Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971724 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2340 on: December 18, 2015, 09:24:17 pm »

I'd consider it plausible. In my head, all the different ways of looking at Chaos are all true in their own way, because the Empyrean doesn't have to limit itself to one nature like the Materium does. Khorne can be both exclusively a giant bloodthirster sitting atop a throne of skulls and the deep feeling of inner hate trying to break free from within the souls of all men. Unnatural and atemporal, bound by nothing but their interactions with the relatively flat and boring realm of math and physics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: December 18, 2015, 09:52:27 pm »

You could look at any individual part of the warp and and see a complete entity, whether that means just a demon, one of the four main domains/gods, or even the whole thing. The warp is the realm of the mind, and everything in it is a mind, including subdivisions of what you might see as a particular mind.
Or at least that's how I see it.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:04 pm »

Also pursuant to this: if the Chaos Gods are almost akin to Primordials or unshaped Raksha in Exalted terms, then there must be a way to kill them. Problem is that'd fuck everything else over.
I once saw it explained pretty well on another forum, I'll paraphrase:
The materium is the realm of what could and does happen.
The Warp is the realm of what could happen but does not, the potential for anything, and psykers work by taking in that potential and putting it into the Materium.
The Chaos Gods by virtue of their extremely broad nature and the atemporal nature of the Warp have always existed once they come into being. So the only way to kill a Chaos God is to make it have never existed in the first place. This is obviously impossible in the warp, unless you somehow make nothingness itself eternal, which would open up a new realm, the equivalent of the Underworld in Exalted: that which does not and could not happen, ie completely impossible eldritch bullshit that would likely kill the Warp itself and end the universe.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: December 19, 2015, 12:29:25 am »

What about the realm of what could not happen yet inexplicably does?

Is Creed the ruler of it?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2344 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:48 am »

It would require an tactical genius to create an realm like that...
Wait, what?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: December 19, 2015, 03:24:41 am »

What about the realm of what could not happen yet inexplicably does?

Is Creed the ruler of it?
[ruiningthejoke]that'd probably be the Warp. Your face couldn't possibly turn into a grape in the real world, but it could with Warp magic.

I'll try to find the relevant post, the guy explained it better than me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: December 19, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »

So Creed is the ultimate Warp God?

Ruling the Warp secretly while being the finest military mind in the Imperium of Man...something like that would require a tactical ge-

...he can't make me say it. Not yet. Not now.

Also, as we were talking about the 'finer' aspects of the Warp Gods, I'm not sure if I asked this before, but I had an idea for a Daemon World thing that wasn't absolute hell and was rather more like a DnD world on the surface, with the hints of what it actually is under a surface of apparent adventure or something. Wonder what you guys might think of it. Repasted from where I'd originally put it, sorry for wall of text, but, meh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: December 19, 2015, 05:44:10 pm »

Just as planned?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 19, 2015, 07:09:14 pm »

Also, as we were talking about the 'finer' aspects of the Warp Gods, I'm not sure if I asked this before, but I had an idea for a Daemon World thing that wasn't absolute hell and was rather more like a DnD world on the surface, with the hints of what it actually is under a surface of apparent adventure or something. Wonder what you guys might think of it. Repasted from where I'd originally put it, sorry for wall of text, but, meh.
Looks cool. Has forum game potential.
You have duplicated writing on the Knights of Khorne, otherwise it's well done and there is nothing to criticise.
The reason why the Penitents have urges is unexplained and it needs to be emphasised that they seek martial perfection.
Knights Feralis should be renamed Knights Feral. They seem to have little to do with Nurgle save for their odour. Consider making them the knights who enforce stability and the status quo rather than smelly hippies.
Knights Arcanus are wizards, not knights, at least going by what their description says.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 19, 2015, 08:20:04 pm »

