Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971566 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3315 on: March 04, 2016, 08:19:37 am »

So in TT SM power armor is one "level" above them? Saves are better the lower they are I assume.

Also if I recall right they don't have the same strength compared to an average human, as in they are weaker than us physically or something like that.

TT armour saves work in a 'roll equal to or better than' fashion, so to pass a 3+ save you need to roll 3, 4, 5 or 6 on a d6, to pass a 5+ you need to roll a 5 or 6. Armour penetration works on an all or nothing basis, an AP5 weapon ignores 5+ and 6+ armour saves but has no effect on 4+, 3+ or 2+ armour saves, so a 1 point difference can have a pretty big effect on surviving against the same weapon types beyond the mere probability of passing a save.

Tau in TT have mostly the same stats as a human, with 3s in most stats, but lower WS, so they're easier to hit in melee than a human is.

The strength and toughness difference is pretty minor in the fluff, unless you're dealing with air caste Tau, who have thin hollow bones and are adapted to low gravity space craft environments. A punch to to the head from the average human could kill one of them in one blow.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: March 04, 2016, 08:51:05 am »

Yeah, Humans v Fire Caste isn't much a matter of strength as it is "skill".
What they gain in technology they lose in facepunch.

Afaik the destroyer hive doesn't give a crap about armor either. (Nurgle's fave plague. Acidflies)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: March 04, 2016, 08:58:10 am »

Tau don't have Khorne to subtly drive them to rip and tear, is my headcanon.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: March 04, 2016, 09:09:44 am »

They're also supposed to have a problem with their eyesight that makes them unsuited to close combat. (Think this is from Xenology originally, not sure though.)

They have very good binocular vision, but they can't focus on nearby things that move rapidly very easily, so close up brawls disorientate and distress them. The flailing limbs, clashing blades and such make it hard for them to fight. The trade off is that they can shoot accurately over a longer distance than humans can. This has contributed to them forming a cultural bias against close combat, which they see as disordered and chaotic, that stops them from doing much to try and teach warriors to fight in melee or make tech to compensate for it. Onager Gauntlets being an unusual exception.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: March 04, 2016, 09:21:05 am »

They do have a culture between ethereals of ritual close combat fighting, though, I think? Though its probably more about tradition and performance rather then actual combat, and no real weapons are used. But ye, actual close combat among the tau is unheard and unseen except for commander farsight, and he's hardly a normal Tau anymore.

I think the Tau in general are also physically inferior to pretty much any other race. Even a normal human could overpower a normal, unarmored tau in close combat, anything bigger and scarier would mean certain death. Eldar would kill them before they even had a chance to fight back, and SM, Orks and and nids would literally tear them apart.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:23:54 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: March 04, 2016, 09:35:11 am »

Honor blades are real weapons. Real in the same sense that the sword on your mantle -place is real, at least.

Fire Caste Tau have better eyesight in some ways than humans, and are generally a bit weaker, but it is a matter of skill and reaction time/physiology, rather than just strength. Orks are also stronger than the average human, but this is only really represented by Furious Charge. Minor differences don't result in full point changes, it takes quite a bit for that. (they do have Initiative of 2 as well, tho)

Conscripts having same WS as Tau shows that it's a matter of skill though, especially since Ethereals can fight just fine. Not great, but fine.

Oh, and Air Caste can withstand more g-force. Whenever that's relevant.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3321 on: March 04, 2016, 09:46:11 am »

It is implied that the main protagonist of Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior (we're mostly speaking of novel here, since game wasn't that exceptional, while the novel also mentioned stuff like Ethereal point of view, which basically shows them as tyrants with little regard of other races and very little respect for their enemies, but actually caring for the Tau they're enslaving), was under very unsubtle Khorne influence (He screams out BLOOD FOR BLOOD GOD at one point, FFS) and he even gets some voices in the head by the end. He proably was one of few Tau who actually became quickly disillusioned of war, Greater Good and realized how shitty everything actually is, which apparently caused some serious rage, which in turn somehow allowed Khorne to influence him... or something. He does stab a Marine with a sword, so there might be some sense in that theory as Tau usually don't do that.

