Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965231 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2715 on: January 22, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »

>ruler ship
I hope there's a Mechanicus world ruled by an actual ship

Could actually happen since some Magos are heavily integrated into spacecraft, and there's precedent for immobilised (from integration to machinery) Magi being leaders among the Mechanicus.

EDIT: In tangential news, it turns out using guitar cords to make power cables for conversions is trickier than I expected. They look great, but they're really stiff and hard to get in the right poses. Took about half an hour just to get two cables onto Abaddon's Talon arm.

Neat! I always just rolled up a tube of Green Stuff Equivalent

I did try that, but I couldn't get a ribbed cabling look and gave up pretty quickly.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: January 22, 2016, 04:24:51 pm »

I use cutters to make the cable look.
That being said I've only done it once.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 22, 2016, 09:10:24 pm »

I've gone so far as to go to the hardware store and spend money on their bits to get the right look. Cause man when you find that tiny spring just the right size to serve as an accent, or faucet filters that give just the right look of mesh armor at scale...it's worth the money.

On the other hand, some stuff turns out to be so heavy it's impossible to work with.

I also tear up old computer parts for the wires and neat-looking bits.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 23, 2016, 02:15:29 am »

You better dont mess with pentium 1 machine spirits, they will sing hymns of despair and rage in ancient code and you will regret it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 24, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »

I've gone so far as to go to the hardware store and spend money on their bits to get the right look. Cause man when you find that tiny spring just the right size to serve as an accent, or faucet filters that give just the right look of mesh armor at scale...it's worth the money.

On the other hand, some stuff turns out to be so heavy it's impossible to work with.

I also tear up old computer parts for the wires and neat-looking bits.

I've seen a few conversions that use watch parts. They're pretty good for tiny gears and screws.

In other matters, my brother and I were spinning some ideas around and are now considering running these two armies the next time we have a 2000 points doubles match.

Me: Unbound list of 666 R&Hs Plague Zombies sorted into units of 50, with 16 left over as a separate unit.

Him: Unbound list of 400 Tyranid Spore Mines, sorted into various sized units, some intended to glance vehicles, others to wipe out cover camping infantry.

The zombies would be hard to kill by sheer dint of numbers even without being Fearless and having FNP 4+, but having enough to cover every objective on any given board with 110 of them is probably overkill to anything without S6+ apocalyptic barrages, while the saturation bombing run of spores would be both destructive and amusing. We think it would be enough to make our opponents start chewing on their own rulebooks while we laugh our asses off.  :P

Thoughts?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: January 24, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »

Do you have enough paint?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 24, 2016, 03:50:25 pm »

Do you have enough paint?

Ah, the real question.

Yeah I could probably paint that many zombies if I could get past the sheer tedium, especially if I can find a spray paint that has a suitable colour.

Our idea for the spore mines was plasticard BANG! signs glued to toothpicks and stuck in some corkboard on 25 mm bases. Paint the signs up to look like rusted signposts and call it a day on them.

The whole thing would be hell to make, but it probably wouldn't take more than a week if I let my standards slip.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: January 24, 2016, 04:41:00 pm »

It would be funny, but I dunno if you'd get away with the signpost spore mines.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 25, 2016, 07:46:27 am »

Why is Creed such a meme?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 25, 2016, 08:20:22 am »

Creed on tabletop has the ability, Tactical Genius, to give any unit the Scouts rules, which gives them a head start on their movement ( moving before anyone else, 2 movements if moving first ), and access to the Outflank special rule.
Outflank lets scouts attack by coming in from the side of the game board, decided by a dice roll.
He can apply this to absolutely any unit, including things it should be straight up impossible to not notice, such as a Baneblade or a Warhound Titan.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 25, 2016, 08:24:43 am »

Creed on tabletop has the ability, Tactical Genius, to give any unit the Scouts rules, which gives them a head start on their movement ( moving before anyone else, 2 movements if moving first ), and access to the Outflank special rule.
Outflank lets scouts attack by coming in from the side of the game board, decided by a dice roll.
He can apply this to absolutely any unit, including things it should be straight up impossible to not notice, such as a Baneblade or a Warhound Titan.
Any CCS can do that in th IG now. Creed just gets to roll for it twice
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 25, 2016, 09:52:26 am »

Was the IG as grimdark during great crusade? With shitty gear and comissars blamming you for shits and giggles and stuff.
I dont know anything about table top except, that it is played with miniatures. How does it feel to be flanked with baneblade or titan?
Does any of you, bay12yers, have any awesome stories of tactical genius happening with you/ pulling that of with someone? Are there any DEVASTATING DEEP STRIKE RULES working like that?
Was not the total incompetence the exclusive lore feature of 90 %  IG commanders?
What is the most glorius tank in imperial arsenal?
Is camo cloak making someone nearly invisible high tech thing, or it is just camouflage cloak, so your yellow armour suit looks a bit less obvious in forest?
How did imperium even fight against tau, if they had stealth suits, night vision gear and stuff like that?
Are there any cases of imperium genociding eldar/ tau, like blowing up sept world or eldar ship worlds?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:47 am »

Was the IG as grimdark during great crusade? With shitty gear and comissars blamming you for shits and giggles and stuff.
I dont know anything about table top except, that it is played with miniatures. How does it feel to be flanked with baneblade or titan?
Does any of you, bay12yers, have any awesome stories of tactical genius happening with you/ pulling that of with someone? Are there any DEVASTATING DEEP STRIKE RULES working like that?
Was not the total incompetence the exclusive lore feature of 90 %  IG commanders?
Is camo cloak making someone nearly invisible high tech thing, or it is just camouflage cloak, so your yellow armour suit looks a bit less obvious in forest?
How did imperium even fight against tau, if they had stealth suits, night vision gear and stuff like that?
Are there any cases of imperium genociding eldar/ tau, like blowing up sept world or eldar ship worlds?

