Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965542 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2115 on: November 22, 2015, 01:37:10 pm »

I also enjoy Krieg Commissars, poor fucks who get trained alongside the rest of the Commissariat and are then dispatched to the one force in the galaxy where they have to do the exact opposite of what their job usually is and keep the Kriegers from dispassionately walking into the jaws of the enemy.
Considering GRIMDARK, they're probably Commissars who angered some higher-up Commissar.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2116 on: November 22, 2015, 02:11:33 pm »

Cool, something new to argue about. I feel like Catachan commissars have it worse.

Quote from: The Dask Campaign (Unknown Date, M41)
- The 42nd, 81st, 103rd and 186th Death Korps Infantry Regiments participate in the eradication of a Nurgle-aligned mutant army on the word of Dask in the Segmentum Tempestus. This gruesome war of attrition would see the glorious death of Colonel 186 as he charged at the front of 400 men to retake a strategic hill.

Colonel 186

Yep. That's grimdark.
Apparently some of them do have names. Check the 138th Death Korps Mechanised Infantry Regiment and it's commander, Lieutenant Colonel (Wh40k ranks are rarely consistent and sometimes make no fucking sense) Heinrich Voorscht. My personal theory is that they get names after reaching certain rank where it's possible for them to survive a considerable amount of time, and the names they get is of old-day heroes of Krieg or something, since I vaguely remember that in one book the "governor" of the Krieg was something-General Jurten, but that may be just as "spiritual" (as in, like guardian spirit) governor or maybe just a coincidence, or maybe they do, in fact, have nobility of some sort.
On another note: if Stormtroopers are recruited from the orphans of nobles and war heroes, and the death korps don't really have nobles, war heroes or orphans.. Does that mean they don't contribute?
They don't, although they have their own. Krieg Stormtroopers are the regular Guardsmen who (somehow) survive assaults. After that, they get a bit of armor, better gun and are told to assault even harder. Inqisiton sometimes requisitons those guys because they're better than regular Stormtroppers when it comes to, well, storming (but they fail when it comes to tactics, independent thinking and such).
I also enjoy Krieg Commissars, poor fucks who get trained alongside the rest of the Commissariat and are then dispatched to the one force in the galaxy where they have to do the exact opposite of what their job usually is and keep the Kriegers from dispassionately walking into the jaws of the enemy.
Considering GRIMDARK, they're probably Commissars who angered some higher-up Commissar.
Catachans get those guys. On unrelated note, I remember a writefagottry about a Commissar who was so bad at being a Commissar (aka, blamming people, being pain in ass and such) so they sent him to Catachans, which actually was a brilliant idea because they, for once, liked a Commissar who isin't blamming their friends and being pain in ass and can actually keep up in combat.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: November 22, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »

My thought on named Kriegers is that they're the human equivalent of emergent AI, having lived long enough to grow a personality and smart enough to not show it and get blammed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 22, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »

I think they're all given names at birth and just don't really care enough to use them.

Also re: StormKriegers- are you referencing grenadiers? 'Cos I think they're the veteran equivalent.
Ah, who am I kidding, stormtroopers are just veterans with hotter guns and a few handy special rules.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 22, 2015, 03:16:58 pm »

If stormtrooper becoming chain looks like  several years in pdf > service in IG > becoming stormtrooper,  then they should be half of space marine badassery level( apply some ceramite plates and augmentations for reaching 2/3 of space marine)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 22, 2015, 03:53:03 pm »

The only stormtroopers who served time in the IG are Cadian Kasrkins and they get picked out of the herd really early on.

For everyone else, it's all of the schola progenum orphans who had the wrong aptitudes to be commissars, but were far too good at killing to become scribes.

They have a 4+, move through cover and deep strike. 'S about it.

In other news, I wonder what would happen to a krieg company who got a cushy posting? Due to an admin error or something. Fresh air, sunshine, lots of free time and the job is to dig a trench and hold it, but nobody is arriving to take it.
Would they think they'd died and gone to heaven? Would they even enjoy heaven? Would they see heaven as a place of weakness? Would they be awkward and uncomfortable?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 22, 2015, 03:55:30 pm »

The only stormtroopers who served time in the IG are Cadian Kasrkins and they get picked out of the herd really early on.