He gets better though, as Shas'o Kais from Dark Crusade is apparently the same guy as Shas'la Kais from the Fire Warrior... and if you consider both appearances, he is one of few actually awesome Tau in Wh40k (it's something that I say this, considering my Promethium-fueled burning hate for Tau), being exceptionally manly, actually caring for his own... Tau lifes, arguing with Davian Cool, and actually shanking a Space Marine.

Also, if you think about it, it seems that it's the Tau that are least brainwashed by Ethereals (Shas'o Kais, Farsight, Commander Brightsword) use melee weapons, so there's that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:10 am »

Any stories on eldar/ dark eldar getting on the path of great crusade?

Is mechanicus fleet better armed then other imperial fleets?
 Why marines are not allowed to have super heavy tsnks, titans and battleships, like they used to in great crusade?
How life is prolonged in imperium?
Are leman russes with subatomic charges awesome?
Are there any good stories written from machine spirit/ tyranid perspective?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:01 am »

Alright, there's some 40k vidya that came out recently and I had no idea about. What are people's opinions of:

- Armageddon
- Regicide
- Dark Nexus Arena
- Eternal Crusade

These totally slipped under my radar, so I haven't seen anything for or against them, besides the Steam average ratings.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3324 on: March 04, 2016, 10:16:31 am »

They have superior technology, like actual autoloaders instead of using slaves to load the skyscraper sized shells into guns (thanks 2nd edition!) and yeah, they are pretty much better armed.
Why marines are not allowed to have super heavy tsnks, titans and battleships, like they used to in great crusade?
Because of Horus Heresy, the same reason why Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard is now split, instead of being one huge Imperial Army. They just don't want one branch to have all the cool toys, as in Navy doesn't have ground troops, Guard cannot move without help of Navy and Space Marines can do basically everything but they lack the heaviest cannons and their ships are purposefully weaker than Imperial Navy ones, so they can be rekt easily.
Genetics, chemical rejuvenation drugs, mechanical augmentation, warp fuckery.
Leman Russes are all awesome.
I don't really know of any story like this that isin't fanfiction.

- Armageddon
If you ever played Panzer General or Panzer Corps or maybe the old Final Liberation, this is kinda how it is. It's basically large scale tactical combat with elements of strategy, but remember that it's built on Panzer Corps so this is a game where you basically follow orders and there isin't a lot of freedom (though you do sometimes get to choose where you're fighting next, but it's usually harder/easier mission selection) other than how to setup your units and use them and whatnot.
Depends on your taste a lot.
- Regicide
Coolio Wh40k chess, has great kill animations but in the end it's just Wh40k themed chess, and no special rules can really change it. Fun, but IMO not really worth it. Maybe there will be more races in future, since now it's like two Space Marine chapters and some Orks.
- Dark Nexus Arena
It's a MOBA, so, if you like it, you'll like it, if you don't, you'll hate it. I haven't played it though (maybe if they add an Imperial Guard  related hero veteran in future), but it apparently is pretty fun. Also you can play as "KHÂRN THE BETRAYER", which is something.
- Eternal Crusade
Buggy as fuck but pretty cool Wh40k shooter. Think wonky multiplayer only Space Marine with a lot of promise but not really a lot of stuff yet. Basically all of the last three things seem to be very unfinished.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: March 04, 2016, 10:18:07 am »

Any stories on eldar/ dark eldar getting on the path of great crusade?

Mechanicus spacecraft tend to have similar weapons to most Imperial craft, but they have rarer support tech like auto-loaders (normal spaceships load their macro-cannons using teams of slaves or crewmen. Some of the more important mechanicus ships have special weapons of extreme rarity, but that's unusual.

