Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971526 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8565 on: March 22, 2017, 09:31:38 pm »

Hey, at least it's good-tasting goose.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: March 22, 2017, 11:40:57 pm »

Its a real shame they never made a single sequel to dawn of war.

real shame.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: March 23, 2017, 05:06:42 pm »

Well you know, some games just never get sequels. Like how Duke Nukem never got its promised sequel. But hey, the industry is fickle; maybe someday we'll get a spiritual successor.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: March 23, 2017, 05:49:54 pm »

I never understood this "it has no sequel" thing, outside sarcasm (unsure if it is the case here, but I've seen it without the /s). A sequel/prequel/film/whataveyou can be bad, or mediocre, or contentious or whatnot. Failing to acknowledge it though, means you can't learn from what went wrong with it and avoid it in the future.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: March 23, 2017, 05:54:19 pm »

It could be that Dawn of War 2 is so different than the first that it is kind of "In name only" which is RARE but it happens.

Dune 2... In spite having that 2 label... really isn't a sequel in any tangible way to the first game.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:36 pm »

Is the idea. Sequels are usually 'more of the same' whereas DoW II was more or less a completely different game, and now DoW III is a moba.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:31 pm »

DoW III is a moba.
No. I'd say it's a bastardized moba/aos (prefer aos, but whatever) at best. I like that sort of game and DoW3 seems unappealing to me.

I do wonder about a few things though. If heroes and the mega units are pretty much able to cleave through entire armies on their own, what's the point of regular units as anything but fodder? For instance, why would I event want, as orks, to train kommandoes when they are just going to be slaughtered, a task better suited to the more numerous default boyz?

While they tried to innovate, it seems to me that they got too caught up in the innovating part and never stopped to ask themselves if it actually works as a game.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: March 23, 2017, 08:00:05 pm »

I am not a fan of "Big heroes" in strategy games.

They just end up being too dominant.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: March 23, 2017, 08:05:53 pm »

Warcraft 3 did it pretty well. They were strong, important, but could never carry the game on their own. You could even snipe enemy heroes with your regular units, or bodyblock them with basic units.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: March 23, 2017, 08:09:04 pm »

Warcraft 3 did it pretty well. They were strong, important, but could never carry the game on their own. You could even snipe enemy heroes with your regular units, or bodyblock them with basic units.

Warcraft 3 is what made me start to dislike them.

Just play against a Dark Elf player and watch as suddenly your entire strategy revolves around just them... as they constantly harass you.

Not to mention that the heroes, because they are so vital to any strategy you commit to, need you to go out of your way to pump them up. Meaning that suddenly 50% of your game time is now devoted to these three individual units.

Warcraft 3 only lacks the flaw that these heroes don't single handedly take down armies. Yet they are good examples of why someone would dislike Big Heroes.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:12:30 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: March 23, 2017, 08:13:43 pm »

SP was okay for WC3, MP was a mess.  Heroes were the lifeblood of it, and I didnt enjoy it.

The campaign of 3 was okay enough.  I still remember 2.  I loved it, but when I went to revisit it I was shocked at just how old it was.  Small maps, units with obvious backgrounds so as to look like tile cards, and simple ai, even despite the customization in the pathing via waypoints and patrol routes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: April 02, 2017, 06:04:59 am »

That's pretty adorable.

... Although, the Tempestus Scion seems to have some rather outdated armour (Better or worse.. No comment).
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8578 on: April 02, 2017, 07:34:29 am »

It's made by the guy who makes Eagle Ordinary. I wish I had half his style. I will never be as cool as he is. ;-;
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: April 08, 2017, 04:36:42 pm »

Thinking about random things to keep myself sane from the endless drudgery of work, I had an idea, a WH40k mod for Emperor of the Fading Suns. A quick Google search shows that such a thing does not seem to exist.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 824