Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965281 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4695 on: July 04, 2016, 12:37:11 am »

Also inquisitorial stormtroopers get a pretty bad rap. From what I remember it's a three strike policy, with each strike being a successful victory against a daemonic foe.
Strikes one and two, mind wiping, strike three, execution.

Although I remember a snippet somewhere about an extremely decorated veteran who retired after a 60 years of service, 20 years younger than he should be and only remembering two years of his service.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: July 04, 2016, 01:57:10 am »

FIVE. QUADRILLION.

MY HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL STATISTICS WILL NOT BE DENIED
I believe the actual population of the Imperium was five to fifteen quintillion.
From whence comes this madness?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: July 04, 2016, 02:07:00 am »

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: July 04, 2016, 02:09:35 am »

I 100% think mine is better, on the basis that the biggest chunk, the Hive Worlds, is based on a mean average. No Hive World has trillions of people on it with the possible exception of Terra.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: July 04, 2016, 02:40:11 am »

FIVE. QUADRILLION.

MY HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL STATISTICS WILL NOT BE DENIED
I believe the actual population of the Imperium was five to fifteen quintillion.
Mmhmm. So you're telling me that each of the Imperium's one million planets has about 5-15 trillion people on it? On average, of course, I mean, the largest hive worlds are only around 2 trillion people, after all.

There's only actually about 32,380 hive worlds. 5th Ed Rulebook. Going by the wiki, which says between five and twenty hives per planet, and between 10 and 100 billion people per hive, the average might be around 500 billion people on a hive. Which is stupidly large amounts, mind you. I'm not entirely sure where the oxygen for that comes from. Maybe they import that along with crops from Agri Worlds. Of which you would need, well, several for each Hive World, but we already knew that.

Anyway. 500 billion times 32 thousand is about 16 quadrillion. That's just from Hive Worlds, but Death Worlds and Agri Worlds both have much less than a billion people each, Feral Worlds might have a billion or two, Civilized probably sit around 10 billion people per, and I have basically no idea how many servitors and tech priests inhabit forge worlds. Let's say 10 billion there, as well. If, say, four hundred thousand worlds are Civilized and/or Forge Worlds, then that's another 4 quadrillion there.

If we assume Pleasure Worlds, Cardinal Worlds, Shrine Worlds, etc. sit at an average of 5 billion, and that there's a hundred thousand, that's another 500 trillion. If there's two hundred thousand Feral World and equivalently populated planets, that's maybe 300 trillion more. If the rest of the million, now with just 270,000 planets left to look at, are mostly Agri-Worlds, Barren Worlds, and other things that might average around 500 million if we're very generous, that's about 135 trillion people. If we guess at another 65 trillion or so aboard ships and space stations, then that makes a nice clean 21 quadrillion.

Gotta say. 40k gets it's population number fluff to be quite reasonable, within context. Even if the actual equipment pieces are a bit ridiculous. (Land Raider Armor equivalent strength...and then plasma weapons are trillions of billions of millions of degrees or whatever bullshit >.>)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:42:53 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: July 04, 2016, 03:44:14 am »

small loan of a million psykers

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4701 on: July 04, 2016, 06:50:06 am »

How many people live on Terra, based MSH of stat magic minister?

Also inquisitorial stormtroopers get a pretty bad rap. From what I remember it's a three strike policy, with each strike being a successful victory against a daemonic foe.
Strikes one and two, mind wiping, strike three, execution.

Although I remember a snippet somewhere about an extremely decorated veteran who retired after a 60 years of service, 20 years younger than he should be and only remembering two years of his service.
Is that for stormtroopers or for distinguished guard veterans in the rank and file who had contact with chaos? IIRC, spehss mahrines can sometimes get mindwipes if they get into contact with chaos demons, but then again stuff like that seems to vary from writer to writer/inquisitor to inquisitor. Of note is that stormtroopers are usually the most zealous of orphas trained with a lifetime of education, prayer and military training to the point where they're used as standard guards of the black ships, and you don't want anyone who can fall to chaos crewing a ship full of angry psykers

Also the first war of Armageddon, where the inquisition takes the survivors and sterilizes them/puts them in work camps, ensuring their people would all die whilst new worlders arrived - the people fought against chaos, but the inquisition was not so bothered (by inquisitorial standards) about the people knowing that. They were bothered by the people finding out about the existence of the demon primarch Angron the angryyyy
So maybe only greater demons/princes count?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: July 04, 2016, 12:58:57 pm »

what's the thing with the gray knight having doubt casted by Tzeentch?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: July 04, 2016, 01:02:58 pm »

How many people live on Terra, based MSH of stat magic minister?
Terra's description says it has people in the "billions", but otherwise doesn't specify. The world of Ichar IV has the greatest recorded population in the Imperium at 500 billion, and I think it's fairly safe to assume Terra is the most populated world. As such, this puts Terra's population somewhere between 500 billion and 1 trillion.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: July 04, 2016, 02:14:01 pm »

what's the thing with the gray knight having doubt casted by Tzeentch?

Part of the current fluff has the Changeling causing the Grey Knights to destroy worlds by corrupting slightly then sneaking out on refugee ships so the Grey Knights have to kill those too, and the whole mess is making a younger Knight wonder if his lot are doing the right thing.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: July 05, 2016, 11:22:02 am »

I think it's fairly safe to assume Terra is the most populated world.
Why?

A: I think it has actually been stated that it is the most populous before. In a 'none more-so than Terra' kind of way in some blurb about Hive World populations.

B: Terra is a world spanning city more developed and long standing than any other. Daily it receives millions, if not billions, of pilgrims and scholars seeking blessings or knowledge. Even with millions/billions dying on the world daily at the hands of the Arbites, slaving to death in manufactoria, being kidnapped and ground into servitor fuel, so on and so forth the population still rises.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: July 05, 2016, 11:44:38 am »

Ah.

Isn't travel to Holy Terra extremely expensive tho?
Almost certainly expensive in the extreme. And the lines are insane.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: July 05, 2016, 12:17:41 pm »

Ah.

Isn't travel to Holy Terra extremely expensive tho?
Almost certainly expensive in the extreme. And the lines are insane.

Literally could die of old age waiting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: July 05, 2016, 12:20:11 pm »

All that for a chance to have front-row seats should the Golden Crapper ever crap itself, killing the Emperor, and basically the only thing keeping Eye of Terror 2.0  from coming out of His bony ass failing.

Literally could die of old age waiting.

Then again, if you're wealthy enough to travel to Terra, you can probably afford juvenation treatments.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: July 05, 2016, 12:23:00 pm »

Depends. If you're a pilgrim who sold all your possessions and a couple organs just to be herded on a pilgram transport to Terra like cattle.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 824