Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971307 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5280 on: August 09, 2016, 02:56:02 pm »

Orkz kind of always win tho, in their own mindset. They don't care if they die as long as they die fighting, which is always. They don't care about running away either, since it means they'll come back for more later, and they love fighting because it means they'll eventualy win, in a way or another, in their own mindset. Orks have no angst or suffering, and barely even feel pain, they're literally in heaven in a setting like  40k, unless they somehow get individually stranded in space, then its prob hell.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: August 09, 2016, 02:59:18 pm »

Why would orks respect their enemies? Orks always win.

What I find funny about this is it is sort of self-defeating... but it makes so much sense from a psychological standpoint.

It reminds me of a old movie I watched about this villain who is nearly all powerful, no one can close to defeating him. Yet the only thing he wants is to find someone who can defeat him because being invincible is kind of boring. Yet every time someone who is about to defeat him appears he wimps out and cheats in some fashion to win... He wants someone to defeat him but he doesn't want to lose.

The Orks think themselves the best and that they always win. Yet their entire lives rely on finding opponents that will not go down so easily.
Kung Fu Hustle?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: August 09, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »

Why would orks respect their enemies? Orks always win.

What I find funny about this is it is sort of self-defeating... but it makes so much sense from a psychological standpoint.

It reminds me of a old movie I watched about this villain who is nearly all powerful, no one can close to defeating him. Yet the only thing he wants is to find someone who can defeat him because being invincible is kind of boring. Yet every time someone who is about to defeat him appears he wimps out and cheats in some fashion to win... He wants someone to defeat him but he doesn't want to lose.

The Orks think themselves the best and that they always win. Yet their entire lives rely on finding opponents that will not go down so easily.
Kung Fu Hustle?
*Krork Fu Hustle
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: August 09, 2016, 03:04:06 pm »

Hey! I don't hate them either and I also look forward ramming and boarding their puny ships with the full might of Imperial Navy and Space Marines!
Right on!

Actually that reminds me about Battlefleet Gothic.  Armada looks pretty good, but I was looking into the tabletop a bit and found "Leviathan", which is apparently a mobile version of the tabletop game.  People are saying it's pretty true to the rules.  $6, has anyone tried it?
Doesn't seem to have chaos actually, unlike Armada.  Just space marines, Imperial navy, and Tyranids for now.  (Tau when)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10:15 pm »

In fairness, Tau do have some Dark-age Era tech, but only stuff like terraforming (the only terraforming the Imperium does is with Cyclonic Torpedoes).
This is misinformed. Terraforming is by all accounts a known and widespread technology, but no faction other than the Tau and the Tyranids have any need to terraform planets. The age of terraforming for humans has come and past. Why do you think there are so many earthlike worlds in the galaxy?
Tau also have continent sized space station city-fortresses, which, while I'm one hundred percent certain the Imperium had at some point, I believe have all been lost by this point.

Also

ork rule galaxy is only true utopia, true communist society land of squigs and waaagh.

I look forward to the Tau update though I wish they had included both fleet types. It was pretty interesting to me how they used the Space Marine Boarding Torps and Thunderhawks as basically test vehicles to see how balanced it will be to include those elements and work out bugs. Space Marine+Tau=ordnance like no tomorrow. Space Marines can serve as tanks and boarding units, as well as crippling larger enemy vessels with various assault actions, while Tau use long-range weapons and concentrated firepower to pick off stragglers and harassing elements. I very much look forward to it.

Wot about orenj?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: August 09, 2016, 03:24:36 pm »

"Leviathan"..., has anyone tried it?
It's good, really. Not as hooking as Armada but is awesome by all accounts. Play it on a tablet rather than a phone for a better experience.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:38:01 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: August 09, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »

Table... oh, tablet :P
I only mention because I was originally looking into the tabletop version, which was released for free download, so I was legit confused a moment.

Wot about orenj?
Orenj iz jus yello and red together.  Fast flashy!
The red ones still go fastah, tho.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: August 09, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »

I think people are giving Tau too little credit.

If they really added so little to the conflict then wow did creative assembly drop the ball.