When the marines became Chapters rather than Legions they gave up most of their heaviest duty gear because it no longer suited their needs. Chapters are intended to be precision strike forces, a sword rather than a hammer. The Legions on the other hand were intended to be the brute force main line army of the Imperium, a role that is now filled by the Imperial Guard. Baneblades and similar vehicles may be powerful, but they don't suit the preferred deployment style of most marine chapters.

The Imperium can prolong life through something called Rejuvenat Treatment. What it is is never explained, but it apparently reduces the biological age of the subject, extending their lifespan. The effect is diminished the more it's used on any given person though, so unaugmented humans can't really get beyond 2-3 centuries at most. It is very expensive though so only important generals, admirals, lord commissars, inquisitors and the obscenely wealthy get it under normal circumstances. Heavy amounts of mechanical augmentation also extends human life, with some Tech Priests being nigh immortal, and the higher ranks often living several centuries, and occasionally millenia.

Not a clue about the Leman Russ question.

Machine Spirits don't get official stories from their perspective since they've been deliberately left vague as to their true nature. They're intended to be one of the mysterious questions about the setting. Tyranids meanwhile don't have a viable point of view to write from. The lesser organisms are just animals, and the synapse creatures are supposed to be permanently subsumed into an overmind so alien and incomprehensible that being exposed to it drives all but the strongest willed mad and makes psykers heads explode.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:51 am »

-Armageddon. That's the hex-based wargame right? I found it was basically a panzer general wargame with a 40k skin. Really low production values. If you like PG and 40k, this is probably pretty good. If you're not wild about PG, it's a waste of money.

-Regicide. 40k chess game. Has nice animations, a sort of meta progression. Just didn't seem like my kinda game though. You can't just slap 40k on something and make it great, sort of like Armageddon.

-Dark Nexus Arena. Never heard of it.

-Eternal Crusade. Wanted to be like Planetside, ended up like Battlefield. It's got room to grow but that game has been through ups and downs, constantly scaling back its plans and generally just not living up to its own hype. Some say it's good enough to play now, but I'd wait another 6 months at least to see if it just decides to fold or stop development, and what they plan to do about their pay-to-win store.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:31:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: March 04, 2016, 10:25:43 am »

I heard lots of meh things about armaggedon, didn't play it, but people called it just a generic hex based strat game with a 40k skin on it.

Regicide is basically 40K chess. People I didn't expect to like it ended up liking it. Its just a modified chess with 40k skin though.

Dark Nexus Arena seems to be a decent MOBA, with enough differences to make it actualy different from dota/lol. Never played it, though. Its up on steam on early access. Not actualy complete yet.

Eternal Crusade: Its shaping up to be a pretty decent third person shooter, has room from improvement overall. Kinda just a multiplayer deathmatch third person shooter with a 40k theme atm, though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:28:07 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3328 on: March 04, 2016, 10:31:52 am »

I heard lots of meh things about armaggedon, didn't play it, but people called it just a generic hex based strat game with a 40k skin on it.
Hey, the devs never claimed that it's anything else and honestly speaking the quality of Armageddon doesn't really differ a lot from their mainline (well, they're the guys which churn out most of the generic hex strat games nowadays) Panzer Corps (which is really good wargame, but it all really depends if you like wargames like that or not), which Armageddon is basically a heavily modified reskin of. You have to admit that they paid attention in their classes and the game includes basically every piece of known Imperial Guard and Space Marine equipment in Wh40k, like Chimeraxes, Ragnaroks and whatnot, and due to how easy modding for those games is, I belive that there are varying quality mods for most factions in Wh40k.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: March 04, 2016, 10:54:47 am »

What I found frustrating was like, the basic logic of Wargames vs. 40k logic in Armageddon. Like having mobs of boyz destroy your tanks handily. At range. I played one level and was like, "meh." There IS a lot of detail from the 40k armory but...I found basically everything else too basic. SFX were terrible, GFX were not great. The only VOs were during the intro. It's just not the kind of thing I could picture myself playing for long. Disappointing, because I like wargames but it rubbed me the wrong way within the first few minutes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 824