54 am »

His instructions were to genocide hostile aliens, non-hostile ones were supposed to be quarantined.

Genociding hostile aliens sounds a lot like genocide to me. When your reaction to a hostile group is to slaughter them all, then you're not the good guy.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 03, 2015, 09:06:17 am »

His instructions were to genocide hostile aliens, non-hostile ones were supposed to be quarantined.

Genociding hostile aliens sounds a lot like genocide to me. When your reaction to a hostile group is to slaughter them all, then you're not the good guy.
Nope, you just are the guy that survives.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 03, 2015, 09:22:01 am »

Generally the hostile aliens of Warhammer are so hostile that their very existence is a threat to all of humanity. Like the spiders of Murder, or the Slaugh, or the Orks, or the Yu'Vath. These races, and more, are de facto engaged in a war to kill or enslave all humans upon first being encountered by mankind.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 03, 2015, 09:55:13 am »

Generally the hostile aliens of Warhammer are so hostile that their very existence is a threat to all of humanity. Like the spiders of Murder, or the Slaugh, or the Orks, or the Yu'Vath. These races, and more, are de facto engaged in a war to kill or enslave all humans upon first being encountered by mankind.

The word used was "hostile", not "psychopathic"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 03, 2015, 10:22:06 am »

If you want to see humans hugging and doinking Alien species instead of wiping out their entire planet, Star Trek is over thataway. Because by most standards, the Imperium is justified in blasting pretty much any race they meet. Only the Eldar and the Tau tip the balance into "maybe you guys are total dicks" territory because they're the only canon races not trying to eat/lay eggs in/corrupt humanity.

The Great Crusade paints a less flattering picture of the Imperium, but the modern day Imperium doesn't really have the luxury of not killing any non-human it meets.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 03, 2015, 10:32:38 am »

because they're the only canon races not trying to eat/lay eggs in/corrupt humanity.

That's quite boring I dare say. If everything is grimdark then nothing is.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 03, 2015, 10:33:13 am »

Yea, only the Eldar and the Tau are somewhat bearable to humanity. "Bearable" as in "we'd probably not genocide you if you just kept to yourselves", but its kinda hard when the eldar will murder entire imperial planets to save a few eldar from a Tyranid hive fleet and the Tau will never accept anything but what the Ethereals tell them, IE "the greater good" which basically means "obey us or die".
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 03, 2015, 10:36:02 am »

because they're the only canon races not trying to eat/lay eggs in/corrupt humanity.

That's quite boring I dare say. If everything is grimdark then nothing is.

Well that's why you have the Eldar and the Tau.

But "Humanity under siege from every quarter" is the basis of the 40k setting. It justifies everything horrible that the Imperium is or has done in the name of safety. Everything trying to kill you is the crux of what makes 40k grimdark. Otherwise it's just your garden variety sci-fi setup ala Star Trek or Mass Effect with its "Good Aliens" "Bad Aliens" and "Quirky Aliens."

Yea, only the Eldar and the Tau are somewhat bearable to humanity. "Bearable" as in "we'd probably not genocide you if you just kept to yourselves", but its kinda hard when the eldar will murder entire imperial planets to save a few eldar from a Tyranid hive fleet and the Tau will never accept anything but what the Ethereals tell them, IE "the greater good" which basically means "obey us or die".

Nobodies hands are clean in 40k.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:13 am »

What about Hrud and jokaero?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 03, 2015, 10:40:40 am »

I really wish the Yu'Vath would make a comeback. Chaos xenos get virtually no attention. Nids are too hungry, Chaos Orks got erased, Tau taste awful, Chaos Eldar exist but Big S never lets them out of the sea of dicks, and Newcrons somehow can't get corrupted due to not having souls despite the fact that chaos infests machine intelligence all the time. Chaos has to be well over 90% human.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 03, 2015, 10:42:03 am »

What about Hrud and jokaero?

Jokaero are probably not able to be thought of as people rather than organic manufacturing systems made by the Old Ones. Blameless in the grand scheme of thins regardless.

The Hrud wipe out huge swathes of Imperial Territory every time they overpopulate and need to migrate, I'd be hard pressed to call them clean handed.

I really wish the Yu'Vath would make a comeback. Chaos xenos get virtually no attention. Nids are too hungry, Chaos Orks got erased, Tau taste awful, Chaos Eldar exist but Big S never lets them out of the sea of dicks, and Newcrons somehow can't get corrupted due to not having souls despite the fact that chaos infests machine intelligence all the time. Chaos has to be well over 90% human.

There's the Rak'Gol, they're more or less a chaos xenos. Also the Loxatl to a lesser extent.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 03, 2015, 10:44:16 am »

The Jokaero are too obscure and their feelings toward humanity are unknow, but I think the inquisition sometimes uses them as engineers/blacksmiths? I only know some space marines and rogue traders use jokaero weapons and equipment.

The Hrud fought against the imperium during the great crusade, but almost nothing is known about them since, but they are inimic to human life due to their natural entropic auras thingamagigs, which causes pretty much anything that isn't a hrud to wither and die.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 03, 2015, 10:47:26 am »

By the way. Is there any lore about afterlife in wh40k universe? What is official imperial belief on this question?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 824