Though I better start reading up before I make any real objections

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: August 09, 2016, 03:30:41 pm »

Eh they're certainly puny now.  Imperium could definitely wipe them out, and I don't even think it would destroy the Imperium to do so.  But eh... it miiight?  Drawing any forces away from the Eye of Terror is a dangerous game, and I'm sure several planets would be lost to ork infestations.  Dark Eldar piracy would be even more unstoppable, and the Eldar might engage a few gambits of opportunity.

Imperium could crush the brazen xenos, but it would hurt.  And they're mostly harmless, at least for now.  (I think they have potential through SCIENCE and INTEGRATION though)
She/they

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: August 09, 2016, 03:45:00 pm »

I think people are giving Tau too little credit.

If they really added so little to the conflict then wow did creative assembly drop the ball.

Though I better start reading up before I make any real objections

The entire Tau empire could more or less fit inside the realm of Ultramar.

They're basically just yet another individually better than humans but few in numbers race relying on technological superiority to make up for being tiny, except unlike the Eldar, Dark Eldar and Necrons they're stuck in a small corner of space and can't travel fast as well as being ignorant of the wider ramifications of galactic warfare. They can't really impact anything much beyond their own territory.

Hell, even the Kroot are more widespread than the Tau, and they deliberately stunt their own technology.

In the grand scheme of things the Tau are roughly on par with the Rak'Gol or Slaugh, somewhere below the extinct Yuu'Vath.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: August 09, 2016, 04:09:51 pm »

In presence, maybe, but the rak'gol are kinda primitive by comparison in anything except bionics. Their tech is weird because most of it was provided by their Yuu'vath masters, and not actualy developed by themselves. Doesn't mean a single rak'gol pirate wouldn't tear the shit out of  multiple Tau, anyway. The Yuu'vath were prob at least on the level of the imperium at its peak, though still inferior to the eldar, I think.

Tau individualy are kinda inferior to humans tho. A tau without proper equipment and constant ethereal mind control to keep them from just shitting their pants in battle is probably about as threatening as a human child. The Tau's strenght come from their technology and their slavesallies, most of which could easily surpass the tau with proper technology. Emprah have mercy on the galaxy if the kroot ever decide to become conquerors.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: August 09, 2016, 04:42:22 pm »

Dudes, if the Tau are a playable race, for better or worst they are important in some way. They might be a relatively small threat but it's a growing one, and more dangerous is one filled with potential (potential to blossom or to fuck up, both terrifying options for everyone else). They already managed to "stop" a crusade (long enough to be saved by luck) and they have proven to be a force to reckon with.

And this is coming from a ardent Imperial fan.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: August 09, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »

The Tau were introduced to get the new, younger, weebier crowd into Warhammer, and it kinda shows.

One the galactic scale, they don't really have relevance. They have their own little bit of space, but they're not really important. Every other faction, to me, feels a lot more tied in with the general lore and history of 40k.

Dudes, if the Tau are a playable race, for better or worst they are important in some way. They might be a relatively small threat but it's a growing one, and more dangerous is one filled with potential (potential to blossom or to fuck up, both terrifying options for everyone else). They already managed to "stop" a crusade (long enough to be saved by luck) and they have proven to be a force to reckon with.

And this is coming from a ardent Imperial fan.
They're important for GW's wallets, at least.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: August 09, 2016, 04:48:48 pm »

Hrud (second, green is best) master race.

Neo, it's Games Workshop. CA just makes the Total Wars. I'm pretty sure I already told you this before.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: August 09, 2016, 04:51:10 pm »

Emprah have mercy on the galaxy if the kroot ever decide to become conquerors.
The kroot could be pretty dangerous as tyranid-lite.  But not even close to the same level, really.  The Tau provide space travel, air support, fire support, and unity.  Without all that, they would only "tyrannize" a few planets :P

The Tau were introduced to get the new, younger, weebier crowd into Warhammer, and it kinda shows.
Yeah much as I like them, I don't deny this.  I'm not a hardcore fan, but I guess it helped get me interested.  Dunno if I'd have bought Dark Crusade if not for Tau, and I've bought a few other things since.
No miniatures though.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 824