Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965535 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Hanti-panti supermartini, opel-mini supermartini, hodi-hinni suppras-puccini, hanti-panti supermartini
By The Emperor, I can hear it!
I CAN HEAR IT!?
DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO!?!

Quote from: Random Chaos Lord
TELL THAT STUPID ASS SMURF VILLAGE TO FUCK RIGHT OFF! THEIR CONSTANT CHANTING IS DRILLING INTO MY MIND LIKE THE LOVE CHILD OF A LOUD SPEAKER AND A JACKHAMMER!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:27:00 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile

"Oh, to hear other voices than those of our horribly maimed and disfigured guardmen... The soft chime of injured conscripts scattered tastefully across the battlefield and elegantly crawling around to find their arms... The delightful crackle they make under the threads when the heavy armour rolls over them for the counter-attack... Ah... Music to our ears. To be there to hear it... Who could wish it to be droned out?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Now that what true music is, kamerad. I do not like the Ultramarines, playing that insipid song of theirs all day long. It completely ruins the mood."

Hauptmann Johan von Gasmask IX; Officer, gentleman, completely off his rocker.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

This is why Death Korps are not popular choices for leading combined operations.
This is why Death Korps are not popular at all.

Menschentropfen, eh?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying to get RTD about holding the line going, may be any of you might get interested

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Finally gonna take the plunge and sell my guard.
Figured I'd put an ad up for something just under the ridiculous $2,500 my army is worth RRP and leave it to stew for a few months to see if I get any nibbles.
Would you mind putting up a picture of the entire set before you sell it? Out of curiosity what kind of army 2.500 dollars buys you (I assume you're not counting paint and manhours into that figure)?
No, paint and manhours are usually a depreciating factor, strangely enough.
$2,500 AUD seems to buy less than you'd expect, but more than you'd think.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:16:07 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

Figured I'd put an ad up for something just under the ridiculous $2,500 my army is worth RRP and leave it to stew for a few months to see if I get any nibbles.
Would you mind putting up a picture of the entire set before you sell it? Out of curiosity what kind of army 2.500 dollars buys you (I assume you're not counting paint and manhours into that figure)?
That's strange. Couldn't you just, y'know, dunk them in solvent if you wanted to repaint them?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's strange. Couldn't you just, y'know, dunk them in solvent if you wanted to repaint them?

It's almost impossible to get all the paint off, especially on a badly painted model with overly thick layers of paints, glue marks in all sorts of places, and some that may even have paints not intended for miniatures on them. The only real way to get a mini that paints like it's new is to get a new one, or at least an unpainted second hand one. Speaking as someone who's bought a lot of second hand minis it's always better from a modeling and painting perspective to get a new one than try to salvage someone else's shitty work, or your own shitty work from prior years.

A well painted mini is usually worth 2-3 times it's original value, sometimes much more though. With a good base, good paint job and a some special bling like OSL or NMM that's tricky to pull off something like a £45 Heldrake can have a value of well over a hundred pounds.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Step 1. Buy lot of minis.
Step 2. Paint them gloriously.
Step 3. Sell.
Step 4. ? ? ? (AVOID CEASE AND DESIST LETTERS)
Step 5. PROFIT!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really. Well-painted models are usually ordered on commission.
I've never heard of someone dumping an army, even of professionally painted models and expecting to get anywhere near RRP.

Y'know, otherwise I'd actually put effort into painting this one.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed. By 'well painted' I basically meant Studio Painted, which is usually done on a commission basis, though not always. You can occasionally see a few examples of them floating around eBay.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't even want to know what the pricetag on studio painting would be for ~100 cadians.
Even my half-ass batch paintjob was one of the more soul crushing things I've done.

Very happy to have moved on to Tau. For whatever reason the virtually-identical fire warriors are proving way easier to paint.
It's because their clothes are black. Makes it far easier to justify when you don't have to waste time and paint doing 2/3 coats on a grunt.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

This is why small units can actually be more pricey than big ones. Chimera is basically a box, and knowing a few tricks it's easy to do it right, while each of those 100 Cadians has to have a face and so on.
So you really need to THIN YOUR PAINTS.
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Menschentropfen, eh?

Back when i read the fanfic, i actually searched a while in the hope of someone actually having done the song somewhere...

What i found was Chopins "Regentropfen", i don't know if this is the "canon" Regentropfen meant when the author wrote the fanfic, but in my head thats what they always played:

Regentropfen

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my experience standard markup for a good tabletop standard paintjob for a 10 man unit or a single character model is £10-£15.

At a rough guess 10 studio quality guardsmen would probably be something like £50 on top of the models value, not that it'd be a common thing because of how ugly the minis are. FW Kriegsmen/Elysians would be a more likely thing to see among the human range.

I have seen one or two Command Squad + Character (I think they were all Space Marine ones) type studio packages for £100+ before though, and that's just half a dozen models.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

That's what I did too. I belive this is certainly what the author was referencing but still not the actual real Death Korps Regentropfen (obviously) which does not exist. It certainly fits, though.
I must say that this is what I tend to use when drawing Korpsmen.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 824