The Imperial Army, the Great Crusade version of the Imperial Guard was more of an auxillary force to back up the Space Marine Legions and occupy conquered worlds. They were better equipped and trained on average than the guard are and were by and large treated better. Due to the waning power of the Imperium it needs large numbers of soldiers more than it needs elite warriors, so the guard are given easier to make but less potent tech and spend less time training. Like most things the 30K army was less grimdark than the 40k one.

Honestly being flanked by superheavies is more annoying than anything else. If you both have superheavies it means your own ones got to blast at the enemy army for a turn with no equivalent retaliation, but the outflanking one gets a chance to shoot yours in the side armour. Doesn't happen often because it's honestly not that great a trick.

Most Outflank stories are from older editions, newer versions of the same sort of stuff usually work off Deep Strike formations that let you charge when you arrive.

The vast bulk of Guard Commanders are actually meant to be very competent, very very competent in fact, they just rarely have much hesitation to do horrible things we'd consider foolish wastes of men since men are the thing they have the most of. Of the Commanders with printed rules Knight-Commander Pask is probably the least competent, since he can't command very well but is instead just great at driving and fighting in his tank.

Most glorious is probably one of the Baneblade variants. The Stormsword is a pretty neat piece of pre-heresy kit that is no longer made.

Camo cloaks are made of some sort of reactive material, they change colour and texture to match the terrain around the wearer. They only work properly when staying quite still of course, but that's true of most camouflage.

Tau stealth tech is still detectable, and only found on a small number of their units. That and being invisible doesn't help when the enemy has enough men to literally drown you in blood and corpses if they want to and enough artillery to turn night into day. The Tau just get ground down by the sledgehammer that is the guard while their leadership gets taken out in precision strikes by Space Marines. Most fights the Tau have 'won' is just because the Imperium had to go deal with something that's actually a threat, like Chaos, Orks or Tyranids. It's important to remember that thought Tau tech is slightly better than the Imperium's, it's still behind the Dark Age of Technology relics the Imperium possess and the Tau empire is only about a hundred worlds in size compared to the millions of worlds in the Imperium.

The Imperium has destroyed a few Tau worlds in the 2nd and 3rd expansions of the Tau empire, but it usually doesn't bother. Tau worlds can be reclaimed just fine unlike those of Chaos or Orks, so exterminatus is usually only done to them to deny the Tau ground and destroy any military assets they have present. As for genociding the Eldar Craftworlds... I think the Imperium killed one, and lost most a segmentum fleet to do so. It's one of the hardest tasks in the Galaxy and since Eldar are usually peaceful enough to ignore it's not a common thing. Especially since the other Craftworlds will destroy a hundred humans worlds in revenge.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 25, 2016, 11:00:33 am »

30k Imperial Guard (at the time called the Imperial Army) was essentially the most powerful faction in the galaxy in terms of raw military ability. The Legions were the speartip of the Great Crusade, and the IA was every other part of the spear. If they and the Legions had been pitted against each other the Legions probably would have eventually won with their own numbers and the guidance of the Primarchs, but it would have been a grueling conflict. I don't recall if the Commissariat had been founded before or after the Heresy, but even if they existed back then they wouldn't have had much resemblance to their typical grimdark counterparts in M42. As for gear, the IA had the full might of the united Mechanicus behind them mass producing materials that in M42 are essentially all venerated artifacts.
That would be the truly obscene Capitol Imperialis, a tank so large that it can stand up to Titans and fit four Leman Russ MBTs inside its main cannon. Frankly, it sort of edges out of "tank" and into "fort with treads".
Because the Tau are weaklings. The Tau are by far the single weakest faction in all of 40k, and even other minor xenos empires could go toe-to-toe with them and win. They are essentially the most powerful singular faction of the "too small to notice" bracket. If the Imperium ever had reason to commit to it, they would burn the Tau from the galaxy, but they exist in an area just on the edge of the Astronomicon's sight so it isn't worth it compared to things like the Tyranids and Chaos.

Even the Dark Eldar, who by volume are an even smaller faction, are more powerful than the Tau.
Any Imperial craft capable of exterminatus could destroy a Sept world, though given that Tau and Human standards are similar they'd probably prefer to slaughter the Tau and take the planet instead of burning it. Actually blowing up a Sept world entirely would take a two-stage cyclonic torpedo, which is a rare form of exterminatus both for how expensive and how wasteful it usually is, mostly reserved for taking out worlds that have absorbed the rot of Chaos and are no longer fully mundane.

The Imperium has definitely destroyed craftworlds before, including Idharae and Mor-rioh'i.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 25, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »

Camo cloaks are made of some sort of reactive material, they change colour and texture to match the terrain around the wearer. They only work properly when staying quite still of course, but that's true of most camouflage.

Depends on who has them. Camo gear for IG soldiers is often battered, hundred-year-old issue or just mundane camoflague. Spess mehrines, as with all things, get the cream of the metamaterials.
The material in "proper" camo-gear cloaks is Cameloline, I think.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 824