Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965428 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #7050 on: October 14, 2016, 07:17:21 am »

Yes but no.
First Terminator armour pattern, the Cataphractii was based on three things:
1 - Regular Space Marine power armour.
2 - Dreadnoughts (hence the name, Tactical Dreadnought Armour)
3 - Heavy duty H(azardous) E(n)V(ironment) suits used by Gordons Freemans of past, the dudes who did engineering in space, interior of nuclear reactors and whenever.
So, indeed, parts of it could be technically traced back to the mining suits of old, but they're original creations of Techno-barbarians, Emperor and Adeptus Mechanicus because during the Great Crusade, humanity actually got shit done. Indeed, neither Power Armour (at least not the used by Marines, STCs of other versions exist), Dreadnoughts or Terminator Armour is produced using STCs. Titans also don't have STCs, except Castigator (but he's special snowflake) for that matter.
SO, SUPRISINGLY, MECHANICUS ALSO ACTUALLY ARE CAPABLE OF DOING STUFF THAT ACTUALLY REQUIRES TECHNOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED!???!?!?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: October 14, 2016, 10:15:29 am »

Or maybe it's okay because it's adapting previous tech, and the Emperor helped, and actually nevermind it was probably done before they got all (justifiably) paranoid about innovation.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7052 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:19 am »

It's okay.
It should be noted that the act of producing Titans is so obscenely filled with useless (or is it?) shit like lighting scented candles, dancing around parts and singing praise to Machine Spirit that it takes ten times more than it could, so maybe that's why it's not heresy.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: October 14, 2016, 10:35:44 am »

The Mechanicus may be publicly against inventing things, but in secret they still do so on the quiet and then pretend they found something old and just slip the new thing into the standard system of rites and spirituality they do for everything else. Long as none of the inventors rivals can prove the new thing was actually made from scratch rather than rediscovered they usually get away with it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: October 14, 2016, 12:17:46 pm »

It's okay.
It should be noted that the act of producing Titans is so obscenely filled with useless (or is it?) shit like lighting scented candles, dancing around parts and singing praise to Machine Spirit that it takes ten times more than it could, so maybe that's why it's not heresy.

As I remember, in battlefleet gothic there was a bit about earth caste scientists and engineers trying to get into how captured imperial voidcraft works - they decided, that all rituals, chantings, candles and sacred oils are superstitution and that you can just get with pressing right buttons and activation phrases, and ships just did not work or were travelling in even slower speeds then tau ships already did. Then tau scientist team came up to conclusions 1)  red robe guelas dont understand, what they are doing at all 2) this is some weird bullshit and you cant reverse engineer it

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: October 14, 2016, 12:25:37 pm »

Powered By HumanityTM.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: October 14, 2016, 12:39:30 pm »

Thus why the Tau will never become dangerous: It first requires them to overcome and dismiss their own sneering imperialist presumption of reason, which the Tau would rather die than do. The Imperium's technology is safe thanks to the tireless efforts of the machine spirits.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: October 14, 2016, 12:46:25 pm »

[Insert joke here about Xenos scum not BESEECHING THE MACHINE SPIRIT]

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7058 on: October 14, 2016, 01:36:53 pm »

40,000 reasons why Imperium of Man is cool.
Reason number 33043 - Being so rational that magic is science and so superstitious that science is magic... at the same time.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: October 14, 2016, 01:43:51 pm »

"Für den Imperator!" we drop the god part mostly because it doesnt roll as well as in english as in it sounds terrible. Actually many of the English battle cries and mantras don't work in german so they have by and large been replaced.
You mean, wholly different phrases? Could you give some examples perhaps?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Sieg heil would proably not work, for one. :P

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

"Für den Imperator!" we drop the god part mostly because it doesnt roll as well as in english as in it sounds terrible. Actually many of the English battle cries and mantras don't work in german so they have by and large been replaced.

I actually just spent a quarter hour listening to quotes form dawn of war 1 and 2 units in german and english to find some...oddly enough i didnt find any. And i can't come up with an example either :P
But there are a bunch of different ones. If i find them ill post them if you want but yeah none of them are really memorable.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

Speaking of lines from DoW, I kind of want a 'Fear me, but follow!' t-shirt.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

I actually just spent a quarter hour listening to quotes form dawn of war 1 and 2 units in german and english to find some...oddly enough i didnt find any. And i can't come up with an example either :P
But there are a bunch of different ones. If i find them ill post them if you want but yeah none of them are really memorable.

No need to make an effort, but if you come across one I'd be interested. Just to see how 40K sounds in another language (in the sense of how it would be phrased, not how it literally sounds, I know how German sounds).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I know, for one, that some things are changed a lot in Polish, sometimes quite... weirdly.
Like, Primarch is changed to approximately Patriarch which makes me wonder about the sanity of the translator to this day. Warmaster was for quite a while translated as Hetman before being changed to more literal Master of War (Mistrz Wojny), thankfully. I belive the Warp was translated as "Spacznia". "Spaczyć" means "to twist/warp", but the problem lies that it's usually used to describe what happens when wet wood deforms, but eh...
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 824