Knights Chivalric were the ones that started the idea, so they're the most well developed. Knights Penitent have urges because people have urges and they're still Slaaneshi (think sexual repression/frustration), though I could try and emphasize the search for perfection. I tried for a while to figure out what to call the Knights Feralis, and went with Feralis mostly because Knights Feral sounds rather dumb compared to the rest, and it was the best one I could think of. Their abilities...they were basically the hardest ones to do, period, because I had to decide how I wanted them to function/be, aesthetically. They were meant in some ways to function off of Nurgle's naturalistic side, his aspects of love and detachment, rather than necessarily order and stability. To be honest, I hadn't actually considered the idea, though I did think of them as basically a type of guard for the cities (Daemons Monsters run amok outside of civilized lands, after all). Your idea might work better with them being a Knightly Order, as the Knights Sentinel or something, who keep the Wall, ensure rules of war are followed, help enforce the law when need gets desperate...hmmm...

Knights Arcanus are wizards, yeah, but it's still a Knightly Order; Knight is a title as much as a job, at least with this. Also, they do have some martial talent, if not so great as the others.

Then of course there are the Fallen versions; Necromancy, for example, is primarily an Elvish pursuit(and even then, only the Fallen will stoop to such horrendous means), and involves the use of those wretched soulstones, capable of trapping one's very spirit and animating dark constructs of unnatural make.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:08 am »

Knights Penitent have urges because people have urges and they're still Slaaneshi (think sexual repression/frustration), though I could try and emphasize the search for perfection.
Ah, I understand. What you have is fine, it's just a matter of emphasis. Before it seemed that the urges were the main feature while martial perfection was a side-effect. If you swap it so the martial perfection is main while the urges are side then everything works.

I tried for a while to figure out what to call the Knights Feralis, and went with Feralis mostly because Knights Feral sounds rather dumb compared to the rest, and it was the best one I could think of.
Knights Feral does sound dumb, but Knights Feralis sounds dumb (it's obviously based on the word 'feral') and it sounds made up.

Their abilities...they were basically the hardest ones to do, period, because I had to decide how I wanted them to function/be, aesthetically. They were meant in some ways to function off of Nurgle's naturalistic side, his aspects of love and detachment, rather than necessarily order and stability. To be honest, I hadn't actually considered the idea, though I did think of them as basically a type of guard for the cities (Daemons Monsters run amok outside of civilized lands, after all). Your idea might work better with them being a Knightly Order, as the Knights Sentinel or something, who keep the Wall, ensure rules of war are followed, help enforce the law when need gets desperate...hmmm...
Yeah, you can't really make a knightly order out of Nurgle's plague, death, and nature aspects. Enforcing medieval stasis and providing safety and stability are practically the only things you can do with them. Alternatively, you can just do what Khorne did in Age of Sigmar and have Nurgle separate from the others and become the villain. Khornates hate him because he mainly targets poor people and dying of disease is a shitty way for warriors (or anyone) to go, Slaaneshi hate him because disease makes people feel like shit, removes wealth, destroys perfection, etc., and Tzeenchians hate him for the traditional reason of stifling progress.

Then of course there are the Fallen versions; Necromancy, for example, is primarily an Elvish pursuit(and even then, only the Fallen will stoop to such horrendous means), and involves the use of those wretched soulstones, capable of trapping one's very spirit and animating dark constructs of unnatural make.
Heh, that's pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, call the Knights Penitent something else. With a name like that, it's basically as if the knights are expected to break their oaths.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:30:22 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: December 23, 2015, 07:51:55 pm »

Converted a Dominus into a Warpsmith/Renegade Arch-Demagogue.

There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2352 on: December 23, 2015, 07:56:16 pm »

I love it, though I don't recognize what it is
Newfangled 40k?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: December 23, 2015, 07:57:18 pm »

I love it, though I don't recognize what it is
Newfangled 40k?

Slightly modified Tech Priest Dominus, the HQ unit for the Cult Mechanicus codex.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2354 on: December 23, 2015, 08:00:01 pm »

Admech got a dex? That actually sounds pretty awesome on all levels
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 824