For everyone else, it's all of the schola progenum orphans who had the wrong aptitudes to be commissars, but were far too good at killing to become scribes.

They have a 4+, move through cover and deep strike. 'S about it.

In other news, I wonder what would happen to a krieg company who got a cushy posting? Due to an admin error or something. Fresh air, sunshine, lots of free time and the job is to dig a trench and hold it, but nobody is arriving to take it.
Would they think they'd died and gone to heaven? Would they even enjoy heaven? Would they see heaven as a place of weakness? Would they be awkward and uncomfortable?
I'm not sure they would really think about it. It's simply a posting.
They'd stand their watches, take their allocated rest, and I doubt they really have the free thought to consider it as heaven or hell.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2122 on: November 22, 2015, 04:04:40 pm »

Also re: StormKriegers- are you referencing grenadiers? 'Cos I think they're the veteran equivalent.
Ah, who am I kidding, stormtroopers are just veterans with hotter guns and a few handy special rules.
Basically, I forgot the word tho. But indeed, Stormtroopers are exactly that, and Krieg gets their own load of hotter guns and few handy rules, so basically they're that, and I recall that the Grenadiers were sometimes requisitoned as Stormtrooper squads by some Inquisitors.
Love and Krieg and it's spinoffs and spinoffs of spinoffs is exactly what you're looking for, except maybe with more boobs than you want. It's exactly as retarded and non-grimdark as it sounds, at least at first (most of the original is a fucking love story(!) between female Guardswoman of Krieg (!!) and a regular guy from world that resembles present-day Earth(!!!)) but gets a bit better later on (Tyranids invading in spin-offs) and has some nice ideas (Regentropfen, Terranis as DKoK own snowflake heaven, the idea that even Kriegers sometimes feel emotions... the whole thing about them knowing what they lost... again, everything in spin-offs because they were written by more reasonable people), but yeah. Basically, writefaggotry ensues.

From more canonical point of view - they would proably end up doing the same thing as ever, which is not giving a shit.
EDIT:
At best they would be a bit suprised why there is noone to shoot at, but still, the most "free" thought you would get from them is that it's calm before storm.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:10:42 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 22, 2015, 04:06:40 pm »

I disagree, apathy isn't the driving force of the Kriegers, repentance is. They'd lose it even further if not given an opportunity to die for the Emperor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2124 on: November 22, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »

I disagree, apathy isn't the driving force of the Kriegers, repentance is. They'd lose it even further if not given an opportunity to die for the Emperor.
Yeah it's some powerful guilt complex they got, where they're dying to repent for the sins of people who shared the same planet with them aeons ago. They're not descended from the imperials who turned traitors against the Imperium, they're descended from the General who nuked the planet to bring the traitors down and they're guilty that they didn't do it faster xD

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2125 on: November 22, 2015, 04:15:06 pm »

The problem is that the core of their repentance is the fact that they're more devoted to Emperor than anything, ever. They obey the orders to the letter (especially when it involves dying in droves, but eh) and it wouldn't proably be even possible for them to be angry or irritated about it, simply because Emperor's (Departmento Munitorum) orders is for them to sit there. They're more afraid of breaking orders than not dying for Emperor, which is also why Commissars holding them back when they want to charge works.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:19:59 pm by Kot »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 22, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »

Kriegers dont lack emotions : love for the emperor, sadness for  eternal sin, joy in chance to die for the emperor, rage for enemies of the emperor. If you replace word emperor, they are totally sane and fine people.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 22, 2015, 04:37:57 pm »

Replace it with what? Joy at a chance to die for a fulfilling life, surrounded by family and friends? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 22, 2015, 04:39:13 pm »

I was going to say 'Greater Good' and stroke my forehead menacingly, but that works too.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 22, 2015, 04:40:14 pm »

I was going to say 'Greater Good' and stroke my forehead menacingly, but that works too.
I... don't see how you can stroke your own forehead menacingly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 824