Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965527 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2430 on: January 04, 2016, 11:43:32 am »

Lots of people.

Most just opt for a mass spray job though with quick touch up details.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:08 am »

Al right, let's round up the sum of £400 for an IG army with tanks and infantry, adding the PCS (what's that btw?) and anything else needed. We could pump it up to let's say £450.

How much is the minimal wage (if there's one)? Or how much do the average person makes there? How much does it cost a month of rent, services and food there? How much for an average pair of shoes and some clothes? I ask about minimal wage because two things. In my country minimal is the maximum most people can aspire (and indeed ever get). Also because along with the prices of living it would help me create a better picture of how really expensive the hobby is.
If we go with the price of £400, that's a little bit more than a month's rent for an average two-bedroom place (around where I live, at least), or ~60 hours of work at minimum wage.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: January 04, 2016, 11:52:14 am »

If we go with the price of £400, that's a little bit more than a month's rent for an average two-bedroom place (around where I live, at least), or ~60 hours of work at minimum wage.
Holly crap that's expensive. A little over a week of work. However I can see how it could be diluted among say £50 purchases among several months. It's still not only a expensive, but also time consuming hobby. However I do understand it's luring nature, and if I lived in a country that's not A)a pseudo communist hole and B)actually had hobby stores, I would buy miniatures, perhaps not much for playing as for display, but games wouldn't be out of the table at all.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: January 04, 2016, 11:55:29 am »

Don't forget the approx. 70 US$ every couple of years for the codex and rulebook.  And the paints and glue to put those models together, which is probably the cheapest aspect, as you don't have to buy those from GW.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: January 04, 2016, 12:00:55 pm »

Eh. Considering it's a formation belonging to current rules, I doubt you'd move past it.
Lots of people.

Most just opt for a mass spray job though with quick touch up details.
Green armor, White cloth, Beige Skin.

These are not space marines.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: January 04, 2016, 12:03:00 pm »

Also money aside...
Who the hell would willingly paint them?

Edit: Saw an "Emperor's shield platoon" online which had only two squads of shock troops.
Will need to find a RAW that the platoons are minimum 50 men, otherwise it maybe an army builder mixup, or a rule change between the campaign book and the scrapbook.
Then again, it could always just be GW doing what they do best.

I paint huge armies of cultists, which is if anything more time consuming than painting guard. Got about 85 to paint atm, already did 70.

Platoons are minimum 25 models. 2 squads of 10 Infantry and 1 5 man Command Squad. They can take another 3 Infantry Squads, add in special weapons teams and heavy weapons teams, and the Infantry Squads can be combined into mega-squads. Counts as 1 Troops Choice or one space in a Formation.

I personally find the hobby quite reasonably priced, but that's probably because I don't drink or go to clubs or anything. A lot of people my age (early 20s) will drop the same amount of money I spend on Warhammer, sometimes more, on getting drunk and dancing to shitty music.

Over the course of 5 years a small/medium sized collection is about as expensive as a games console plus a few games and bits and pieces like controllers and headsets. A large collection can be about as expensive as a motorbike according to some Aussies I know on another forum who have both bike collections and 40k armies.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: January 04, 2016, 12:06:29 pm »

Be smart about it when you get into it though. Ebay as much as you can, find paints that aren't by GW, except maybe their metallics, try and do as much stuff as you can yourself.

Because it is seriously expensive. I spent 300 dollars and barely got a 750 point army when I bought mostly official stuff. And then the new rulebook came out two months later.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: January 04, 2016, 12:14:03 pm »

Part of the problem with the hobby is that some things are more points/£ efficient than others, which can result in the relative price of a 1500 point army being very different depending on what it's made of. One of the guys on giantitp.com has done some Building on a Budget guides for some of the armies in which he looks the army and it's price (in Australian dollars, so the maths may work out differently in other currencies) and works out the cheapest way to build a passable army.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: January 04, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »

Saw an "Emperor's shield platoon" online which had only two squads of shock troops.
Will need to find a RAW that the platoons are minimum 50 men, otherwise it maybe an army builder mixup, or a rule change between the campaign book and the scrapbook.
Platoons are minimum 25 models. 2 squads of 10 Infantry and 1 5 man Command Squad. They can take another 3 Infantry Squads, add in special weapons teams and heavy weapons teams, and the Infantry Squads can be combined into mega-squads. Counts as 1 Troops Choice or one space in a Formation.

The Mont'ka formation stipulates "each infantry platoon must take 5 infantry squads".
I'll choose to believe that you were saying all that for the benefit of others, rather than condescendingly describing the IG's buildset to another IG player.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: January 04, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »

Saw an "Emperor's shield platoon" online which had only two squads of shock troops.

The Mont'ka formation stipulates "each infantry platoon must take 5 infantry squads".
I'll choose to believe that you were saying all that for the benefit of others, rather than condescendingly describing the IG's buildset to another IG player.

Didn't know you played guard. Apologies if it came across as insulting.

Also haven't read Mont'ka myself so I wasn't aware the formation made that stipulation. As a follower of Chaos I view Guard and Tau as weak and pitiful things to crush in assault, so I don't usually buy their rules and supplements. Used to keep an eye on the Guard stuff for R&Hs count-as purposes, but now I've got actual R&Hs rules I don't bother anymore.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: January 04, 2016, 12:42:31 pm »

Forgiven.
I play Tzeentchmarines also... Shut up.
But I know that cultists are cheaper than even guard.
AFAIK they basically exist to farm bloodtide or be zombies.

Which is yours?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: January 04, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »

Forgiven.
I play Tzeentchmarines also... Shut up.
But I know that cultists are cheaper than even guard.
AFAIK they basically exist to farm bloodtide or be zombies.

Which is yours?

Unmarked cultists actually cost the same as Guard I think. Aren't basic guard 4 points per model?

I use them to farm bloodtide, drown my enemy in close combat attacks and also as counts-as R&Hs infantry platoons.

EDIT: Also, a lot of people find it intimidating when you plop 100+ infantry on the board. Less so if they're playing an army with lots of anti-infantry shooting, but works pretty well against general lists that are meant to handle fliers, tanks infantry, MCs, bikes and so on.

Still prefer my heavy walker list though, cultists take foreeeeevvvveeer to move in large numbers. 6 walkers, 40 bloodletters and a pair of Bloodthirsters is much quicker to play.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:36:13 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:53 pm »

Guards are six per model, I believe, but I think that includes the cost of the Sergeant. (60 points for ten man squad; nine guards one sarge, I think).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2443 on: January 04, 2016, 01:49:16 pm »

Still prefer my heavy walker list though, cultists take foreeeeevvvveeer to move in large numbers.

Yeah, large armies are horrifying. In a different game system, I used to play a Grecian phalanx army. Four or more hour games.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:33 pm »

Guards are six per model, I believe, but I think that includes the cost of the Sergeant. (60 points for ten man squad; nine guards one sarge, I think).
Close, it's fifty now.

Eh, most times I run an infantry army, they end up being obsolete because I kill everything which isn't the superheavy and they kill everything capable of hurting the superheavy.

Then there's Imp. knight armies.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 824