Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971867 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3150 on: February 28, 2016, 03:09:03 pm »

Counterpoint: The Interex, who managed to peacefully coexist with some species of aliens similar to humanity while also effectively shielding themselves against the snares of Kaos.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: February 28, 2016, 03:15:48 pm »

Counterpoint: The Interex, who managed to peacefully coexist with some species of aliens similar to humanity while also effectively shielding themselves against the snares of Kaos.

They coexisted with one species (which was formerly dedicated to Chaos rather than opposed to it), which they had as second class citizens denied many of the rights afforded to the humans of their civilization.

The only other alien species they had any major interaction with they had to quarantine on a planet because they were inhuman genocidal monsters with no concept of peace.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: February 28, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »

isn't that basically all of wh40k?

"look at this peaceful race/empire, coexisting with others and giving good living to all of it's members"

"IN REALITY, THEY WERE SECRETLY CHAOS WORSHIPPERS AND VIOLENTLY MUTILATE PEOPLE IN SECRET ALL ALONG. G R I M D A R K

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: February 28, 2016, 03:37:36 pm »

isn't that basically all of wh40k?

"look at this peaceful race/empire, coexisting with others and giving good living to all of it's members"

"IN REALITY, THEY WERE SECRETLY CHAOS WORSHIPPERS AND VIOLENTLY MUTILATE PEOPLE IN SECRET ALL ALONG. G R I M D A R K

Well they aren't all chaos worshippers, some are just assholes by nature. Like the Slaugh, who are immune (seemingly) to chaos corruption, but eat human brains for a drug trip. Or the Loxatl, who are also immune to corruption, but seek to destroy the Imperium, but cannot on their own so simply serve as mercenaries for anyone who isn't Imperial.

Some species like the Tarrellians are more or less fine, being uncorrupted and not inherently bad, just xenophobic and unwilling to cooperate with humanity. Though they do want to destroy the Imperium for nuking their homeworld twice now.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:08 pm »

Funny you mention the Interex. I decided to give them a world in the Koronus Expanse, a sort of "Got the fuck out before Interex was destroyed" colony.

Gonna be fun when the PCs meet them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: February 28, 2016, 06:16:08 pm »

More work on my LoC.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Going for a somewhat armoured look.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: February 28, 2016, 09:20:53 pm »

The important thing to remember about xenos is that when mankind's original empire collapsed the vast majority of aliens took it as a chance to prey upon humanity. Some veiled themselves as saviors and friends, only to ultimately betray those who trusted them, others came as conquerors, others came as predators. The first was by far the most dangerous in the Emperor's eyes. Aliens in 40k cannot be trusted, for they are too strange and different to ever truly hold humans as equals, they are either better than man or it's inferior.

Even the Eldar, who are the most similar to mankind of all xenos, find the very way we breathe enough of an offense to their senses that it would justify our extinction to them. To more unusual aliens like the Loxatl, Rak'Gol or the Slaugh we exist solely to be fed upon, wiped out or sacrificed to the fell powers of the Warp.
As far as I know, that bit about the Eldar isn't quite true.
It's the chewing with our mouths open that justifies the extinction, not the breathing. They're civilized enough to tolerate the stench of that in small doses.

If man cannot treat an alien as their equal, perhaps it is no wonder the aliens cannot do so either. If mankind has never been the one to betray those they once called friends, indeed, if they have at least not done with their own kind, then they may step forward and claim that aliens are less than they in honor, in trust, in moral integrity. Until then, remember that the Eldar are no worse than you, Imperials, who would slay your own species by the thousands for uttering the wrong cantations and rituals. And if it is might that makes right...are not the Tyranids the most righteous of us all?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:27 am »

In warhammer world proper ritusls have point, as they actually work. So being zealous about rituals being right has kinda lot of sense.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: February 29, 2016, 08:31:26 am »

In 40k is theorised a lot of things work with actual voice commands, and a wrong chanting can make the blender on your kitchen meltdown and blow up half planet instead of making a tasty frappé.

