Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971052 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3240 on: March 02, 2016, 07:18:02 pm »

I think the Mechnicus is pretty cool, or at least the aspects that aren't "MY MACHINES!!!" They're pretty much the only faction that really does stuff with Machine Spirits, their fundamental religious strictures are interesting, they're pro-human, and their armed forces are super cool.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: March 02, 2016, 07:18:55 pm »

Speaking of which, do you guys think the fluff will ever have the Tau use their currently-being developed send-stars-into-supernova technology? And then be steamrolled by an Imperium that says 'LOLNOPE NOT HAPPENIN' in response?

Probably not. The Tau are an empire of a few hundred worlds, the moment the Imperium considers them a threat rather than a nuisance they'll get stomped out. GW are pretty good at making sure the Tau are never really anything more than a pest to the Imperium.

Nearly happened in Kauyon/Mont'ka already when Aun'Va released a video saying the Imperium was weak and that the Tau were declaring their new age of expansion into Imperial space. The Imperium responded by setting fire to a caustic nebula that had kept the Tau hemmed in for centuries and destroying every world the Tau had gained any major presence on with Exterminatus. And when I say they set fire to a nebula I literally mean they set fire to a nebula. A huge gulf of caustic material in the void that the Tau had only just found a way through suddenly became a raging maelstrom of fiery death in addition to an acidic nightmare that will burn without end. The Imperium can just warp through it, but the Tau FTL method doesn't bypass it.

The only reason the Imperium went to such lengths was that the Admiral in charge of the Imperial fleet decided they had more important things to do and decided to deny the Tau territory because he could. He got irritated that the Imp Guard and Space Marines were taking too long and went with the 'Fuck it, we have more planets than they have spaceships!' method of defeating the enemy.

Also, in somewhat spoilery note:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: March 02, 2016, 07:26:45 pm »

and their armed forces are super cool.

And in the end, that's what really matters.
No, really.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: March 02, 2016, 07:26:59 pm »

Nids will eat whole galaxy, no more chaos, no more exterminatus.
Good end, Nids are real good guys, join genesteal cult today.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: March 02, 2016, 07:35:39 pm »

I think the Mechnicus is pretty cool, or at least the aspects that aren't "MY MACHINES!!!" They're pretty much the only faction that really does stuff with Machine Spirits, their fundamental religious strictures are interesting, they're pro-human, and their armed forces are super cool.

Are they really pro human though? Yeah they support the human race but they're ultimate goal is to divest themselves of their humanity. But they've always seemed one edict away from hatin' humanity.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3245 on: March 02, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »

Skitarii
are
fucking
badass.

Like those dudes prance around on two legged insect walkers (like, holy shit, I wanted to have Imperial Guard rough riders Winged Hussars but they... woah), shoot people with pure radiation and their gun design is fucking cool. Also robes and hoods and armour all around. Ever since they came out I am utterly confused whether Imperial Guard is still my favourite faction and I liked the Mechanicus armed forces even before, due to how cool they look while they laugh at your inferior technology.

Are they really pro human though? Yeah they support the human race but they're ultimate goal is to divest themselves of their humanity. But they've always seemed one edict away from hatin' humanity.
Kind of. They're still more or less human (or at least they usually have at least 1% human body, usually some portion of the brain) and they always were more of "improve" than "remove", and even then Adeptus Mechanicus aren't all focused on machines, since they dig technology, and biotechnology (CLONING VATS ANYONE?!) counts... Also, as much as they would want to, they can't really make mechanical babies (though, IIRC, I remember there was an canon story about Adeptus Mechanicus couple and they basically grew the baby in a vat and enjoyed looking at it, which is either unbeliveably creepy or... kinda cute, I guess?), at least not yet.
Aaand, considering that their state is way worse than they would want anyone to know, they can't really exist without Imperium, and Imperium cannot live without them. They might be two different institutions, but in the end they're all humans and work for the survival of human race, as that is the core of the Cult Mechanicus.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: March 02, 2016, 08:02:29 pm »

Speaking of which, do you guys think the fluff will ever have the Tau use their currently-being developed send-stars-into-supernova technology? And then be steamrolled by an Imperium that says 'LOLNOPE NOT HAPPENIN' in response?

Probably not. The Tau are an empire of a few hundred worlds, the moment the Imperium considers them a threat rather than a nuisance they'll get stomped out. GW are pretty good at making sure the Tau are never really anything more than a pest to the Imperium.

Nearly happened in Kauyon/Mont'ka already when Aun'Va released a video saying the Imperium was weak and that the Tau were declaring their new age of expansion into Imperial space. The Imperium responded by setting fire to a caustic nebula that had kept the Tau hemmed in for centuries and destroying every world the Tau had gained any major presence on with Exterminatus. And when I say they set fire to a nebula I literally mean they set fire to a nebula. A huge gulf of caustic material in the void that the Tau had only just found a way through suddenly became a raging maelstrom of fiery death in addition to an acidic nightmare that will burn without end. The Imperium can just warp through it, but the Tau FTL method doesn't bypass it.

The only reason the Imperium went to such lengths was that the Admiral in charge of the Imperial fleet decided they had more important things to do and decided to deny the Tau territory because he could. He got irritated that the Imp Guard and Space Marines were taking too long and went with the 'Fuck it, we have more planets than they have spaceships!' method of defeating the enemy.

Also, in somewhat spoilery note:
Jesus. That's news. I mean, I still figure that if the story ever progressed, Tau would either die soon or become more than a minor nuisance (that is to say, a major nuisance), with the infinitely slow crumbling of the Imperium, and the constant expansion/technology development of the Tau. I mean, they'll never take over the galaxy, because anything that defeats the Imperium will eat the Empire with ease even if it was fifty times it's current size, but...what can I say? I like the underdogs. :P

On the second bit,

Just realized, though, the Imperium basically made a non-Warp storm to fuck the Tau. That's actually pretty fucking awesome.

Mechanicus are cool. Dicks, but cool. Everyone is dicks anyway, so it's not actually a mark against them.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3247 on: March 02, 2016, 08:10:52 pm »

I like the underdogs. :P
Underdogs? Fish Of Fury, PLEASE.
Mechanicus are cool. Dicks, but cool. Everyone is dicks anyway, so it's not actually a mark against them.
Considering everything that happened, the Mechanicus are actually proably the least dicks of them all. Sure, they do act like ones, but in the end it's the dickery inside that counts.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: March 02, 2016, 08:14:04 pm »

they've been nerfed you goof and the tau are most certainly an underdog
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3249 on: March 02, 2016, 08:15:53 pm »

they've been nerfed you goof and the tau are most certainly an underdog
It doesn't change anything, the evil has been done and now only hate remains.
FUCK TAU.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: March 02, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »

delicious, bitter, salty tears
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: March 02, 2016, 08:33:10 pm »

On the second bit,

There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: March 02, 2016, 08:35:46 pm »

On the second bit,

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: March 02, 2016, 08:41:31 pm »

Xenotech is profit!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3254 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »

I like how you refeer to Tau as "we", heretic.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 824