Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965275 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4410 on: June 08, 2016, 12:35:51 pm »

Yeah, everytime you see a thing like that... a wizard did it. Because plot.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: June 08, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »

Erebus made a possessed Pariah during the HH for example, which normally shouldn't be possible.
Shouldn't the pariah cause the possessing daemon to just... cease to be?

The pariah's presence should banish it back into the Warp, which is what normally happens to daemons in true null zones, but Erebus managed to bind a daemon in despite that, at which point the combination became something else, something worse. Spear, as I recall it being called, was in addition to being a potent assassin and a daemonhost, a psychic mirror. He could repel psychic energy back at his enemies.

It is worth bearing in mind that Erebus may well be the greatest daemonologist ever to exist, possibly even greater than Lorgar. A feat like this required the blessings of the gods, immeasurable will, hatred and ambition. I dare say no one else could do it, and even for Erebus it was meant to be a great challenge.

I've not yet read the HH novel the whole daemon-pariah thing happens in, but I've heard mixed things about it, so I'm not sure if it's any good.

EDIT: It's always good to remember that many 40k characters are defined by being abnormal or superior to others. Like Typhus, the only marine to fully bond with the Destroyer Virus, or Kheradruakh the four armed mandrake character with an unrivalled connection to the shadow dimension. Or the Blood Angels character who overcame the Red Thirst and the Black Rage.

A possessed Culexus Assassin isn't really that far out there for characters overcoming their inbuilt failings and weaknesses or breaking the bounds of what is normal for the setting.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:41:50 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: June 08, 2016, 12:40:42 pm »

Can't all Culexus assassins use their weird headlasers to shoot psychic energy absorbed from their environment?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: June 08, 2016, 12:43:52 pm »

Can't all Culexus assassins use their weird headlasers to shoot psychic energy absorbed from their environment?

Not the same thing really. What Spear was supposed to do was reflect the full might of any attack launched at him right back at his attacker, frying them with their own psychic lasers. He was made to kill the Emperor, whose power presumably exceeded any natural pariah's ability to overwhelm.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: June 08, 2016, 12:50:35 pm »

Can blanks have further mutations?

After all, not all mutations are due to chaos. Some pretty strange creatures have risen as a result of noxious chemicals and pollution in the belly of a hive, without chaos being involved (at least, it used to be that way.)
Chaos mutations and genetic mutations are entirely different things. If you're really unlucky, a genetic mutation can start to show in your phenotype (and do horrible things to you), but mostly they fail to take and only get passed on through gametes to your offspring. Chaos mutations, on the other hand, can result in you instantly developing things from tentacles to psychic powers to daemon traits. With a good enough microscope you can observe your DNA, but you can never observe the substance of these mutations because they're alterations to your soul.

This makes blanks kind of interesting, as like psykers their physical genetics do something to the formation of their souls. Blanks are no more resistant to genetic mutations than anyone else, but they're almost immune to chaos mutations. As blanks becalm the "pattern of Chaos" into flat warpspace, the mechanism for chaos mutation is destroyed. However, blanks can be overwhelmed by psykers more powerful than they are blank, and this implies that strong enough attention could make them vulnerable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: June 09, 2016, 02:05:24 am »

Possessed blanks make about as much sense as ork harlequins.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: June 09, 2016, 02:52:57 am »

The thing about your setting being the size of a whole galaxy is, pretty much anything you could imagine exists somewhere in it, regardless of how absurd.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: June 09, 2016, 02:57:26 am »

I have seen some people suggest that the "possessed pariah" wasn't actually possessed at all, but literally surgically sown together with a summoned daemon.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: June 09, 2016, 03:16:21 am »

Still doesn't sound very healthy for the daemon.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: June 09, 2016, 06:58:23 am »

It would probably be one of the most painful things a daemon can go through.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: June 09, 2016, 08:08:16 am »

They feel pain?
Also wouldn't the blank just cause the daemon to discorporiate?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: June 09, 2016, 08:13:33 am »

They feel pain?

They do indeed, they can even be tortured and driven insane by those with the time and dedication.

Also wouldn't the blank just cause the daemon to discorporiate?

Normally yes, but Spear was a special case for some reason. It might have been because he was an experimentally modified Culexus, or maybe it was because it was Erebus doing the summoning and binding, or maybe the chaos gods happened to like the idea enough to try and brute force things through. Once bound into him though the daemon's essence would be trapped in his body and wouldn't be able to be banished back to the Warp properly.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: June 09, 2016, 08:15:53 am »

Slaaneshi definitely feel pain, since they love it and all.

And yes, probably, which is why only one black pariah has ever been recorded. How exactly it was possible defies speculation.

As to if your typical daemons has pain, or other feelings analogous to humans, tough to say. They aren't all that eldritch and are formed primarily from the collective unconsciousness of humans (almost all of Chaos is human or posthuman by M41), so them being comprehensible to mortals is well within the realm of possibility.

One point of note is that daemons are universally noted to panic and show signs resembling fear when confronted with the psy-discipline warpfire, as it attacks them simultaneously in reality and the warp, which can kill them permanently.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: June 09, 2016, 09:03:36 am »

I dunno when I think daemons I think bloodletters, of whom I somehow have the idea that only skulltaker is self-aware.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: June 09, 2016, 09:28:26 am »

I dunno when I think daemons I think bloodletters, of whom I somehow have the idea that only skulltaker is self-aware.

All true daemons are self aware, though there are lesser warp spirits that aren't.

The beast daemons like Flesh Hounds and Seekers are animals, albeit twisted and warped in their mindset, being gross parodies of real animals. The lesser and greater daemons are self aware, capable of speech and a reasonable spectrum of emotion, though they are mostly limited to those that fall under their gods portfolio they aren't entirely limited to them.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 824