Also given that deamons and other nasty stuff actually do exist, it seems kind of important to know your chants.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3159 on: February 29, 2016, 08:53:54 am »

slay your own species by the thousands for uttering the wrong cantations and rituals
Honestly speaking, Eldar should be the ones seeing sense in slaying your own for wrong cantations and rituals, as they fucked a Chaos God into existence, once.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:20 am »

Ye, given how chaos works, even if you came up with your own chant/ritual thing, using it can actualy cause shit to happen, specially if you're of the psyker sort.

Its also how chaos magic is supposed to work irl (chaos magicians are like, an actual thing), except it doesnt :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: February 29, 2016, 02:40:41 pm »

I decided to start painting Tyranids again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I favour Hive Fleet Behemoth's colours over the other fleets. For some reason I can't take Leviathan or Kraken seriously. That and Behemoth is responsible for one of the best quotes in 40k.

We cannot live through this. Mankind cannot live through this. In a single day they have covered the surface of this planet with a flood of living blades and needle-fanged mouths. Kill one and ten take its place. If they are truly without number then our race is doomed to a violent death before every shred of our civilization is scoured away by a force more voracious than the fires of hell themselves! Death! By the Machine God, Death is here!
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:36 pm »

slay your own species by the thousands for uttering the wrong cantations and rituals
Honestly speaking, Eldar should be the ones seeing sense in slaying your own for wrong cantations and rituals, as they fucked a Chaos God into existence, once.
They just teach them how to do it right.

From birth.

Constantly.

For hundreds of years.

And have mary sue excellent memories.

And are all natural psykers so it's a lot easier for the knowledge to stay ingrained within the culture.

And also they don't actually do cantations all that much.

I'm talking about the method one prays to the Emperor, here. Not psyker shit. And to some extent the Cult Mechanicus, but ehhh. They don't kill people so much as issue plasma guns.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3163 on: March 01, 2016, 08:20:08 am »

They just teach them how to do it right.
They teach them nowadays, before it was basically DO WHATEVER YOU WANT COS' ELDAR LIFE IS FREE.
From birth.
Less time to fuck up if there are only like five seconds after your birth when you can fuck up before brainwashing.
Constantly.
Good for them, that they need some constant reminders.
For hundreds of years.
Eh, they might not be that great again if it takes them hundreds of years to grasp such basic concept as "NOT FUCKING AN CHAOS GOD INTO EXISTENCE".
And have mary sue excellent memories.
That explains why they do that, though it would be hard to forget FUCKING AN CHAOS GOD INTO EXISTENCE, AND BASICALLY PSYCHIC GENOCIDE OF THEIR OWN RACE.
And are all natural psykers so it's a lot easier for the knowledge to stay ingrained within the culture.
The all-natural psykers was the reason they fucked up in first place.
And also they don't actually do cantations all that much.
Not anymore, not really.
I'm talking about the method one prays to the Emperor, here. Not psyker shit. And to some extent the Cult Mechanicus, but ehhh. They don't kill people so much as issue plasma guns.
The thing is that Emperor might actually answer those prayers (Sisters of Battle cause miracles on daily basis), and so might Chaos Gods, so "wrong cantations and rituals" might mean "OPENING A FUCKING GATE TO WARP IN MIDDLE OF TERRA" or actually mentioned "FUCKING AN CHAOS GOD INTO EXISTENCE", you don't need to be psyker for psychic entities to act... and Cult Mechanicus cantations are basically maintenance protocols so if you screw up you might end up exploding the entire planet with acient toaster... or, if the thing they're talking to is advanced enough to be called an "Machine Spirit", screwing up might cause it to go on murderous rampage.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: March 01, 2016, 08:26:05 am »

Amusingly Eldar can still fuck up.  :P

It's possible for them to get corrupted by the chaos gods without realising it, it's just way less frequent than it is for humans.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 824